1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Juwan Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kmart9419, Jun 29, 2004.

1. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

I don't know too much about Juwan Howard, but I do remember Pat Riley once wanting to spend billions on this guy. He once played with Rasheed Wallace was considered the superior player. But alot has changed with time. I personally think Juwan will have a big impact on this team, especially playing next to Yao and T-mac. He will be like Malone during the playoffs getting tons of open shots or being left open purposely to cover our 2 stars. I think he averaged somewhere around 17 points per game so I know he can knock down his shots. We'll finally get a true power forward. We are massively lucky to get him along with T-mac in this trade since we dont' really need another superstar power forward requiring shots. He is the type of role player that we need.

2. Rocketsfan03

Rocketsfan03 Member

the guy is a 17 and 7 guy..very consistant and could be a useful player. He also isn't that bad of defender..people say he is bad but when really he isn't

3. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

He does nothing but averages his 17 and 7....every damn year. I'll take that! He is suspect on efense though, but a solid scorer

4. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

When people said he was bad they really had Howard's contract in their mind. He signed a ridiculous contract that had him as the most overpaid NBA player for a few years. If he had made the kind of money he is making now, people would not have said that he was bad.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Isn't he basically Mo Taylor without the weight and drug problems?

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Once upon a time, Juwan Howard was probably one of the most overrated players in the game. He's never been a superstar, and he got superstar money and treatment. Everyone hated him for it.

Ever since then, people assume he sucks.

It's not true.

Nowadays he's extremely underrated.

:)

7. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

I like having Howard and Taylor manning the 4. Which one will start?? The only thing I'm skeptical of is their defenes. Is it safe to assume that these two guys ate "offensive-minded" players? I'd say so. I wouldn't mind going out and getting a rock to play D at the power forward next year, in addition to a starting quality point and a solid back-up center to spell Mr. Yao. Someone like Etan Thomas comes to mind. We need someone to dominate the boards.

My other question is about Juwan's contract and age. How old is he? How many years do you think he can still play fairly well? And how long is his contract and for what amount? Thnx.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Howard is 31, should have some good years left. His strengths are awefully redundent with Mo (27)--except Howard is cheaper and overall better, though Mo is younger. Spoon (33) is completely redundent with both, except having an even worse contract realtive to production, and being a substantially more exploitable player than either Mo or Howard.

Neither Howard nor Mo nor Spoon can block shots worth a darn, but otherwise I think they make us pretty solid at the 4. I'd consider a S&T of Howard for Etan Thomas, or if there is any way to get Camby or Swift (MLE, trade exemption) than move either Howard or Mo for the best or least painfull deal.

If we can't get a defensive 4/5 like the guys I mentioned we should keep Howard and Mo. You have them share the back-up C minutes depending on match-ups with a cheap pure back-up C who can defend a little (Skinner, Hunter, Corie Blount, or Oestertag). I'd then love to move Spoon, but that might be really painfull (take a really bad contract or give up a lot for someone to take him).

#8 Desert Scar, Jun 29, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  9. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

so this is the thread where all the smart people hang out (I need to quit wasting my breath in the "trade Howard" thread -

those people have NO BBALL IQ

I like Howard - because he is an improvement - and like JJ, he is a strong thrid and/or fourth option

10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Howard is a decent player. Just don't let him get too close to the other guys in the showers. :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Howard is garbage.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

what did i miss??

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Funny thing is, mediocre defenders have a way of becoming pretty good defenders after a few months under JVG. Look at Mobley and Cato (and even Francis) last year. I expect Juwan to play a major role with this team, providing leadership and stability.

14. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

He'll be taking charges in no time.

15. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

He has VD!

16. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

I watched a lot of games with Howard when he was with the Mavericks (League Pass). He's a good player, a decent position defender and a slight improvement over Taylor.

But he's not a shot blocker and often opponents would simply turn and fire over the top. He really struggles with the taller power forwards and can't guard centers that have an offensive game. He was not a help defender, but then again -- such a thing doesn't exist with the Mavericks.

As others have said, his skill set is a bit redundant with Taylor. Personally, I would trade Taylor and look to sign a defensive-minded 4/5 that blocks shots and hits the boards to complement Howard's skills.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

the rox are putting together a championship team, not keeping together the worst team in the eastern conference. trade him.

18. sun12

sun12 Member

Very easy to find, get EG back, just do it.

19. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Howard has great offensive threat in the perimeter but not much of defensive player, MoT and JH are both Michigan product. But i'll pick Howard as a starting PF! Anytime.:D

20. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

The thing I remember hearing about Howard, just prior to him signing his big contract, was his ability to "will his team to win"... a la Jordan. I haven't seen him play much.

Was that true back then?
    Is there anything in him that is still like that?