1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonathan Wells = zero class.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by LonghornFan, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Jonathan Wells..zero class?

Or just bad information given out by school administration?

I'm sure a few of you have heard about the Houston Texans promotion called "Take a Texan to School Day" where 10 different players pay visits to elementary schools around the city. My friends child goes to Fairmont Elementary in Deer Park and was talking about this day for the past week. He even went so far as to get a Wells jersey with his collection of money from mowing yards just to have it signed, since this is what the players are supposed to do.

I was told by my irate friend that Wells did show up but was very uninterested in anything or anyone the whole visit, and to top it off, when the time came for the autographs to begin, he decided he'd had enough and signed 1 piece of paper and had the Principal zerox it to distribute since he "had more important things to do than hang around kids". Some of the parents bought brand new footballs, posters, jerseys, etc. for the sole purpose of having them signed and seeing the reactions of their childrens faces when they got to meet an "alleged" pro football player. Allegedly the school administration gave the impression there was to be a meet and greet session including autographs sometime during the day, but I am only going by what "I" was told by my upset friend.

My only question: Is my friend over reacting with wanting to email someone in the Texans organization about this, and even going so far as to call into 610AM to share his thoughts, or should he just let it die and chalk it up to another spoiled athlete who doesn't even deserve the attention?

#1 LonghornFan, Sep 2, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2003
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

no .. . a jerk should be called a jerk

Rocket River
    sh*t like that pisses me off. . . . if you don't want to go . .. be a man . . buck up . .and DON'T GO!

3. coma

coma Contributing Member

Please do this.

This kind of behavior shouldn't be tolerated.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Wells is just mad because he's the 3rd best RB on the team at best.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

How does your friend know Wells didn't have something else on his mind?

It is not overreacting to e-mail the Texans VP of Marketing to ask why Wells did not sign autographs. Blasting Wells as a "spoiled athlete" is overreacting.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The Texans have made a point to constantly remind us what good guys they sign and how they want only players of character. They also spend an awful lot of time telling us what a positive influence they have on the community.

They need to know if Wells acted like a jackass.

7. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

With the signing of Comella, Wells is now 4th best. Don't be suprised if he is not on this team next season.

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

If he really acted this way, I hope he doesn't make the team, no matter what his legs can do!...

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Yeah, that's pretty lame if that's how it went down. I think he should be able to give his side of the story. But how can you do that to kids man. That's just lame. You have to suck it up for the people who look up to you.

10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Call in and tell the coach right now on 610. I'd love to hear Coach Capers' reaction live on the air.

11. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

not a bad idea

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

There were a few times in elementary when people who came just signed a piece of paper and had it photocopied to give to the whole school. I'd be curious to know

A) what the players at the other school did

B) was he supposed to sign autographs for the whole school or not...

I have no idea of the situation, but would it be too far fetched to think the school didn't want to spend hours having him sign for every student and the paper thing was their idea?

I'm all for calling out players when they act like jerks, I'm just curious about it because he seemed like a decent guy and he has signed a few things for me in the past when he didn't have to, so if he was SUPPOSED to sign I'm kinda surprised he didn't.

I've had my bad experience with many athletes who are supposed to be REALLY great guys, so I can believe the story. I am just curious if he was only supposed to be there a certain amount of time and wasn't actually told he was supposed to sign and it was just assumed or not. It might be worth asking the Texans what he was supposed to do.

I remember one time when the Rockets had autograph sessions of different players all across town and Hakeem showed up really late and only signed for a few people. He wanted to show up way late and wasn't prepared to stay longer when he showed up so late. Situations like that where they are supposed to sign and pull that just ticks me off, but I don't know if Wells was actually supposed to sign for everyone or not.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I remember Tony Fritsch came and signed one autograph and had it copied for the rest of the hundreds of kids in the school. We didn't give a flip. :)

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Just a note they have a article on houstontexans.com about a few of the players days at elementary schools and it doesn't mention signing autographs for any of them.....

15. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I'm not choosin a side on this, but regardless if signing autographs was part of the deal, Wells should have been a nice guy and signed more and made the kids happy. For a guy who is third string and not guaranteed a roster spot for the next few seasons, he should be a lot nicer. It's not like he's "earned" the right not to be bothered kinda like Jordan.

16. LonghornFan

I saw that also, but I haven't been in contact with my friend since this afternoon to find out all the details and what information the school gave to the students about Wells' appearance there. His kid and other students were pretty upset, which upset many of the parents as well. I'd just roll my eyes and laugh at the karma shot when he gets cut next spring, but then again, I don't have children so maybe I don't quite get why they're that angry.

17. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Oh I agree that he should have signed either way but depending on the amount of students that would take a long time and maybe he really didn't have that much time or the school didnt have that much time set aside for that.

I just think if he wasn't supposed to sign and he didn't sign that wasn't the best thing to do but that doesn't necessary make him no class.... as much as it would if he was supposed to and refused to....

from reading the article it sounds like they were there and spoke to an assembly... theres a difference between a speaking session and an autograph session.. I think it is usual practice in a lot of cases for them to make autograph copies like that for a big crowd.. im just curious how it was sold to the parents.. or if it was just assumed he would sign... there is always the chance the school didn't want the chaotic and time consuming practice of signing every kids autographs...

it should have been made clear to the school though if he was not going to sign... having everyone buy items and get their hopes up seems like a lack of communication somewhere along the lines.. it was probably the players choice but the texans or someone should have found out if wells would sign and made that known beforehand if the school did think he was signing..

now if he visited the students small class as well.. with probably at most 30 students he should have at least signed for them...

#17 Rocket Fan, Sep 2, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2003
  18. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

There are few greater pains than seeing your children disappointed.

19. LonghornFan

Yeah, I agree as I think it was just a big confusing mix up on the schools/ parents part. I edited my original post to include the gossip I just collected from my friends wife.

Thanks for all your opinions on the matter. :)

20. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

The late Daryl Kyle had his autographed photocopied and than it was distrubted around my elementry school back when he visited in the early 90's, but he did have a good attitude and talked with us and fooled around with us for a good hour. It was all good. If a guy dosent want to be there, he shouldnt go. I dont have a problem if a guy dosent want to be there but if you go you better show that you want to be there if you show

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.