1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Altuve signs a long-term contract with the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by H-Town Info, Jul 13, 2013.

1. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/356066712292044800

Per Rotoworld

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Source: Altuve agrees with <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Astros&amp;src=hash">#Astros</a> on 4-year, $12.5M extension with two club options at $6M, $6.5M. Deal first reported by <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart">@brianmctaggart</a>.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/356074815888703489">July 13, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great value at that price. Morey type contract.

3. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Would love to see this become a confidence booster to get back to those March/April numbers... Dude has yet to have a month above .275 since then. Love 'tuve, but he has been slumpin.

4. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Seemed to correspond with his collision with Parades. A the time he of the collision he was hitting 340 or so. Been in a major slump since he's returned.

5. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Solid point. Almost forgot about that. Either way, I feel like a contract extension must make it a little bit easier to perform. I just can't wait to see him return to the level that we have seen him perform for most of the past 2 years.

6. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Luhnow may not mind that he's been slumping. Buy low opportunity.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So we basically bought out his arbitration, with the 2 team options added on.

Intriguing move, I root for Altuve but at this point I'm not convinced he's even a league average 2B. The Astros seem to see something and that gives me some confidence, but he has looked really bad at all facets of the game recently.

Hardly a crippling contract, so not a lot of risk involved and he certainly isn't garbage. Could be a steal if it works out, but at this point I don't see much growth in Altuve's game, would love to be wrong though.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

That does not seem like "face of the franchise" money.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Ewww, I dunno about that. I suppose that's not a whole lot but surprising signing.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

While I'm surprised at the deal...how is not at least a league average 2B?

11. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Plays league average defense, doesn't walk very much, has limited power.

He can be above average, but so far this year he's struggled.

12. Major

Major Member

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/position/2b/sort/OPS/order/true

Out of 18 qualifying MLB second baseman, he's 14th in OBP, 16th in SLG, 16th in OPS.

If you look at all 40 MLB second baseman, he's 29th in OBP, 31st in SLG, 30th in OPS.

That said, he's also young and should be expected to improve.

13. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Castro will be more expensive, but I hope he's next with a deal that buys out arbitration plus a year or two of free agency.

14. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Not sure why we'd extend him now. He's been terrible so far.

15. Major

Major Member

The simplest theory would be that the front office expects he will be better, so this is a buy-low opportunity.

16. astros123

astros123 Member

hes been awful this year

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

No he hasn't.

I'm a little higher on him than most on this board, but no way he can be described as awful.

He is still very young, most at his age are in AA/AAA.

I think because he was out all star last year and called the face of the franchise, most people expect him to be a star. He won't likely ever be that, but to be where he is at his age I think he will be a good solid regular for years to come.

In any case I'm glad to see this deal, if nothing else to me it shows they are looking at the major league teams future now

18. Major

Major Member

He's been pretty awful - amongst the worst players at one of the weakest positions in MLB. His OPS this year is comparable to Adam Everett's time in Houston - and without the spectacular defense.

He may be justifiably awful due to his age and experience, but he's still been pretty awful.

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Ok well, I would guess at least half of the teams in mlb would take him at the price we just signed him for.

What is awful is up for debate I suppose. He has been awful lately I would agree

20. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

So does DeShields move from 2B to OF with this signing?