1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[KILT] - We will see the Astros in the WS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stack24, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I was listening to 610 right now on my way home from work and they had Pedro Gomez a baseball analyst that is covering the St. Louis series right now. I believe he writes for St. Louis if i am not mistaken.

They asked him "What team can loose a game 1 and still come back to win the series in 5 games"

Without hesitation he said "The Astros"

"They will be a team we will be talking about 3 weeks from now while they are playing in the World Series."

Here is a brief summary of what he was saying.

- Astros are the team to beat right now because of their momentum
    - Oswalt will deliver this time becuase he is no longer worried about being the man and Clemens takes that pressure away from him
    - From seeing how the Astros played the last few weeks, they are just clicking and it is going to be hard to beat them
    - They are top to bottom put together perfectly, from batters to bullpen, to starting rotation
    - We WILL be talking about the Astros 3 weeks from now while they are in the World Series
    - No one can really match up with the 1 - 2 punch of Clemens and Oswlat and that makes a big difference in a series rather than a regular season stretch.

I hope he is right cause it's going to be one great season to remember.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

sounds pretty sweet to me!

the only part i don't understand is the oswalt will deliver this time thing ? he's never pitched in the playoffs before so he's never had a previous chance. also clemens is certainly a pressure reliever but oswalt is most definitely not a guy that seems phased by pressure anyways.

3. Stack24

I thought he had in the last series we had against Atlanta in 2001. I believe he did with Miller that Year.

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Hmmm...if i recall, he was injured that year and was a question mark for the postseason but was scheduled to come back and start game 4..but never got that chance cause the 'Stros got swept. So he hasn't acutally pitched in a playoff game yet. Could be wrong though.

5. Buck Turgidson

HUH?

Has he seen the bullpen? The starters not named Clemens/Oswalt?

6. Elienator

Elienator Member

He was the one ESPN expert to pick the Astros to win it all. Six others picked them to make the World Series.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Let's get out of the first round before we start predicting a WS.

I'm optimistic, but cautiously optimistic. If we can get out of the first round (and thus get that monkey off our back), there will be no stopping us.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i'm pumped, fellas! i'm skipping both my classes today (even the one well before the game; read: right now) just to watch the game.

i'm not getting my expectations that high, but it's getting hard not getting a little too excited.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Other than the injury last year and in 2001, when has Roy not delivered?

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

he got hurt towards the end of the year and was scheduled to come back and pitch game 4 but well....

11. Stack24