1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kids in MMA

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by itzIce, Aug 19, 2008.

?

Would you enroll your kids(pre-teen age) in MMA

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    74.1%
  3. I don't care

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. itzIce

itzIce Member

This evening, I was flipping through channels and come across ABC's Nightline and this grabs my attention.

Kids in MMA
    What the hell?!?! I mean, I understand the benefits of martial arts for kids to teach self discipline and self defense but mixed martial arts especially at a young age?

These kids are instructed and participating at FULL FRIKKIN CONTACT with no headgear or body pads. Of course it would be criminal not to have mouth pieces and gloves while refs in suits are monitoring the number of missing teeth :rolleyes:

I don't have children but i'm pretty sure I wouldn't enroll them in these classes.

A question to you clutchfans with kids or plan on having some in the near future. Would you enroll your children in MMA?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pQCgauZf1PU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pQCgauZf1PU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I actually saw a special on ESPN.com on a preteen who they called the future of MMA and that he had his the sport and his family's future on his back. They even had a pic of him up with blood dripping from his face. I'll try to locate the story.

3. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

NEVER BACK DOWN!!1

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

hey, if it keeps the kid from growing up a p***y, i'm all for it.

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

Holy crap.

I'm all for kids learning how to defend themselves, develop self esteem and discipline but what is this? YEAH HE BODY SLAMMED HIS ASS... WAY TO GO!

Why can't we just watch bugs fight to the death like the Japanese?

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

true true.. better than ur son being a pansy

7. itzIce

itzIce Member

Waiting for the "Made In USA" remark

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That video is nothing. The ESPN thing had them 6 year olds bascially pounding each other with body shots wearing MMA gloves - freaking ridiculous. I don't think kids should even do amateur boxing prior to age 13 or 14 or so.

9. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Yea, but he'll probably be scarred for the rest of his life- literally.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Its not any worse than boxing. At least in MMA, you don't have rules than encourage people to hit the other person in the head as often as you can.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

hmm well maybe
    <br>
    If I had kids I don't think I would mind enrolling them in jiu-jutsu, kickboxing, karate, or boxing. MMA in essence is just a combination of those anyways (obviously there's more to it...). However, im not exactly sure how I feel about full contact sparring at a very early age. I guess it is fine, as long as they aren't actually in any competitions until a later age at which their bodies have matured. I think maybe 12 or 13 could be that age...

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Hell yea...i'd much rather have my nephew internally bleeding from repetitive knees to the side than the occasional black eye under his protective headgear.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think its proven that boxing is more dangerous than MMA. I see nothing wrong with kids taking part in MMA.

14. rockbox

Obviously you have never boxed or done MMA.

15. rockbox

BTW, I think the rules for kids are similar to a tournament I particapted in college over 15 years ago.

No striking to the head, no leg locks, toe hooks, no knees, no elbows, and no kicking while the opponent is down.

So in other words, they get to kick and punch to the body and grapple. How is that any worse than a TKD/Karate/boxing match where you are encouraged to smack your opponent in the head.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Can't say i've done anything other than what i would call "light sparring"...

I was really just making a joke but i can't say i feel great about kids doing either competitively. I don't know, i would think alot of the danger in boxing is minimized by the kids being fairly weak and them having headgear.

...But if you say there's no knees, elbows, kicks, or leg locks then kids in MMA doesn't seem so harsh either.

17. Landlord Landry

i'd rather see kids punching each other, rather than shooting each other.

18. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

yes fighting solves all problems :rolleyes:

I hate this crap, and I saw the espn show on 6 year olds taking part in this :(

19. Landlord Landry

nobody said it solves ALL problems.

punched in the face>shot in the face.......get it?

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Proven? I'd like to see a link.