1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Altuve signs 5-year extension

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Feb 6, 2024.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Where have you heard the 9 years , 270 mill? Just curious. I haven't kept up with what numbers have been floated around for him.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

rockbox, HTM and MadMax like this.
  3. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Couldn't be happier. Altuve is not only a great player but also a person. Glad he's finishing his career here

hieuytran, arif1127, dc rock and 5 others like this.
  4. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

That clip never gets old

5. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

The look on Chapman's face get me eveytime. lol
    The look on Chapmans face gets me every time.

GOATuve likes this.
  6. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Same. It's hilarious.

Rox_Mayhem and juicystream like this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Boras sitting up there, annoys me.

8. vince

vince Member

I thought he was to be a placeholder for until Delino DeShields was ready. I figured this team was going to be led by Jason Castro, Springer, DeShields, Correa, Singleton, Cosart, etc….

Altuve cemening his grasp on 2nd base by sheer grit and Stellar play was something unheard of ever. I think I read that it’s been since like the 1960’s that a player Altuve’s size has been anywhere near all-star good. The odds weren’t on his side.

GOATuve likes this.
  9. dholi_1

dholi_1 Member

he's befuddled

Rox_Mayhem likes this.
  10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Some NY bum made allegations that Tuve used a buzzer inside his shirt. And all these "F@!$# Y...." Most MLB players would of sue for the unfounded allegations and A.Judge went with it. And Luka Doncic would of ejected 1/2 of the arena if he was cursed like that.

GOATuve likes this.
  11. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Forget him. Judge should worry about taking steroid and HGH tests

bloodwings19 likes this.
  12. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

This is only what I've heard but Boras played a big role in keeping him in Houston (Altuve's request)

DVauthrin likes this.
  13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The agent works for the player. Jose Altuve is going to be an Astro for life because he told Scott Boras to figure out a way to keep him in Houston. Which Boras did.

Boras’ track record shows he prefers his clients to test free agency so they can get top dollar. Many of the top free agents currently unsigned are represented by him, for example.

#73 DVauthrin, Feb 7, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    Qan and GOATuve like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

People like having four guys for a Mount Rushmore thing, but there are really only two on top of the Houston sports mountain, in my opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

red5rocket, mikol13, GOATuve and 2 others like this.
  16. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I grew up watching Earl Campbell.
    In my opinion he would be deserving if he didn't belong to the Tacs

Hey Now! likes this.
  17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Earl, Dream and Tuve.

A lot of Houston sports legends, but those are my top 3. One from each (major) sport.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Looking forward to the Mountain of Legends at New Caney's own, EarthQuest Adventures.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So so so so happy to hear this news. Altuve is an insane combination of underdog, highly skilled and likeable. It's like someone created a player in a laboratory with all the traits that I like in a person/player. I can't think of a single thing about him that I don't love. He's highly skilled, but his stature still made all his accomplishments feel like an uphill battle. He's good during the regular season, but amazing in the postseason as well and responsible for so much of the playoff success that we as fans have enjoyed in the recent era. He's quiet, but somehow still a leader in the locker room and commands respect. That quiet has worked against him in some cases when dipshits decided to make false allegations and he ended up taking the brunt of the backlash from the cheating scandal. The way he comported himself in the face of that was Mother Teresa-like. So on top of all that he's mature beyond his years and protects his teammates above himself.

So you have a superstar level player making crazy money, beloved by an entire city, brought the ultimate success to a city that has never experienced it in his sport and could probably walk into any bar in town and drink for free and sleep with any woman (or man) present that he wanted and somehow simultaneously doesn't seem to have a selfish bone in his body? How the hell does that happen?

I don't know, but I'm so glad he's on my team and so thankful that they have locked him up for life. There's never been a player that I've wanted to retire as an Astro/Rocket/Texan more than Jose, and now it should happen.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Definitely. Altuve has reached Dream status. Those 2 are in a league of their own for Houston.