1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden will start the 2017 All-Star Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jan 19, 2017.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LOL Westbrook going to come in and chuck 100 shots during the game. Not like he needs any other motivation to chuck

Westbrook ALL star MVP again

2. Orange

Orange Member

Media votes don't scare me . Only 2 guys voted for Westbrook and not harden. 91 guys voted for both and I'm sure most of them would vote for harden over Westbrook for mvp if the season ended today.

3. RyanB

RyanB Member

Not quite sure, I'm scared the media will screw HARDEN again this year

vtjsr2 likes this.
  4. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

Ernie explains about a minute in.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If the fans had their way Warriors would have guaranteed 3 all-stars starters every year.

6. jsingles

jsingles Member

[​IMG]

Look who he didn't mention.

7. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Very helpful!

So it breaks down like this (lower scores are better): where you place in the fan vote times 2 (since they get half the vote) plus where you place in the media vote, plus where you place in the players vote. Take the sum of those numbers and divide by four.

Curry = 1 (fan) + 1 (fan) + 3 (media) + 3 (players) = 8 / 4 = 2

Harden = 2 (fan) + 2 (fan) + 2 (media) + 2 (players) = 8 / 4 = 2

Westbrook = 3 (fan) + 3 (fan) + 1 (media) + 1 (players) = 8 / 4 = 2

So all three tied with a score of 2... tiebreaker goes to the fan vote where the top two vote-getters were Harden and Curry. So your votes really mattered here.

8. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

That's the most asinine shet I have ever heard of for a voting system. It really makes the fan vote seem like it's only 50%, but it's much higher than that. If you weighted vote totals, Curry's chicken azz would be waiting for the coaches to put him on the team.

But oh well, all I really care about is Harden starting anyway.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I'm not sure how related media all star voting and MVP voting will be but it's a bit disturbing that Westbrook led that vote. The media narrative that Westbrook has a bunch of scrubs while Harden is on a stacked roster continually gets thrown out there. Never mind the fact that it's complete bullshit and they just gave the MVP back to back to a guy who plays with multiple all stars.

Westbrook is awesome but this MVP race is objectively not close. Harden is easily the leader.

Starters get snubbed all the time by fan voting, I've never seen this kind of outrage for one player.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Is there a western conference portion?

11. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Or more likely Kobe would be the MVP, as many casual fans likely don't know he's no longer in the League.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, in Clutch's thread we discussed this in great detail. An alternative formula using Total Votes across all three voting segments would have kept Curry out. It's a formula where player and media votes use a multiplier to equal more than one fan vote, e.g. each player vote equals like 10,000 fan votes, calculated as a ratio of fans to players, likewise using a ratio of fan votes to media votes to establish their multiplier. Then you just add them up for the winners. That's immediately what I thought they'd use. So fan votes would be less significant. But using a point system makes #1 exceedingly hard for media and players to overcome.

13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Agreed. I really was hoping to see the tres amigos start.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. alethios

alethios Member

Whatever.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Anyone know what Harden and Westbrook's relationship is like?
    Just curious. I know Harden seems kool with Durant.

Rocket River

16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Peter bumpin buddies. Even after we beat them, James and Russ hugged and talked after the game. Russ doesn't even shake hands with opponents after a game.

17. valorita

valorita Member

What they should do is get rid of front/backcourt designations and just start the best five (or lowest scored players)

Harden
    Westbrook
    Durant
    Curry
    Leonard

Vs

Lebron
    Greek
    Thomas
    Lowry
    Irving

What an amazing game that would be.

18. MystikArkitect

All Star and MVP are different things.

Media members who voted for Westbrook likely also voted for Harden. So like seriously there was 6 media members that thought Curry deserved a spot over either Westbrook OR Harden? Guessing all Bay Area dudes?

19. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

Lol. I wish Westbrook gets it over Curry with Zaza and Durant making it too. Thats going to be some funny entertainment right there.

Westbrook's going to run out of people to pass to.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm not really. I just don't take the drama as serious as the media especially is making it out to be. come all star weekend watch are the smiles and jokes coming soon