1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[July 2019] Do you like the CP3 for Westbrook trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sajan, Jul 11, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Oct 11, 2019.
  1. Yes

509 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. No

164 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

#301 YOLO, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't think anyone but CP3 could have predicted how durable Paul has been in the past 3 years. If anything this trade probably added fuel to the fire for Chris to prove all of his doubters wrong by eating healthier, better training, etc. I felt at the time that 2019 Westbrook was slightly better than the hobbled 2019 Chris Paul we saw. I'm sure Harden, Fertitta, Morey and everyone in Houston would take this trade back without question if they knew how both players' skills, health, and performance would turn out over the past 3 years. Hell, it might even be CHRIS that wants Harden gone instead of the other way around if he saw how much of a decline Harden has gone through.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, only 24% of us knew......that this was a bad trade.

Well, that ruins the narrative some have on me I guess...lol

DD

hakeem94 and DJ like this.
  4. thekad

thekad Member

The narrative that you’re a clown who pretended to be against the worst trade in NBA history until we pulled up the receipts?

That’s not a narrative. That’s what happened.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Here is my receipt. I would like my money

I was against this trade since I was born. You never trade the highest IQ for the lowest IQ player at a position. Never. Never. Never.

Screenshot_20220429-090826_Chrome.jpg

RocketWalta, xaos, chadyang and 4 others like this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Somehow I didn't vote in this poll, but I knew it was a disaster from the get go.

Tillman Fertita is so ****ing stupid.

slothy420, luckyman76 and YOLO like this.
  7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Worst trade in history of the franchise. Glad I voted no. Never trade the point god.

8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RIP the team that never was. This was the beginning of the end.

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It was a terrible trade. But, Harden and Paul are having some level of success in a very different situation. They both needed to find a home where they weren't required to carry the scoring load 24/7. CP3 looks much better now that he's not being asked to iso and beat his man off the dribble every play.

In hindsight, I wish we would have traded away Harden and kept CP3 to help develop our new young players.

10. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

i remember seeing this thread and quickly voting no, then going into some other cp3-russ threads only to get more depressed and then just avoiding cf and any sports related site for weeks.

even with the rumblings about the trade the few days leading up to it, i still thought with morey, there would be no way this trade goes through...and then when the trade happened, it's not just cp3, but also a boatload of picks?!? easily the worst trade in rockets history.

hakeem94 and YOLO like this.
  11. DaDakota

It's ok, man, if you need a hug, we can make that happen.

I knew trading CP3 away was a terrible idea, that Westbrook couldn't shoot, add that to having another year on WB's contract - just a terrible trade overall - and said as much, that is a fact.

The Truth shall set you free - Receipts included,

DD

#311 DaDakota, Apr 29, 2022
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If only u can view the folks that liked this trade.

Folks like to spin how awful it was that Harden push the trade, him being a diva, etc. Selective memory.

I wouldn't mind clowning on those folks now.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Jesus, it was so obvious that this was a terrible trade, even before CP3's renaissance.

It only gets more frustrating with every passing game. We would have won the title in the bubble season, and maybe last season as well. I genuinely believe that. So to me we gave up multiple first round picks, the better player, and a championship. All to bring in a player that I've always hated with the fire of a thousand suns....it hurts.

The one bright side is that it ended up being even worse than I anticipated, so we were able to start rebuilding immediately instead of slowly rotting away while the Thunder had our picks.

14. DaDakota

When you have 3 guys in Capela, CP3, and Harden who go 57-3 together, you don't trade that, YOU AUGMENT IT.....

Honestly this is on Morey, he should have sat down with CP3 and Harden and mediated, they were so good together.....add Capela...57-3....

You don't screw that up!

DD

#314 DaDakota, Apr 29, 2022
    topfive, luckyman76, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

~75% approval

Seems about right. 3/4s of the opinions you read around here are garbage

mastan, hakeem94, YOLO and 2 others like this.
  16. DaDakota

Yeah, but they sure are more vocal.....

DD

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Damn. Forgot how many of yall are idiots. Lulz. Good luck with this **** Fertitta era. Suckers.

YOLO and treyk3 like this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

we knew.

Ziggy likes this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I was hopeful at the time, but thought we gave up too much. Now there can be absolutely no doubt that this was the worst trade in franchise history and one of the worst trades in NBA history. Balking at the years on CP3’s max extension now just seems about as stupid as one can get.

I don’t expect Harden’s next career to be in the front office of a professional basketball franchise. And unlike some of the other fans, I don’t think Morey gets a complete pass on this; it’s his fault too. Tillman, Morey and Harden are all to blame for this unmitigated disaster. We will feel the pain for several more years.

I literally get a stabbing pain in the heart when I think about it.

napalm06 likes this.
  20. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

I still believe this was logically the correct trade to make at the time

Everyone wants to think they are a basketball genius looking back now but refuses to use any context

We were the oldest team in the league and were about to be another year older. EVERYONE in the media, fans, players, agreed the rockets needed to make a move

Up until that point we wasted the entire offseason hoping Jimmy Butler would want to play here when it was clear he was going to Miami

At the same time the Lakers just added AD with Lebron

Clippers added Paul George to play with the reigning finals MVP

Yes, we gave up way too many picks, but tbf OKC had all the leverage. Both those teams were projected to pass us up and Westbrook would have absolutely been shopped to another contender if it werent for us

The poll alone will tell you what the actual perception of Chris Paul was in real time and not with hindsight. In case you dont remember. He was terrible

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/paulch01.html

He had his worst shooting season ever and was injured yet again. And the numbers alone still wont tell you how bad he was. This was our "closer" who couldnt get by anyone anymore and shot 27% from 3 in the playoffs. Chris Paul went 14/14 last night. We'd be lucky if he made 14 field goals between 2 games

wlekfjv923n and steddinotayto like this.