1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenyon Martin's cheap shot on Karl Malone

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Drewdog, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Band Geek Mobster

Well Cat...

The difference here is that many people think Karl Malone is a cheap shot artist...so some people enjoy seeing him get a taste of his own medicine.

Now once the refs start having a long history of throwing bottles at people, only to have the Saints fans throw bottles at them, then maybe I could see the comparison...

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

So it's ok to resort to violence in response to a cheap shot which may or may not have been intentional, but not ok if someone steals thousands of dollars?

3. Band Geek Mobster

Right...:rolleyes:

So when's the court date involving the refs stealing thousands of dollars from those innocent fans in New Orleans?

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

So when's the court date involving Karl Malone "assaulting" all these other players? :rolleyes:

You yourself said that other people THINK that Malone is a cheap shot artist. The word think is not equivalent to proof. They think Malone is a cheap shot artist, and seem to support physical violence in return. You don't seem to have a problem with them. I THINK that the refs stole thousands of dollars from Saints fans. What's the difference?

5. Dm324

Dm324 Member

it wasn't a cheap shot, but o well, I hate the mailman. nice goin K-Mart

6. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Martin is now one of my favorite NBA players. IS there anyway I can find a pic of the foul so that I can blow it up, then frame it?

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I <B>THINK</B> I'm the reincarnation of a Messiah that will unite all the world's religions.

Almost as ridiculous as your claim that the refs stole thousands of dollars from Saints' fans.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Malone has never done anything like what Martin did in his career. The guy swung at his head while Malone was in mid-air. Rod Thorn saying Malone was acting is a complete joke. One game is not nearly enough of a suspension. Anyone who did that to Kobe Bryant would be suspended the rest of the year.

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Sending an elbow flying at someone's head, if not close to what Martin did, isn't too damn far behind.

I don't condone any kind of stupid violence in sports, but there's not much of a question that Malone has taken shots at people throughout his time in the NBA. Hell, the players themselves will tell you that. And those are shots (like knocking out Robinson practically) that could damage careers. So to see someone stand up to that kind of behavior is a little harder to chastise.

I have less problem, however, pointing out morons who are drunk/and or stupid and throw crap on the field, possibly injuring everyone out there. But then again I have a much smaller tolerance for idiots, so there you go.

10. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Check with Joe Kleine's nose or Luc Longley's knee, I'm sure they would both disagree. So what a wussy punch is worse than Karla swinging his elbows or kicking his legs out, crap, his actions over his career may more subtle but certainly just as malicious.

Someone sign me to a 10 day contract and then I give you a cheap shot Karla.

11. mfclark

mfclark Member

KMart decked Tracy McGrady with a cheap clothesline at the end of the Magic-Nets game, plus threw a punch at him after McGrady got up and bumped his chest. Drew a flagrant 2 foul and an automatic ejection (McGrady, by the way, was ejected for his part, with no punches thrown) for the play.

Of note, McGrady had killed him all night after Martin said he would shut him down.

I think Martin gets 3-5 games for this one, plus a heavy fine. Cheap shots just don't work in the league.

12. outlaw

outlaw Member

Didn't Malone throw a punch at Othella Harrington during O's rookie year?

Isiah Thomas had 40 stitches over his eye courtesy of the Mailman.

13. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

14. mfclark

mfclark Member

Martin only got 2 games for this one, but he's quickly gaining a reputation for being a dirty player by taking out those he can't stop (which seems like nearly anyone).

Don't think he plays Utah again, but he plays the Magic in Orlando in his second game back from this latest suspension.

That picture obviously shows his intent - if he was not trying to hurt him, he wouldn't have that look on his face and that arm where it was. It's easy not to hurt someone, but it takes a lot to follow through and actually do something like that.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Hah, Martin is a punk, that explains the Malone cheap shot. How many games has Malone been suspended in his career (keep in mind he's played more games than almost anyone) for flagrant-type stuff?

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What are you talking about? He could have easily been swinging at the ball and his arm just ended up in that position, oh but I forgot all blocks or attempted blocks are clean. :rolleyes: The look on his face has nothing to do with intent it's just intensity and I don't ever recall that being a bad thing, in fact I wish he would lend Cato some.

17. outlaw

outlaw Member

that doesn't mean he never deserved to be suspended

18. mfclark

mfclark Member

Have you seen the video?

Obviously all blocks are where you keep your arm in the air and come straight down at someone's throat, slamming someone to the floor. It's the new wave, doncha think? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Didn't know there was a video. Link please.

20. mfclark

mfclark Member

ESPN showed it about 5 times yesterday, plus I saw it when watching the game.

Yet, here's online video: http://www.nba.com/theater/highlights.html . Direct links don't work, so you'll have to click on the game itself under Friday's list....
    Magic vs Nets. The video clearly shows him holding his arm high in the air after the ball had hit the ground, waiting for McGrady to come into range for him to slam it down.