1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Johnny Manziel Studying Tom Brady Film With Former Patriots Quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Pokemon, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I can watch tape of Hakeem 24/7 that doesn't mean I will be able to play like him...just sayin.

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

No, but the idea is for Johnny to study the offensive system that BOB runs.

3. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Here is the catch

Thats not BOB is going to evaluating him on...

BOB is going to go through his game film and press on on coverages, responsibilities of each and every defender on the field. What he was doing on a specific play? What was the goal of every specific play called?

Going over old Patriots film for this interview won't help him

He needs to self evaluate and make sure he understands every nook and cranny of his game film and he needs to have answers for everything

BOB is a NFL head coach, its not that easy

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Can't wait for the little info that comes out after we meet with manziel but I have a feeling it won't be much I think BOB is very confidential and I think he wants the organization to start being that way too

5. conquistador#11

the concept of johnny actually studying anything is pretty cool. Hopefully he pans out. I like him.

Guys, I've been hearing about this potential Johnny coming to Houston. Source?

johnny.

6. Mark

Mark Contributing Member

Manziel's working with George Whitfield Jr. in preparation for the combine. He's one of the most respected QB gurus around. I would think GW Jr has a pretty good handle on what Manziel needs to be ready for.

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

WTF...???:confused::confused::confused:

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

The only thing I question is, is he doing this because he wants to get better, or is he doing stuff like this because his "people" say it will make him look good and raise his stock.

When it comes to JFF I'm betting its the latter.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Some of the draft threads are about as bad as the D&D....or *OF threads in the garm.

I will say there is no stand out QB in this draft. A bunch of potentials....but to say there is no talent....

#29 Uprising, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

1. If you think that BOB isn't going to ask him any questions at all about the offensive system BOB runs and how Johnny can fit into that offense, then you are likely wrong.

2. If you think that Patriots game film is the only game film he is studying, you are likely wrong.

3. If you think that GW hasn't gone over Johnny's game film with him to tailor his training around areas of improvement, you are likely wrong.

4. What surprises football people about Johnny once they spend time around him is how good Johnny is on his whiteboard work. I suspect that BOB will be the same.

11. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

On the first account you are completely off base. BOB is going to looking to see how well you process information. He is going to go over previous film and analyze each and every snap you took and college and pick your brain on each play. BOB can figure out how he fits into the offense. So your wrong on that account.

You don't know what film he is or isn't studying, so your likely wrong as well

Same goes for your third point.

Your last point is a cliche, Everyone raved about Blaine Gabberts white board work, has it meant anything??? Every prospect in this draft is raved whiteboard work, does it mean anything?

A lot of you Manziel guys that eat up everything that is told to you by ESPN will be in for a disappointment

12. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Whitfield is a mechanics guy...

13. Remii

Remii Member

And what makes you think Johnny hasn't gone over his college game film already...? You're only assuming he hasn't because now he's watching tape of Brady... Which any smart quarterback would do regardless.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't saying that there is no talent at the QB position in this draft, only that Manziel lacks NFL caliber talent. He's a classic case of a guy who is built to be an amazing college QB but not an NFL QB. You can find numerous examples of that phenomena if you want to look.

1 person likes this.
  15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

got to respect Manziel's hard work.

a little different than Teddy putting out videos of him dancing with his vegetables

16. Mark

Mark Contributing Member

And you have no clue what BOB is or isn't going to ask QB prospects at the combine. I mean, I'm sure he will ask prospects about their game tape, but you don't know what else he is going to quiz them on.

The fact that you talk in absolutes like you and BOB are tight buddies or that you know his plan for QB interviews is a little arrogant IMO.

And GW Jr works with QBs in preparation for the combine, sure he works mechanics, but to think he has no idea what else QBs need to be prepared for or that Manziel isn't getting professional advise in this regard is once again crazy talk.

1 person likes this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

The difference between Manziel and Brady is a lot smaller than the difference between a random internet poster and Hakeem Olajuwon.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Pancakes is starting to slurp on JF's nob about as hard as he did for VY's when he was in the draft.

19. SacTown

SacTown Member

What about Rich Lord and that Chance guy from 610? I'm not in Houston anymore but they rode VY harder than anyone. I remember Rich Lord said VY was going to revolutionalize the QB position in the NFL. Here is a beauty from the 2006 Chronicle.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-fans-feeling-blue-without-Vince-Young-1496914.php

#40 SacTown, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014