1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden on Kevin McHale: "He's a clown. He never taught me anything"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 7, 2017.

1. samerth.is.so.b.f.g.

Honestly, it's amazing to me how often Houston is discredited when the team is consistently getting alot wins and other teams can't get wins like us (I mean imagine if we had the wolves roster on our team or some of the other players out there, but those guys can't get a lot of wins with their team? Hmm)

maybe I'm a biased fan but that's what it looks like to me

Oh and We need an "Official Roast Kevin McHale Thread" lol

BigShasta likes this.
  2. samerth.is.so.b.f.g.

McHale looks so f'n desperate too but no one talking about that. Wtf is wrong with that old guy lol. just keep your mouth shut and be professional old man. Plus if you watch the rockets you can tell harden is a great leader just Fromm watching these guys. Remind me who Clint capela would be without harden again? ........

#322 samerth.is.so.b.f.g., Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  3. fattz

fattz Member

Is it possible there both right. Both are/where all world basketball players. Being an all world basketball player doesn’t make one a great coach or leader.

Easy and kjayp like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Kind of ... it's likely... but much more blame on the Coach. When did he ever held Harden accountable and groomed him to be a leader?

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

since no one answered...blade runner, the original.

JaceMan da SpaceMan likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, it would have been great if he could have just laughed Brickhale off -- that would have been a better look, we can admit.

I personally think "clown" is fine, but saying "he never taught me anything" sounds more like a wounded, sniffling person, TBH. And I'm sure Milkhair's comments did sting, but I'd love it if Harden could have hidden that sting better.

Easy, hakeem94 and Deckard like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You might be right. Harden has never clapped back before. CP3 here now. And this.

I am 100% behind Harden on this. McHale was out of line. Didn't like that one bit.

8. Sen89

Sen89 Member

McHale was a little out of line calling out Harden in the way that he did, as I think it was an attention-seeking move. Even if he did feel that way, he pushed it a bit too far.

That said, I think James has to be above this. This was an immature reaction to an immature quote from McHale.

I never thought I'd be lauding D'Angelo Russell for maturity, but Magic Johnson called him out for not being a leader (and it wasn't even warranted, he called him out for no reason after he was dealt to BKN), but instead of firing back, the 21 year old didn't respond. He said it's in the past and Magic can spew whatever he wants.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No one answered him, because this is a banned poster's new ID -- Mr. Motiejunas.

He's trying to be a naive foreigner who asks stupid questions using bad grammar. He's asked us what "SMDH" meant a few days ago.

Hilarious schtick don't you think?

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think the distinction is to be a leader through his play - on both ends of the court... Be an all around leader by example... Hopefully now that he has CP3 around, Harden won't have to 'carry such an immense load on offense' so he won't have to 'force things' offensively and reduce his turnovers and he can play an overall more well rounded game - including defense...

12. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Cutting someone's quote halfway is also lame of OP. Harden said "he never taught me anything , to be a leader".

DudeWah and Drogba like this.
  13. JaceMan da SpaceMan

Thanks u

14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I actually appreciate the fact that Harden showed that McHales words stung - it let's me know that he takes it seriously... how he chose to retort could have been better... but I'll take this over "those that matter dont mind and those that mind don't matter" anyday... imo...

and yes, McHale overstepped on his remarks too...

B-Bob likes this.
  15. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Well, Harden just proved McHale's point. A real leader doesn't respond like a child to what others say about them. They set a good example for others. Be the bigger man. McHale shouldn't have said that, but Harden just helped prove his point for him by his response.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Is Lebron not a leader because he was beefing with Phil Jackson?

17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Wrong fkin thread

18. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

He just came up with something and claim that's what a leader have to do. When did anyone else say a leader have to stay silent when others mocked him on national TV?

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Indeed. I'm mildly surprised that anything McHale has to say can generate so much consternation around here. One should never get into arguments with a fool because folks may not be able to tell the difference.

OK then. I was under the (mistaken?) impression that the goal for this team and organization was to win an NBA championship in our collective lifetimes and not obsess over media coverage, opinions of media talking heads and the like. As such, I really don't care about MVP votes, NBA selections because at the end of the day those things - while nice and all that - are inconsequential in my view. Now, if what you are saying is true then I would love to ask Duncan or Curry which one they value the most: their MVP awards or their NBA championship rings.

Agree that not everyone Is wired the same but again you, Harden and the rest are being awfully thin-skinned over something said by a TV talking head. As far as I'm concerned, it takes ZERO emotional energy to ignore that stuff especially when it comes from a guy who has done nothing to distinguish himself as a legitimate coach (or GM) in this league. It only becomes a nuisance if you allow it to do so and that does nothing to move them closer to what should be their one and only goal.

Easy and hooroo like this.
  20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Ya that was a dumb thing to say. Plenty of leaders don't let people drag their name through the dirt. It's not like he was responding to skip bayless, he is responding to an ex coach

BigShasta and Reeko like this.