1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Lane

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Gene the PIG, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

OK, I'm asking you guys an honest question here, so please don't bite my head off.

Even though I'm a long time, EVERYTHING Houston fan, I know very little of Jason Lane ... other than everyone seems to think he's the next Lance Berkman. :rolleyes:

Is he even any good? I know he doesn't get to play that much, but cut me some slack.

IS HE ANY GOOD?

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

1) Ive never heard anyone call Lane the next Berkman. And I follow the Astros news pretty closely.

2) IMO, if given the chance, Lane should be an above average ML outfielder. Isn't going to do much to hurt you, and will occasionaly do alot to help you.

Based on a full season and if given the chance to play full time, the most I would expect out of Lane is 15-20 HRS, 70-80 RBIs and a respectable batting average. I wouldnt be shocked if he could do better though.

3. qwerty

qwerty Contributing Member

He has been an MVP at every level he has ever played on, I believe. He has always been a prospect, just never had a position open in the majors. Too good to trade though, I guess.

From watching him, he has nice plate awareness and is adept at taking the ball to all fields, thereby avoiding the dreaded Richard Hidalgo "I'm going to try to pull the ball to the Crawford Boxes every time I swing and end up popping up half the time" swing. He also seems to have a lot of Bagwellian topspin on a lot of his hits, which can be good for scooting doubles to the wall and such, but could also cut down on homeruns.

Overall, I like him, and really feel he is a valuable team member. Star? No. This year's Ensberg? Sure. And that could be the difference between a mediocre offense and a great one.

4. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

OK thanks, fellas.

I exaggerated about the Berkman thing. I actually have only heard that once or twice ... once on a ESPN telecast. They dint dwell on it, just mentioned it in passing.

Well, I'm up for ANYTHING to jumpstart this team. We look pathetic right now. It's sadsadsad.

I assume Jimy will be gone soon if this goes on another week or two?