1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonathan Feigan's NBA Notebook on Webber

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MManal, Jun 18, 2001.

1. MManal

MManal Member

I didnt see this posted anywhere so I figure I'll post it. I could not find this on the web version of the Chroncile, but in the paper version on Jonathan Feigan's NBA Notebook for this week, there was an isolated box titled "Webber to Magic?".

The jist of it is that Orlando is the early favorite in the Webber sweepstakes b/c there is already a superstar in place in McGrady, and Webber feels the East is ready to be taken as there is no true dominant force as in the West. It mentioned that Orlando may not necessarily have the night life Webber seeks, but he feels that this would be a good niche for him in the Eastern Conference, and the Magic could become the dominant team in that conference. Also, it mentioned that this move would require a sign and trade deal, and the Kings will likely be playing hard ball demanding Grant Hill. It finished by saying the Magic have assured Grant Hill they will not trade him unless it is a transaction he approves. Thus, they hinted that a 3 way deal was possible if Sacto got players they liked and Hill went to a team he approved of.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

2. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

So, what teams would Hill consider acceptable? Could this be what Doc Rocket was hinting about? Could we be in the mix? hmmmmm.... So many questions & absolutely no answers. [​IMG]

------------------

3. MManal

MManal Member

My personal opinion is that Grant Hill is too much of an injury risk to take on. Even if the doctors clear him, who is to say that his injuries wont recur like they did with Penny? Plus, Hill's contract would completely cap out the Rockets and not improve either the 4 or 5 positions. If I had the choice, I would much rather take Mike Miller and Bo Outlaw than take on Hill. Also, if this is true, that means Antonio Davis could be avail since his Orlando option would be closed.

------------------

Draftsource.net

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

MManal,

Even though it would be against NBA rules for Webber and the Kings to have a sign-n-trade already arranged before the draft, do you think that Orlando could have a hush deal cut by then? Would teams risk cutting an under the table deal after seeing the whipping that the TWolves took for getting caught doing one?

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Webber threads!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited June 18, 2001).]

5. Hottoddie

6. MManal

MManal Member

Mango, I suppose that is possible, but I remember Clutch saying that Webber would be visiting Houston at that time. I would hope he hasnt 100% made up his mind w/o even giving Houston a chance. The more I have thought about it though, the more likely it seems that he will end up in the East. Orlando seems like a logical fit and atleast has a reasonable shot to get the deal done even if they dont move Hill. If Sacto wants to play hard ball, the Magic should not have too much problem finding takers for Outlaw, Armstrong etc to open up the necessary cap room.

------------------

Draftsource.net

7. Hottoddie

That was, supposedly, already arranged during the "screw Vancouver over campaign" by delaying the #18 pick. It was reported that Detroit would take Outlaw/Doleac or some combination of players to help Orlando free up cap space.

------------------

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I believe the Kings can search for s/t that they would want to do w/o talking to Webber. They would then propose it to Webber at the legal time. I wouldn't be surprised if Webber gave them a list of acceptable teams before the offseason, which I think would be legal.

------------------

9. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

MManal,

That is the problem with having Free Agency being legit after the draft. If the Rockets knew right now that they could get Outlaw etc at firesale prices, they would approach the draft differently.

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Webber threads!

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

Grant Hill isn't going anywhere, that is one thing you can be assured of. Just a few days ago, he joined the recruiting team for the Florida 2012 bid for the Olympics and in a an interview a few days ago said he was going to show potential free agents that his ankle was fine in workouts when they come into Orlando.

Any talk of him getting traded - no matter the result - is just dreaming. Same with Mike Miller - Doc Rivers is coaching on the Goodwill Games roster for one reason and that is to improve Mike's game, especially the post game. Any deal for Webber is going to be Outlaw and scrubs - or the $4.5 exception. Bo can be had for virtually nothing now...

------------------

11. Hottoddie

Really? Will you take Cato straight up? He's virtually nothing. [​IMG]

------------------

12. mfclark

mfclark Member

I think the Magic would rather have a 3rd round draft pick about now. Wait, you say there's only two rounds to the draft? [​IMG]

------------------

13. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Don't the other teams have Orlando over the barrel? Yeah, they may be in the driver's seat as far as Webber wanting to be there, but they have to make those nasty numbers work out to actually have him there.

They may end up with the plum (Webber) but they will have to pay a price and it won't be just scrubs. I smell Miller to Houston heating up.

Doc's Goodwill Games assignment preceeded these events by weeks or months didn't it?

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

14. Sane

Sane Member

No one will help Orlando but Houston and Detroit.

Bo can't go to Detroit, cause they have Ben Wallace, and those two can't be on the same team.

Maybe they wanna unload Bo onto us, and Doleac onto the Pistons to free up cap space?

I dunno about Webber in Orlando. it's perfect for US. Cause Sacramento will NEVER agree to that. Grant Hill will never go there. So what does Webber do? His only option is to sign outright with US [​IMG]

I dunno. I still think there's only a 49% chance of getting Webber, which is not necessarily bad if we don't lose MO in the process.

------------------

15. MManal

MManal Member

I agree 100% Mango. It would be nice for teams to know before the draft about Webber's intentions. As far as the Bo Outlaw thing goes, I hope that if Webber decides to go to Orlando that the Rockets arent totally against brokering the deal for ego reasons or what not. Bo Outlaw would be a very nice addition to this basketball and would really help add the frontcourt defense, hustle, etc this team lacks.

------------------

Draftsource.net

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Webber mentioned on his Costas interview that he would make a decision at around drafttime and that he didn't want to string teams along. So I think we'll go into the draft with a pretty good idea of what to do.

If he's gonna be in town at that time---i.e., eating Chee-tos on the couch at Cat's house in front of ESPN---that would make things VERY clear.

------------------

17. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Webber will probably state several teams that he is interested in during the draft to stop stringing other teams along. My guess is that these are the only teams that will have a chance: Indiana, Orlando, Houston, New York, and Sac.

------------------
    "See they pick and pick and pick. Man they picked me to death."
    -Steve Francis on the Utah Jazz

[This message has been edited by LiLStevie3 (edited June 18, 2001).]

18. mfclark

mfclark Member

The Webber sweepstakes and rumor mill was in effect for several weeks before the Goodwill Games nominations (which weren't that long ago).

Doc himself said he only took the nomination to work with Mike Miller this offseason. He wouldn't do that to tutor him for another team - that makes absolutely no sense.

Miller's not going anywhere, especially since the Magic plan to start Hill, Miller, and McGrady in the backcourt next season to reduce Armstrong's minutes and bring him off of the bench.

Another note about Hill - he was named the Magic's co-captain for next season, along with McGrady, late last week. Not the kind of designation you give to a player who is going to be used in a trade or as trade bait.

------------------