1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Know anybody that owns an Earthship?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by London'sBurning, Sep 30, 2012.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'm interested in building and owning one myself is all. It is a self sustaining home that provides its own electricity via solar and wind technology and recycles water collected from rain, snow and humidity. It provides a year round garden you can cultivate for food as well as your own fish farm via aquaponics. It can be built and provide a stable habitable temperature under any weather condition in almost part of the world and is almost 100% eco friendly.

The cost of building one is comparable to a conventional home however the benefits of owning one is the house takes care of you instead of you pouring money into renovating your house as well as paying expensive utility bills. The average utility bill for an earthship is $100 per year.

If you build one yourself minus the cost of building one is roughly $75/per square foot. Having one built by a professional contractor is roughly $150/per square foot.

The majority of the materials used to build an earthship such as wall structure can be had for free by using old used tires that can be packed with soil. They do not need to be so alien looking in aesthetic design. It just happens to be a preferred style from Michael Reynolds, the architect that came up with the earthship design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a TED Talk from the architect of Earthships, Michael Reynolds.

http://youtu.be/FON-UK_1kyI

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FON-UK_1kyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a documentary that shows a family that lived in the UK that moved to France to build their own Earthship. It's pretty interesting.

http://youtu.be/krWgtnJRAUg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/krWgtnJRAUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shorter TLDW clip of an earthship being built.

http://youtu.be/L9jdIm7grCY

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L9jdIm7grCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

More information can be had at: http://earthship.com/

Interesting videos and books on how to build your own can be had online at the bay of pirates.

I'm not a tree hugging hippie but I think buying a plot of land in Colorado or a peaceful beach side view in a country in Central America would be incredible.

The only cons I've read about them is earlier designs have a harder time regulating temperature but that there are more modern methods introduced to address this issue. I personally would have my own concerns with Radon levels since the house is built roughly 6 feet deep into the earth, plus concerns about repair costs when plumbing or electrical issues arise.

2 people like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is this a viral internet campaign for the Hobbit?

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

LOL! First thing I thought of, too. :grin: Nice.

4. London'sBurning

LOL. I am a LOTR fan but no it's not. Nor is it a thread for the end of the world is near, must build a bomb shelter for survival people. I just think the houses themselves are really interesting and think it'd be really interesting to own a house that provides you food year round, stable temperatures under any climate and is friendly on your wallet when it comes to paying utilities.

5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

who doesn't know someone that owns or built a self sustaining solar home made of recycled materials and tires?

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

not sure if serious?

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I have 2 friends who own Earthships, actually. One used a contractor from the beginning and the other eventually brought on a contractor when he realized he wasn't up to the challenge.

I've been to one of them multiple times and the other just once. They weren't too appealing to me, but since the guys who had these Earthships in this story I've made up were former Keebler elves, they were very happy.

*Cue South Park episode on hybrids.

9. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Fo real! There's a bunch of them across 110th street!

10. London'sBurning

Ya I kinda figured I'd be better off searching for an earthship forum if I wanted more information. I just kind of figured this is the internet and you never know if someone's ever done a nightly rental at one of the homes in Taos or had a friend of a friend that gave it a shot.

I'm more interested in what building codes and what sort of costs it would take to even begin construction on one in the Austin area.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Cool idea. But I wouldn't be able to live without a computer or indoor lighting.

12. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

This fits in well to my zombie plan. Good find, thanks.

13. London'sBurning

It has both. The solar and wind energy is stored in a DC unit. You can run any appliance in the house.

14. HombreDeHierro

It's a normal house basically. Saw some in taos

15. Dei

Dei Member

Composting toilet no thanks.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

The self sustaining energy aspect is appealing, though upon brief googling, the designs leave much to be desired. Very of Much's.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

only $150/sf? sounds too cheap.

have you ever thought about doing this sort of idea with a storage container type house?

edit...i guess that is what it costs....it's pretty interesting stuff. i have been learning more about this type of sustainable/renewable housing lately and this is another cool one.

#17 robbie380, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You've probably already seen this but here is a map from the EPA that shows radon threat levels. Zone 1 being the worst and zone 3 being safer.

http://www.epa.gov/radon/pdfs/zonemapcolor.pdf

and I just found this so I guess you can radon-proof homes.

http://inspectapedia.com/Energy/Radon_Basics.htm