1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden in Game 3 vs the Jazz, Brilliant.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Apr 21, 2019.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think he played great.

He didnt shoot well at all. His rotation, rhythm, setup and release were off all night. Credit to jazz.

But man he didnt get flustered. He kept making the right read after right read. Made all the correct passes.

His defense was very good. He was making correct rotations and great box outs. His grit was there for sure. Obviously shout out to big tuck.

In the 4th, he absolutely was able to get clutch and ot was awesome. Going 2-5 from 3 and 3-6 while knocking down all 6 FTs after the team struggled from the line all night. CLUTCH.

The effort from the entire team tonight was great in an ugly game. And Harden was as gritty and tough as anyone.

Ya Love Ta See It

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I went to go look at the box score and Harden only had 4 turnovers.

In the past, these kind of games really went south, really quickly. He'd usually end up with 8+ turnovers. Today, he stayed under control, he didn't panic and he kept on with the game plan.

It absolutely angers me that our own fans are so freaking blind to appreciate that James Harden contributed tonight despite not shooting well. He had maybe two dumb turnovers, but overall, he freaking stayed with it man. He fought, he defended. It also angers me that people were stating that he wasn't being aggressive when he had four fouls. The reality is that since he is James Harden, the refs usually buy the bullshit flopping that goes on against Harden, so he could not be aggressive until the very end. Defensively, he could not risk bodying up otherwise, he could of gotten a foul called on him really easily.

James Harden played a control game today despite **** not going his way. The refs swallowed their whistles for the 2nd and 3rd quarter on him. They finally started calling it fair in the fourth for him.

#2 ElPigto, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

we got people in the game thread talking about he was being timid or that he’s not mentally tough enough

Lmao, really? That Skip Bayless level analysis that I was seeing was quite funny.

Harden was getting steals, setting up his teammates, and driving hard to the hole all game. He just couldn’t buy a bucket, nothing more, nothing less. He stepped up in the 4th and closed the game out. The shooting was horrific, but he was very good in many aspects tonight.

4. riko

riko Member

He had his bad moments but he was engaged despite his shooting and his play making was good for the most part despite the misses. But his 10 points in the last. 2 minutes when the whole jazz defense was keyed on him was great. He didn’t melt and hit big shots against the best defense in the league

#4 riko, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The refs were calling classic hard contact playoff basketball.

We gotta get used to these kind of games.

I liked that he kept his heat checks under control. He also knew he didn't have to go wild because the team kept fighting, like that crazy Gerald Green stretch.

That foul trouble **** was bs but that's part of the way to a championship too.

I looked at the +\- and Harden had the 2nd highest under Gordon. Chris was the only starter with a negative rating which is food for thought...

Also forgot to mention, he took a lot of hard hits and hard falls. If that doesn't show grit and hunger, go back slobbering over old TMac tapes.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I never doubted him tonight. I do think he was passing up some shots. But I always believed the Rockets would win. They never rattled.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

And doing all this while getting hacked by Jazz, refs and ESPN announcers.

8. xaos

xaos Member

In contrast, Lowry had a bad game 1 and just stopped attacking

saleem likes this.
  9. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I think he is much more mature now. I am glad he didn't get mentally beat down this game. Over the years I watch him play, there are games where he get so frustrated because the refs are against him that he loses his focus and plays horrible, not the case this game. There were several pretty obvious bad calls against him this game, he willed through it.

I think the Jazz's defense strategy worked this game. In the first two games, they didn't execute it well, the positioning of Harden's primary defender wasn't very good. The only job of Harden's primary defender is to take away his step back three completely, so the correct position should be at the left back of Harden, not parallel to Harden's side. In this game, Jazz's defender used the correct positioning, and it really bothered Harden's three.

I am glad this happens, in a first round match up where we win. It gives Harden and our coaching staff to make plans accordingly so we have better counter in the games that are more important.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Needs to take the midrange when the defender is literally staying behind him daring him to. Other than that solid 4th which is where games are won..

I don’t think people had issues with misses, if you’re as gifted and as great of a player as harden I think you don’t go full westbrick but you keep shooting. But again, solid defense and 4th q

Red Chocolate and saleem like this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He stayed engaged and kept the pressure on in the fourth quarter instead of wilting. But to say this was even a good game for him is a stretch. Would have liked for him to attack more strongly in transition before the Jazz got set.

I expect a big game from him in game 4. It’s going to be fun.

anchel, Hakeemtheking, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  12. RocketRoller

RocketRoller Member

Our bench REALLY shined tonight. Kept us in the game.

13. jayfree

jayfree Member

Announcers kept harping on him going 0-15 for 3 quarters but most of that was due to foul trouble. He picked up 2 fouls in the first 90 seconds of the game. They didn't once mention that. When we were down by only 2 to enter the 4th and Harden had 2 fouls left to give I was certain he would be aggressive again and the Rockets would win. A very easy game to watch and much needed. I would rather a game like this happen for the Rockets to adjust to than to blow out the Jazz in 4 games and get clobbered by the Warriors.

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

If Harden ever had even 1 game where he just started pulling up at the FT line for shots, the world would implode!

Matter of fact. Game #1 against the Warriors, I would love to see him do only that for the entire game. They wouldn't know what to do with that.

hakeem94 and Lawlruschang like this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm as big of a harden fan as anyone here .

But objectively , "brilliant" is going too far lol

I don't think I'd be able to give him better than an A- or B+

He had 22 points on 20 fg , I always remember Worrel's line about holding a great player to the same number of points as shot attempts .

Yes he had 10 assists . But I've seen him pass better

Yes he had 6 steals but I've seen him play better defense.

He WAS able to keep calm and deliver in the fourth ... which is why I would still say it was a good game . But it wasn't one of his better performances . I do like that he battled through adversity

macho GRANDE likes this.
  16. delta69er

delta69er Member

He also had 6 steals! Gritty performance and it's truly a sign of how much he's matured over the past few years how he willed us to victory (and Tuck) in the 4th.

The only thing I would criticize is Harden not taking those easy midrange jumpers that are available to him like CP does with how the Jazz is guarding him. The Jazz defensive strategy has made the stepback 3 tough on James and Gobert's length has bothered Harden's floater all series. I'm not saying to shoot a long 2 every time but a pull up FT line jumper here and there would make James truly unguardable.

Voltik, hakeem94 and topfive like this.
  17. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

James Harden tonight and the guy from previous years is a cool exercise in examining growth.

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm not sure how easy the shot the midrange is when someone is shading you that hard .... especially on his shooting side .

Midrange jumper has to be smooth and when a guy is bearing down your back (and the foul won't be called ) I dunno that it's a great option

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Chris Paul would call it brilliant because he is being nice.... but Chris had clearly the better game.

Chris Paul, Rivers and Tucker for sure.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

James did alrite not shooting I think at least for 2 quarters.

I think in the first and part of the second Quarter he was absolutely flustered, there was no way around that.

He sat on the bench because of the fouls. You did not see him that much.

snowconeman22 likes this.