1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Kent Pondering Retirement - ESPN

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stack24, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1886342

SAN FRANCISCO -- Jeff Kent is looking forward to the day when he can just have fun and not have to come to the ballpark. That time could come sooner rather than later.

Jeff Kent
    Second Base
    Houston Astros

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM HR RBI R SB AVG
    135 22 98 86 6 .284

Kent is pondering retirement, saying Tuesday, "I don't even know if I'm going to play next year." Moments later, he backed off the statement and asked reporters not to make a big deal about it.

The 36-year-old Houston second baseman has four children, a ranch, aspirations of owning a motorcycle shop, and a trailer full of his own motorcycles.

The Astros have a $9 million club option on Kent's contract for the 2005 season with a $700,000 buyout and there is speculation they won't pick it up in order to save money.

Kent said his decision to retire won't hinge on whether the Astros pick up his option. But whenever he calls it quits, he already knows all the things he will do after baseball.

"I don't want to live in a locker room," he said before Houston opened a three-game series against his former team, San Francisco. "I don't know if there's anybody in the game who enjoys doing things outside the game as much as I do."

But Kent also expressed how much fun he's having -- "I'm enjoying the game more than I used to," he said.

So, who knows?

If he could win a World Series ring, it would make a decision about his future that much easier. Kent fell six outs short of a title with the Giants in 2002, when they lost in seven games to the Anaheim Angels. He said that season that if San Francisco won it all, he would retire.

He has spoken to 42-year-old teammate Roger Clemens about the pitcher's decision to postpone his planned retirement to join the Astros, his hometown team, after five seasons with the Yankees.

"But I'm not as old as those guys," Kent said, referring to Clemens and 40-year-old slugger Barry Bonds of the Giants. "I've had my time and appreciate it. ... As an individual, you can't control winning as much as you'd like to."

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If the Astros have actually gotten Kent to like baseball, then it truly must be the best clubhouse atmosphere in all of MLB.

This guy is just playing baseball for a living because that's what he's good at, and he gets paid for it... no other reason.

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

yeah i remember him saying that last year that he doesn't really like baseball and that he would love to just be on his ranch and fish and hunt.

But he has the skills to make money so he's doing it lol.

4. Milos

Milos Member

I'm personally looking forward to using Kent's salary somewhere else and giving Chris Burke a shot next year.

Other than the bullpen, this team's two biggest weaknesses have been overall team speed and defensive range. Kent is one of those who contribute to both problems.

Burke could become an excellent leadoff hitter next year. If Biggio returns in left, he could be a fantastic #2 hitter with great power, or he could drop down in the order and hit 5th to replace Kent. It may seem crazy to drop him out of the top, but Biggio still has fantastic extra-base power. In fact, he is right behind Kent in HRs and has more doubles this year. Losing Kent hurts offensively, but Burke has the potential to flourish by batting leadoff in front of Biggio, Beltran (Please:( ), Bagwell and Berkman.

Plus, with Burke, Everett and (hopefully) Beltran (or Taveras), our up-the-middle defense would be among the best in baseball (excluding catcher).

Also, on a side note, if Kent and Beltran leave, I doubt Drayton will want to let the momentum from this season subside (especially if we make the playoffs).

So what if we then make Jason Varitek priority #1?

He'll probably resign with the Sox anyway, but if he doesn't, bringing him in at Catcher could really help this team. He is excellent defensively, in the prime of his career, and would provide a great left-handed boost to the lineup.

Picture this lineup:

Burke2B (fantastic speed and D at leadoff; may not hit a lot, but could alternate with Taveras if needed)
    TaverasCF (Range and arm in CF could replace Beltran quite well; another burner to set the table)
    Bagwell1B (Old soldier still productive with protection)
    BerkmanRF (MVP candidate just hitting his stride)
    BiggioLF (If resurgence continues next year, could easily top 100 RBI's for first time in the 5-hole)
    VaritekC (Another great bat who is Gold-Glove defensively and one of the best leaders in baseball; the glue of the Sox)
    Lamb/Ensberg3B (Productive platoon could be tremendous hitting 7th)
    EverettSS (Excellent speed and D; more than adequate as 8th hitter)

5. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

why is he making these comments before a big series?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he would enjoy it more if he actually HUSTLED to first.

Later...Kent....

DD

7. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I'm sure he was just answering a question about him playing next year.

8. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

Kent said this morning on 610 radio that his comments were totally blown out of proportion by the press and that he wasn't really saying he was going to retire at season's end. According to him, he was making a general statement about retirement and not that he was going to do so right away.