1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's step back jumper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Downtown Sniper, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I feel like this needs it's own thread because of how far this shot has progressed in Harden's game.

I remember in his first year here cringing at the sight of him doing his 5 second fancy dribble routine because it would seemingly always result in a step back jumper which would rarely go in.

Fast forward to now - and I'm actually amazed when that step back misses.

From anywhere on the court, his step back jumper is becoming kind of ridiculous.

Big on him, small on him - it doesn't matter. He's shaking that defender with his dribble, and he's knocking down shots.

He's obviously put in a lot of work and reps the past couple of off-seasons to perfect that shot and he's reaping the benefits from it.

He has basically patented the Euro-step. But this step back is becoming a very reliable go to move.

For your time:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zlydxe79Iuo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he's added chris paul's side step from the 3 point line as well

4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Going needs gifs of all said perfected basketball moves in here ASAP

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

I played a pick up game after work yesterday and made a few step back jumpers on the mid range. Feels good when you make them. Now I need to learn the euro step and grow a beard.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The Chris Paul move is more impressive to me since they are the only ones that can do it. Get pass his man, get into the lane, and keep the guy behind by slowing down.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I like seeing the dirk fadeaway when he does it.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Belinelli is still looking for his shorts. Harden is perfecting a series of go-to moves that can be unstoppable, especially if the other guys are playing their roles. Moving decisively without the ball, snapping the pass that leads to the pass that gives Harden that bit of space he needs, and he doesn't need much. Playing their roles. Chemistry. When we truly click, which will take a while, longer if/when Morey makes another deal by the deadline (I think he will), come deep into the Spring, we should be a consistent force, in my opinion. Given health, coaches are going to dread facing the Rockets.

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Agree.

This stepback jumper is a great last shot of the game.

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Well said... He's truly become a dominant offensive player and his growth this year has been nothing short of remarkable. He needs to cut down on some of the turnovers (cough*cough bounce passes in traffic) but he's been an absolute revelation this year.

I too believe a trade is coming - hopefully for a pg that can create and shoot. I just don't want to trade dmo for it. I'd be fine w keeping the roster in tack as is if ariza could find his stroke from 3 but, the Knicks game notwithstanding, we need another offensive threat out there

11. omgTHEpotential

[​IMG]

--------

History

--------

Developed in European basketball, the move is generally accepted to have been brought to the NBA by Lithuanian Šarūnas Marčiulionis, though there is footage of Elgin Baylor performing a similar move in an early-1960s game, possibly before Marčiulionis was born, as well as Julius Erving in a 1974 ABA playoff game, and Archie Clark in a 1972 ABA vs. NBA All-Star Game,[3] and was popularized in North America by Manu Ginóbili, an Argentine who arrived in the NBA from the Italian league.

--------

12. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

and dirk's one legged fadeaway

13. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I digress, that's a Ron Artest move....

14. CCM721

CCM721 Member

I think you're taking his post a little too literally.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Where are all.the highlights? That shot is a thing of beauty.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

For a horizontal player, it's a space clearer, but much harder to learn, whereas Jordan who was vertical would drive hard, stop on a dime, and then elevate to leave his man. It's basically the same thing.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Man, that move he put on Prigioini last night followed by the stepback on the help defender (can't remember who it was) was RIDICULOUS. If that shot had gone in that would have been a highlight for the years.

Then he put that monster eurostep on later in the game. Freaking unreal. Of course, that shot rimmed out also. LOL

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This was the first ridiculous move.

Here's another step back killer.

[​IMG]

19. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The stepback 2 after the crossover DID go in.

20. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I was glad the refs were calling the fouls that were so hard to come by in CHI.