1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kawhi Leonard out indefinitely

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Jan 17, 2018.

1. ballscientist1

Leonard to 76ers for 3 young talents

1. Dario Saric, a young, affordable, talented four who has the personality to play for Pop.

2. Robert Covington, a young 3-and-D wing on an affordable deal (about $10M per season)

3. Markelle Fultz, a No. 1 pick with elite potential and shooting issues. The Spurs have possibly the best shooting coach (Chip Engelland) in the world.

2. joeson332

joeson332 Member

what happened to Dario?

stand corrected, guess I haven't seen much of the Sixers since December. Thought he got traded or something

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kawhi Leonard, Spurs Have 'Tremendous Disconnect Right Now'

The comments by Gregg Popovich to the media that Kawhi Leonard could miss the remainder of the season despite being medically cleared to play signalled a shift in how the Spurs are handling the situation.

"When Pop came out sort of that first media availability on Wednesday after All-Star break, and it was described to me as people who know Pop very well, that they felt he was speaking to an audience of one in that availability. That he was talking directly to Kawhi," said Adrian Wojnarowski on The Woj Pod.

"Essentially he said, 'well at this point I don't expect him to play and if he's going to play, this needs to happen soon because we'll be faced with a very tough decision: at what point is it too late to try to bring him back into the team?'

"For the first time you could see the public exacerbation of Pop on this issue. It has been a private frustration there. I thought it was the first day you could see it. This continues on and I think his future in San Antonio if he doesn't come back and play this year, or if he comes back in a very limited way. He'll be a year away from free agency, I think his future is going to have to be addressed there."

Wojnarowski reported that it has been surprising considering the previous relationship Leonard has had with the Spurs before this injury.

"It has created an incredible amount of stress around the organization, front office, coaching staff, teammates. I think Pop was talking to the players the other day (as well)."

Leonard spent several days in New York as he sought additional opinions on his injured quad.

"I think the question people are wondering and the question being asked is 'does he want to be there? Does he want to play there?'

"He could clear this up and answer these questions. He hasn't done that," said Wojnarowski. "That's part of some of the issues here. He's not communicative. That's been something since the very beginning. Maybe he's gotten a little better in that area, but he's a person who is just private, shy. Even with his teammates, doesn't say much. With his coach. I think that's contributed to this because I don't know if he expresses always what he might be at odds with or what the issue is, but there's no question there is a tremendous disconnect between (Kawhi) and the team right now."

Roxs-Redemption, slothy420 and Vivi like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

hawaii leaves, parker and ginobili finally retires... are we about to finally see the spurs rebuild??

Tfor3, da_juice, Sajan and 1 other person like this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

with all this time off i hope he's been working on his footwork just out of respect of the game, was painful to watch those fukin travels every other possession

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Tough break for Kawhi.

Spurs have been fortunate enough with injuries over the years.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Danny Ainge needs to be all over getting Leonard this summer. He has the assets and he isn’t going to get a better opportunity than Leonard. Put him with Brad Stevens and he could perfect.

I am sure the Lakers will try to get him as well. It should be interesting. What pieces Pop would theoretically want may surprise people, not necessarily big names. Maybe the Spurs fall in love with someone at the top of the draft and make a move.

Remember Popovich will be 70 years old next year. He isn’t going to spend long rebuilding.

da_juice likes this.
  8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The rumors, Pop's strong statement AND Kawhi's silence prove the relationship between team and player is completely broken. Regardless of what happens this season, I still believe Kawhi will return to the Spurs next season.

saleem likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Losing Kawhi would be a major blow for the Spurs
    They *REALLY* have to find a suitable replacement or two

Rocket River

10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Hope they go through a 6-8 year rebuild

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like San An but a nice 10~15 yr rebuild would be nice

Rocket River

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Spurs are due to come back down to earth the way the Lakers and Mavs did.

I am looking forward to it mainly due to the hubris the Spurs fans exude.

13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

This.

RasaqBoi and Tfor3 like this.
  14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Klay and dray for kiwi in the offseason

Turns out he’s never the same person and the blows up the dynasty

AroundTheWorld, RasaqBoi and da_juice like this.
  15. da_juice

da_juice Member

A man can dream.

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I too believe he will be back with the Spurs next season.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

10-14 year more like it.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  19. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Kawhi for Lebron makes sense.

20. Roxs-Redemption

If, Kwahi is feeling depressed about going to open up about playing NBA, maybe DeRozan can reach him out and help in some ways this off-season. Could even give some intuition to Derrick Rose if he wants to make another comeback as well. Source: link