1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Judge's daughter sues driver she ran into during crash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by deepblue, Dec 18, 2008.

1. deepblue

deepblue Member

Ran into this story from another site, :eek:

Judge's daughter sues driver she ran into during crash
    By BRIAN ROGERS Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
    Dec. 18, 2008, 7:42AM

Convicted last year of intoxication manslaughter for the death of her boyfriend, the 21-year-old daughter of a state district judge is suing the truck driver she ran into during a drunken driving crash.

Elizabeth Shelton, the daughter of juvenile judge Pat Shelton, is accusing truck driver Lance Bennett of negligence in the Oct. 23, 2007, wreck that killed her boyfriend Matthew McNiece.

Shelton had a blood alcohol concentration more than three times the legal limit, two tests showed. She was sentenced to eight years' probation and had to serve four months in jail.

Shelton, her family and the family of the boyfriend who was killed are suing for $20,000 for the destruction of the Lexus SUV she was driving and an undetermined amount for mental anguish, pain and suffering.

Bennett was driving the box truck that Shelton rear-ended on the Southwest Freeway near Kirby around 2 a.m.

Bennett's attorney, John Havins, said the lawsuit, filed in October, was the last chance to make a claim before the statute of limitations ran out.

He noted that Shelton named 16 defendants, including insurance companies and banks. "They're just throwing everything against the wall to see if anything sticks," Havins said.

During Shelton's trial, an expert for the defense testified there was evidence that Bennett swerved into Shelton's lane. An expert for the prosecution, however, said there wasn't evidence that Bennett got in her way.

Testimony also showed that the company Bennett was working for let the insurance on the truck lapse.

"The injuries and property damage sustained by (Shelton and her family) were not the result of intentional acts, but were accidental and caused by the negligence of the uninsured/underinsured driver," Shelton's attorney Mark Sandoval wrote in the lawsuit.

Link

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

that's all I needed to read...how crazy is this sh#t...maybe her dad is make her do this?

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Yeah I read that this morning. She got away with only 4 months in jail, and now this. Her parents should be ashamed. And they are judges!! I'm surprised she's not suing Lexus for allowing her car to drive that fast.

She should be CHARGED for this bogus lawsuit.

4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Money won't make up for the fact you killed your boyfriend, b****.

5. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Yeah, tell her!

6. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

How ridiculous, you're the one that was intoxicated! I'm surprised she isn't suing the alcohol company that got her drunk.

7. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

The alcohol must have burnt out the "accepting personal responsibility" part of her brain. Either that or the crash knocked it out of her.

8. Precision340

Precision340 Member

when i read about shiet like this i pray that there is a God.. no shame at all.. they're all going to hell... just imagine if that was some average joe like you or me... do you think we'll get 4 months?! :mad:

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm going with option C.

It was never there.

10. yobod

yobod Member

QFTMFT

11. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Her dad is probably the one who sued over his pants at the dry cleaners.

12. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

This judge is elected. Next time he comes up for reelection he needs to be kicked the hell out of office. What a shameless family.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They were probably both wrong. She drunk and the trucker half asleep.

14. DaDream

DaDream Member

I can't believe the boys parents aren't suing the girl.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nothing like having 'privilege'

Rocket River
    Privilege . . .it means nothing is every truly your fault

16. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

chances are they signed an agreement with the insurance company to not sue. this happened to a co-worker of mine (though the accident was not drunk driving related). the victim's family got several hundred thousand dollars.

as for the girl, this is a waste of taxpayer's money.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What a waste of time and money. I know the brother of this skank, and he's a major douche. MAJOR. Doesn't surprise me at all that this family is pulling this stunt.

Ho, when you're 3x the legal b.a.c. limit and you KILL YOUR BOYFRIEND, just be thankful you're not spending the rest of your life in the big house. This pisses me off big time

18. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

She might sue us for reading this...be careful! unreal....

19. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Wow, just ran across this today, UNBELIEVABLE. The advantages of having legal connections when your douchebag father is a judge. 4 months for involuntary manslaughter, that is freaking crazy.

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member