1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green without the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Apr 29, 2024.

1. cbass

cbass Member

He isn’t a Jalen only fan. This is a nonsense accusation that people who hate on Jalen routinely like to throw around.

He is a Rockets fan who understandably wants the former 2nd overall pick for the Rockets to succeed, and he is able to see the positive signs evidenced by said player. He is also able to see the negatives. None of this makes him an only fan.

I don’t understand why it’s controversial for a Rockets fan to be pro-Jalen. It seems like common sense to me. The quickest way for the Rockets to be contenders again is for our own young players to reach their potential.

I prefer to root for my team and its players to succeed, rather than using their failures as some sort of gotcha/I-told-you-so point. But that’s just me.

topfive, Rashmon, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

lol. I provided an example of two guards drafted in the top 5 of the same class who have demonstrated shooting improvement over 3 seasons. I’m sorry it hurt your feelings.

tycoonchip and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw: the CBA changed. Rookie extensions can be for any length (as always), but the 5yr extensions can now be for any dollar amount (not just max, as previously).

just repeating this, because I’ve found in Clutch’s Playback channel, fans are wondering how urgent it is to evaluate now, and what, if any, risk both the team and Jalen have in not signing an extension.

basically, there is no money risk on either side to wait.

Jalen doesn’t have to fear not having another opportunity to make Supermax criteria. Just like Maxey, if he bets on himself (rather than sign a Vassell-like extension) and becomes a free agent next year, he can still sign all the way to a 5yr Supermax deal.

#83 heypartner, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
    BigMaloe likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Okay, then let's say that he is a small percentage Rockets fan that only started X Chapters on a player that he is not Only Fan of.

Then it is more unfortunate that he attacks on behalf of a dude that has done virtually nothing much in 3 years other than having a month long hot streak every year.

The Offseason is basically for posters to chill in here.

Udoka is the team and the team is Udoka, enough said.

#84 daywalker02, May 1, 2024
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

BigMaloe, Rocketeer, J Sizzle and 3 others like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I know that's what you did, I was just pointing out the massively obvious context you were leaving out.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Over their first 3 years Jamal Murray was better in every category that matters.

[​IMG]

Even if you don't look at them from a cumulative standpoint, Murray was still better in year 3:

[​IMG]

#87 xtruroyaltyx, May 1, 2024
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Honestly thought the gap in efficiency would be larger given the different context and roles of each plsyer and the roster around them their respective first few years.

I'm sure if Murray increased his volume in his first three years with Silas as his head coach running next to KPJ his efficiency would be a lot lower.

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Man let him say whatever he wants, I'm a HUGE fan of every single member of the core and anyone can check my post history on Sengun, Jabari, Cam, Tari and Thompson. I believe all of them can be All Stars and two of those 5 can be superstars. I often say we can build a dynasty standing pat with this roster and not making major changes to the core. I wonder what he thinks of our guys.

Let the dude throwing around the silly accusation show us he's as complimentary of this team - outside of Jalen - as I am. You can search his post history too. For him, people like me being optimistic about a player who he doesn't rate as highly as I do must mean we're some kind of crazy player-only fan. He can't deal with the fact that he might be wrong, so his mind convinces him that I must be some fringe type of fan. Who Ime Udoka happens to agree with.

Maybe Ime is a Jalen-only fan too since he didn't bench Jalen as much as I would have liked. Agrees with me about Jalen's resilience, attitude, growth. Agrees with me that Jalen can be a star, any team would love to have him and his future meshing with Sengun is going to be easy. He believes he figured out how to become an effective offensive player rather than thinking it's a streak, and we agree there too. His coaching staff, our PG and backup PG all laud his work ethic and dedication to working on his game. All of them are optimistic about Jalen after they weren't in the first half of the season - I wonder what changed their opinion. Did they catch the Jalen Only Fan bug?

BigMaloe likes this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Nah, you pointed out that Jalen takes more volume (as if that negates his lack of improvement in shooting over 3 seasons) and then attacked me for having an evidence-based opinion that you didn’t like…which is unfortunate.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think it's silly to compare him to Suggs as they do have competent different roles.

Showing Cade's improvement in his 3pt percentage is fair though he's starting from a worse point.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I just pointed out some facts that show a bigger picture. I know that can be inconvenient.

Attacked Ime? He's my favorite coach in the NBA. Don't be silly.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jesperate fans look for any comparisons, started off as MJ, now Murray, on the way to Lou Williams.....

Jidiculous.

DD

14. cbass

cbass Member

Says the number 1 KPJ fanboy on the site.

You lack self awareness to an alarming degree.

BigMaloe and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We need a consolidate thread:

“Chapter 9: Where are we all at with Jalen going into next season as a father with painted nails without the ball?”​

16. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

What do you do with the little time you've got, baby?

17. cml750

cml750 Member

For Jalen to get paid we need to see him start off at least 50% of his streak level and not fall below it. If he blows up at the end of the season again that would be great, especially if it was just before the playoffs, but the key is his lows need to be MUCH higher than they have been for his career. If he starts off like crap again for an extended period it is time to get rid of him.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. NewAge

NewAge Member

OK, I’ll explain it to you.
    People who root for a team are "pro-" players who help the team win, and not "pro-" players who help the team lose.
    Thus: controversial

19. cbass

cbass Member

You mean like when he led us to an 11-game winning streak in March and should’ve been Western Conference player of the month?

How about this, his ceiling is ridiculously high, that is apparent and March was a good example of that. But he is wildly inconsistent. Some of that probably comes from his youth and the terrible situation he was drafted into (i.e. playing for Silas and with KPJ). But rather than be patient and see what he can do within structure — while he’s still just 22 — posters like you and others revel in his failures and criticize every action of his on and off the court, from the clothes he wears to how he does his nails.

It’s stupid, shortsighted, and, frankly, a little weird.

As I said, the easiest path to contention is our young players panning out, and he probably has the highest ceiling among them. So why not root for him to succeed? What’s the harm in that?

Of course there is no guarantee that he will get to his ceiling, but I’d rather root for him to succeed than get some weird hate boner while I glory in his failures.

But again, that’s just me.

BigMaloe and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You lack a sense of humor....and while KPJ is no longer a Rocket, he is still a way better player than Jalen.

DD