1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe is not human...I have proof

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old School, Dec 21, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Here's a question for all of you so in love with Shaq: if you had to start a team, would you really start it with him? To me, I don't care how dominant he is in the first three quarters. The fact remains that in the 4th quarter you cannot give him the ball because he cannot make free throws. If you want to start with a big man, I'd take Tim Duncan. Will he be as dominant throughout the game? Not quite. But at least you don't have to worry about giving him the ball in the 4th quarter. The majority of playoff and championship games are won down the stretch, and for the most part Shaq is a liability. I don't think he would be viewed as near the same player if not for Kobe, because in the Lakers offense Kobe makes things happen in the closing minutes. He keeps Shaq from being exposed.

However, Kobe also greatly benefits from Shaq's presence, as many have mentioned. Shaq commands double teams, triple teams, and is a good passer for a big man. Ever wonder why Kobe looks so good on defense? It's because he can afford to take chances. Who cares if his man gets by him a time or two? He has the human eraser in Shaq behind him. Both Kobe and Shaq compliment each other extremely well, but individually they are not flawless. McGrady, Carter, and possibly Pierce could put up similar numbers and have much the same impact in the Lakers system. Kobe and Shaq are definitely the best tandem in the NBA, but individually I'm not sure if they would be the top two players. It's how they compliment each other that makes them and LA look so good.

2. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Finally your rival with pictures...But can he stock his victims like you..

That is one awesome "movie"....djteknokid...

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

...The Cat is killed.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Edit: found it.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Thats part of our problem, we don't have any good big players 6'6 and up. Our best player is 6'3 and 6'4. Kobe, Vice, Tracy, Allen, the list can go on and on. These players can get a good player all the time on just about anyone because of their height and jumping ability. These guys can get to a distance, 15,16 ft and rise over Mobley or any other player we have. We don't have a player like that and it reallly hinders us in the 4th qts.

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Here is someone else who can fly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Good job Bobby.

8. heypartner

[going into dating myself mode]

Does anyone else think that Kobe looks like Franz Klamer in that picture? You remember the moment when everyone in the whole world gasped as Franz a.l.m.o.s.t. lost it in his historical run.

Man, I watched that at my best friend's house whose parents were from Austria. Talk about a white knuckler!

[going back into thinking i'm not old mode]

9. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but did anyone see Mobley make Kobe fall, then take it to the hole for 2 + the foul??? That had to be a highlight for the Cat fans out there :)

11. heypartner

Mobley made Kobe fall in the last play of the first game in overtime. Kobe fell, and Mobes finds the game winner at the free throw line, rises up...nothing but him and the net....then sadly out-thought himself and lasered a pass to an "open" Willis with a sniping Fox playing possum totally ready to be sly.

Man, I love Mobley! I love speed. I love super-fast players. I'll take speed over height, anyday. Speed gets to the rim more, while height gets to square up unhindered for a jumper.

So, you want the jumper or the rim!

12. yadnom

yadnom Member

Sorry I wasn't referring to you but the other guy gr8-1

13. Sane

Sane Member

I think Kobe's much better, but I have no proof, and no one will ever have proof until they both play on different teams.

Shaq scores a LOT, rebounds, provides D, and blocks shots. Kobe scores, rebounds, passes, blocks shots, plays D, and gets the steals too. Not to mention Kobe is shooting 49.7% from the field.

For the Lakers, they're both providing equal effort in winning titles. In my mind, no other player can replace any of them. Shaq, is by far the best C in the league. It will be literally YEARS before anyone comes close, and that's only becasue his game has to decline at some point. Shaq is right up there with Hakeem, Chamberlain, and Russell. Iverson, Carter, Mcgrady, Pierce, Francis, NO ONE can do what Kobe does. Who comes the closest? Mcgrady, who would keep the Lakers at dynasty-status. But not as incredible as these Lakers. Kobe is significantly better than all these guys in almost every category, not necessarily statistical, except for 3-pt%, where he remains above average.

Mutombo is an even bigger eraser than Shaq, he blocks more shots, and is the reigning Defensive Champion. You don't see Iverson, Snow or Mckie being called defensive demons do you?