1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Balke is a POS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Feb 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This is not how I expected this episode of Different Strokes to end!

[​IMG]

Xerobull, Ubiquitin and Nook like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Whatever happened to @rockHEAD and @codell? I seem to recall @rockHEAD seeing Dream at what used to be the Alabama Theatre after it was turned into a bookstore and taking his picture. I remember it being a huge deal on the BBS. Hope I have that right. I lived 3 or 4 blocks from there during the ‘70’s and could walk to a record shop at one end of the same strip center from my place.

I started lurking in March or early April of ‘99, finding this place while doing a casual search online for any Rockets info I could find and quickly became hooked. The “atmosphere” was a hell of a lot different then. I remember @popeye and the Mall Guy breaking the Francis trade in August before the media knew about it. There were maybe 3,000 members, maybe a bit more, which seemed like a lot at the time. @Clutch’s server usually crashed whenever there was big news.

Batman Jones and Blatz like this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i remember AntiSonic
    he and i were the pioneers of the pure fan movement which proclaimed Player Only Fans as the ultimate enemy of Clutchfans

Ubiquitin likes this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im surmising that Jeff is indeed a POS from all the responses here lately. OP is a legend for having the foresight and cojones to call a spade, a spade. Cheers to you OP.

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I swear it was Whole Foods.

Batman Jones and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

If Jeff hadn’t saved our Rockets, we would not have missed 27 3s in the 3rd quarter, and my heart would be 10 years younger. OP might be onto something.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

You know what....it might have been codell. I faintly remember the name Chris...which makes sense from his moniker.

All those names bring back memories though. Back in the day of typing PBP with rockHEAD in the Clutchfans chat room. And those R2K highlights!

#207 Uprising, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Co-Dell is Michael Dell's business partner and lover.

Nook and Ubiquitin like this.
  9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

lulz

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That jogged my memory. I'm going to have to look and see if I can find out which bookstore I'm thinking of.

Wait! @Ubiquitin I had it right to begin with. It was a Bookstop Bookstore, which opened at the old Alabama Theatre in 1984. It remained a Bookstop for 25 years, until 2009, when it became a Trader Joe's grocery.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

This is all true, but the rockHEAD pic and story was from Whole Foods, I'd bet on it.

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

To be fair they were next door to each other.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  13. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

In other words, rockHEAD took his photo of Dream at a Whole Foods instead of at Bookstop. Was/is there a Whole Foods in that area? Just curious. I haven't lived in the Richmond/Alabama/S. Shepherd area for 40+ years.

My place was between Alabama and Richmond, a few blocks from Shepherd. It was a groovy upstairs apartment that was originally part of a residence. Someone converted it into a "4-plex" sometime around WWII. I had a one car garage under the apartment. The walls were all knotty pine, and it had french doors that opened onto the roof of the apartment below. Huge trees all around. $120 a month, bills paid. I became friends with the others that lived there. Last time I drove past the place, it had been leveled and a "modern" 2 story condo building had been jammed onto the lot. At least they saved most of the trees. That's "progress" for you. :-(

boomboom and Ubiquitin like this.
  15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Ubiquitin and Deckard like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Ubiquitin, Buck Turgidson and Deckard like this.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulztz

Ubiquitin likes this.
  18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

There was a Whole Foods next door to that bookstop in that center on Shepherd back in the 80’s and 90’s. It was where Whole Earth and the rotating failed restaurant are currently

Deckard and Ubiquitin like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

I liked Whole Earth, back in my Houston days I bought good stuff there. Same with the bookstore and Fly High Little Bunny across the street (oh, hell, did I screw up or forget something? 30 minutes later I've got a jewelry 'pacifier', partially at least)

Deckard and Ubiquitin like this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

WOAH, Woah! Woah there, buster! You need to back that train up a bit. Don’t you ever diss Road House and Mac & Cheese! That’s a single man’s church when he’s lonely. Got me through some tough times. Tough times indeed...

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson, Nook and Ubiquitin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.