1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jazz in dysfunction

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Feb 26, 2020.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Gobert is a liability in the playoffs. Amazing how a great defensive big can be neutralized in the playoffs by just making him switch lol.

plutoblue11, napalm06 and Reeko like this.
  2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

?

Giannis' problem was that he couldn't be as dominant offensively (but still objectively great) because teams would triple team him in the paint on drives.

Gobert's problem is that he's unplayable against playoff teams with a 5 out offense.

3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

The Jazz are about to be the biggest story in the league.... In the off-season when everyone's trying to poach Mitchell, Gobert, or Snyder from that dumpster fire.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This team has so many bad defenders playing big minutes. Mitchell, Bogdanovic, Clarkson...if Utah ends up picking Donovan over Rudy and replaces Rudy with a lesser defender the Jazz are gonna get run out of the building more often than not next season.

RudyTBag likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think Gobert is actually a fairly competent big man perimeter defender - it's just everybody else that sucks.

MItchell's Jazz tenure is going to end with him demanding a trade, Jazz should just do it now. Gobert they can hold onto for a bit and swap him at midseason or later. I know it's weird because he's older, but he also is happy staying there for awhile.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Interesting. I can see them both being very successful as 3rd options on another team. Chris Bosh level players. Jazz, as far as I'm aware (living locally and having the "pleasure" of talking to fans) don't seem interested in moving either one. This will be an interesting offseason.

TimDuncanDonaut, Deckard and RudyTBag like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. The long and short of it is that both of them are 3rd options on championship teams, trying to act as Kobe and Shaq.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Tim McMahon has repeatedly stated Dallas wants him. Good to see Rudy listens to podcasts.

BallSoHarden and dmoneybangbang like this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean if Utah trades one they may as well trade the other any way.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

LOL at the likes of Gobert making trade demands. Man, go sit your goofy ass down somewhere

12. DreamR

DreamR Member

Players these days always trying to hold teams hostage. They all believe they are superstars so roll out the red carpet and be prepared to meet some crazy demands, peasants.

Reeko likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Mitchel wasn't much of a factor in the Mavs series as his defense has been pretty poor for sometime now. Gobert can't mask an entire team's defensive woes as the Jazz allowed just about anyone to drive and dish/score when they were spread out. However Gobert is pretty poor offensively, but seems like a good fit for a Luka centric offensive team that needs to be above average (not great) defensively and on the boards. Both are 3rd guys on a deep/contending player off team, a bit too one dimensional.

I would try and blow it up for the 2023 draft if I were the Jazz. Maybe they can nab a mid lottery pick and a future pick(s)/pick swap(s) for Mitchel and get some favorable contracts for Gobert.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

In the past several years, it has been proved time and time again that bigs who can't defend in the perimeter and are limited offensively can be exploited in the playoffs to the point that they are unplayable.

The days of Defense-and-Rebound big men are gone. If you are a big, you either show that you are not a liability in switching defense or you are unstoppable on offense.

palmsnbananas, YOLO and Deckard like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed. Unless they get something MAJOR back
    They need to blow it up

Rocket River

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree. I always take a lot of grief for saying I wouldn't pay Gobert more than about $18M.

Easy and Rocket River like this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As I look across the league
    I wonder if he truly is a top 5 Center
    Embiid
    Jocic
    Bam
    Capela
    Williams in Boston
    Ayton
    Giannis

I cannot say I would pay him that much either

Rocket River

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Who's going to trade for Gobert's contract, though?

19. TimDuncanDonaut

Agree on this read. The org and the fans still want to run it back with their core. The only reason would be if one or both guys ask out.

Utah is not a free agent destination. Most of their pairs have been homegrown. It's a tough road to even get to where they are. If they blow it up, they could be bad for a long time

Homegrown
    • Stockton / Malone (drafted by Jazz)
    • Deron Williams (drafted by Jazz) / Boozer (drafted by CLE, but came to Utah in year 3, his career peak was in Utah).
    • Donovan (13th) / Rudy (27th)
      • Their scouts had an eye and got very lucky.

As far as weakness, people knew about Rudy, and recently caught onto Donovan. Conley not getting too much heat. Their backcourt are short and don't match well against long switchy players. Conley is old and Donovan got a little fat. Defensively had issues too. Playoff knock outs: last year Clippers, this year Mavericks. They should see what the market is for Conley.

#99 TimDuncanDonaut, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Gobert in the playoffs is just a role player who becomes unplayable against any teams with elite guards. We've already seen that time and time again and its even worse these days. he should haven't been playing more than 15 20 mins a game vs dallas

He's simply too slow and not athletic enough to guard in open space. And him not being a threat offensively makes it that much worse. He hurts the team way more then helps when hes on the floor against teams like Dallas

#100 YOLO, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
    BigMaloe, Easy, Reeko and 2 others like this.