1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Shanahan leaving the Browns?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Jan 7, 2015.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If Kubiak is able to get a head coaching job somewhere I'm sure Kyle will follow him

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'll pass

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I feel like the NFL is going to tire on him soon if not already. Might be time for him to give college a try. He might actually be better there.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We don't run that offense anymore, why would we bring him in?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This was his only opportunity away from both Kubiak and his dad... and the results were less than stellar (teams definitely adjusted to his initial run heavy approach, and he showed very little adjustment ability).

He's not really proven himself to warrant all these OC opportunities he's gotten... I agree that he probably should go to the college ranks and pay some actual dues.

8. Pete the Cheat

Daddy Shanahan and Kubes have both been linked to the Chicago job. He will find another OC gig in the NFL somewhere....

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He did have a talent issue in Cleveland; Hoyer is awful, Gordon has spent most of the past two years suspended and their big FA acquisition (Tate) proved a waste of money.

If he's still a viable candidate, I would imagine that's why.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a> will interview <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Browns?src=hash">#Browns</a> OC Kyle Shanahan for their vacant head coaching job on Thursday, source said.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/552864759511810050">January 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Kubiak will be perfect for the Bills job especially if they keep Schwartz as the DC.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Kubiak is an OC and no more. Bills would be better served finding a HC who understands offense, defense and special teams.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

10-6 and 12-4 with a competent DC says otherwise. Get him a competent QB and you have a playoff team.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I wish the best of luck to whatever team hires his dad..................

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Kubiak strikes me as one of those guys who learned his lessons from his first HC job, and will now use that knowledge to become a better HC in his second go-around. He'll need a good DC and QB, but how many offensive-minded head coaches can get by without either of those things? I think whoever gets Kubiak this time around is going to get a hell of a coach.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All true... but most coordinators make their marks by taking a team that's either under-performing or with little expectations (because of a perceived lack of talent), and they turn those programs around and make themselves a HC candidate.

Kyle Shanahan is a head coach candidate now, why? Was bad in Cleveland and showed diminishing returns and regression under his dad in Washington (a stint that included player confrontations with him that helped contribute to his firing).

His best run of success was now over 4 years ago in Houston... under Kubiak. Is that why he's getting consideration? I've never seen a HC candidate who's accomplished as little as he has during his coaching tenure.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If one of these retro Bronco-esque offensive guys ever get the opportunity to team up with an Aaron Rogers/Andrew Luck type the League will definitely be put on notice.

18. Remii

Remii Member

To add _ they also lost their best offensive linemen and had to depend on rookie RB's... And the defense was trash. The games they did win was because of Shanahan.

It's just an interview dude... Todd Bowles has been interviewing for head coaching jobs forever and hasn't gotten one yet. A lot of head coaches had to go through that process. And it's not like Kyle is the only person Buffalo is interviewing.

19. Remii

Remii Member

A lot of head coaches aren't great as 1st time head coaches. It's a list of coaches that had success their 2nd time around. I don't know how Kubiak would do but it's not outside the realm of possibility that he would be successful. He wouldn't be my 1st choice though. Hopefully he learned that he should leave GM duties to the GM while he's in Baltimore. I think one of his biggest problems was personnel issues.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Kubiak only hired a competent DC, after 5 years of defensive failures and the owner made him. To see what hen Kubiak does when left to his own devices, see his Special Teams coordinator.