1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Tucker: Could he be our everyday LF in 2018?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Feb 25, 2018.

?

Is Kyle Tucker ready to be our everyday LF?

1. No, kid needs some more time in the minors to work on a few things.

2. Yes, potential is oozing from him, let's get this party started!

3. Maybe, its still early in Spring Training, let's not hyperventilate over the kind just yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This. Even if he struggles ala Bregman the lineup has enough punch to weather it.

2. Buck Turgidson

Huh?

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

4. jayfree

jayfree Member

I understand what you are trying to say but this year the Astros are not in need of HAVING to call him up as much as the players of previous seasons. If they call him up in June THIS year (which they may now that he had a great spring) then the clock starts right away. However, if they do not call him up at that time then they could still do so in September (when the minor league season ends) have him for the post season to help, not put him on the active roster again until late May of 2019 and still retain that extra year. The Astros would not lose a year of service with him and they would get his help in the post season in 2018 and down the stretch.

This is exactly what the White Sox did with Moncada last September to see what he was about.

5. Buck Turgidson

So there's that, you jackass..?

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So that, there is.

7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

OK, I just changed my vote. Give him 2 weeks down in AA and #Letsgetthispartystarted!!!

Hemo_jr likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Berkman came up in July, but started the next year in the minors.

9. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

This kid will be up in June at the earliest.

10. Buck Turgidson

Indeed.

11. Marteen

Marteen Member

I agree with letting him marinate in the oven in fear of him being rushed. I’m glad our fans and players are giving him that confidence.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

21 RBIs in 41 at bats, ridiculous!

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Puma and Trout both came up in July, and didn't perform well. If they had, both would have likely been a permanent midseason call up. They weren't called up at the very end of the season to have a look. Both teams certainly did proceed to manipulate their time the next season though. If you call them up for a month and they tear it up, sending them down to start the next season is gonna be harder to defend.

The more I see of Tucker, the more I think he may be up in April. Super 2 be damned, he's at least our 3rd best hitter in the outfield right now.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Could Tucker be better than Correa? His swing is pretty sick.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think he could certainly be at or better than Correa with the bat. If I remember, Correa's power was projected to be a little higher, but otherwise their offensive outlooks were pretty similar as prospects.

But Correa is a middle infielder and Tucker is a corner outfielder, so he will never be as valuable as Correa unless he basically becomes Mike trout or Correa falls off.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Correa has the raw power edge. I would give Tucker the edge on loft, though. If Tucker can hit MLB pitching, he's going to hit a lot of homers as he gets the ball up in the air so easily.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, he's hit 30 HR in 139 games between the minors last season and ST. I don't really see his ability to hit for significant power being in question anymore, he gets the ball deep very easily.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just curious what the difference in service time is between Tucker and Ronald Acuna Jr? They're saying Acuna will be called back up around April 13th. Would it be the same for Tucker if the Astros so choose?

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

April 13th gets the Braves an extra year of Acuna, but it will give Acuna 3 minimum years and 4 arbitration years. By waiting to mid June, Astros would lose a couple months of Tucker in 2018, but have 4 minimum years and 3 arbitration years. I'm guessing Astros are probably weighting that 4th Arbitration year in the 20 million dollar range. I doubt Astros expect Tucker to be worth 20 million from April 13th to mid June.

I hope they fix this next CBA.

leroy likes this.
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Thanks...

So, there's no difference other than the Braves wanting Acuna up earlier and the Astros not really needing Tucker right away. I hope they fix this, too. It's silly. There's no logical reason to hold these kids down other than the service time issue. To say that they need more time is a joke (even if that's what I voted for originally in this thread's poll). Tucker is ready. Acuna is ready.