1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's 2025....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Jul 10, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Ime has had 2yrs to evaluate the roster, who do you think will still be here and why?

For sure;

Jabari - defense, scoring, leader
    Tari - defense, versatile, hustle
    KPJ - versatile, shooting
    Thompson - vision, passing, athletic
    Whitmore - scoring, hustle, defense

Probably

Green - scoring
    Sengun - passing, rebounding
    Brooks - defense, defense
    Nate Hinton - defense, defense

Will be traded or released

J. Green - will sign on with another team
    Landale - will be traded
    Fred VV - will be traded
    Tate - will be traded
    Huff - may make it this yr but wont stay long

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Gotta question anyone who thinks Green and Sengun aren't definite key guys on this team going forward.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Really..... 2025.... like wow.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jabari's near bottom ranked defense last year makes him a threat to be a "all around player".

The takes on Green and Sengun are so horrible from some posters.

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Not counting the Summer League games, I think Jabari showed what he can do at the end of last season. Im not worried about him.

Ime is in charge now, he is going to demand constant defensive pressure, not just from 2 or 3 of the starting 5 but from ALL players in the starting 5. Especially, if you have a roster that can go 10 or 11 deep.

Ive seen Green on several occasions pull a James Harden. And Sengun is just not laterally quick. That is why I question those two being here in 2yrs.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Lol @ KPJ for sure.

8. cml750

cml750 Member

He dominates some G-leaguers and kids fresh out of college and some are ready to anoint him. I will hold off anointing Smith until I see something from him in the regular season against real NBA players. I am encouraged he has looked so good but TBH he should look that good given the circumstances.

9. fchowd0311

The team has worse defensive pts per possession with Jabari on the court than Green....

https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/player/5092/onoff#tab-team_efficiency

https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/player/4865/onoff#tab-team_efficiency

And given that Jabari is one of the first in the starting line up to go the bench in our rotations, Green pretty much mimics the opposing team's starting line up playing time which means Jabari's numbers are playing against bench units a lot more compared to Green.

And then lets compare offense. Lets compare their rookie years:

Green: 17 ppg 55% ts ong 50% of his fgs made unassisted (self created)

Jabari: 13 ppg 50% ts ok 23% of his fgs made unassisted (self created)

Green not only scored more on more volume but did it more efficiently with significantly more difficult shot selection that was primarily self created. Jabari had a 50% ts on a open catch and shoot shot diet.

10. fchowd0311

I'm all for the Jabari second year leap. But man fans are always infatuated with the shiney new thing in front of them. Is it a coincidence that the two guys in Green and Sengun that can't show anything because they aren't in summer league games gets put on the wayside and fans are now saying that Jabari and Amen are higher ceiling players?

It's precisely because these two players are the last two players literally given an opportunity to play a televised basketball game and fans are like flies towards the shiney new light.

Like let's be real here. If Green and Sengun played in these summer league games they'd be doing prime Jokic Murray things to these summer league teams.

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Well, we have 2yrs to wait and see.

12. TheBeastSystem

stats from last year mean nothing

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

For sure
    Green/Sengun (Franchise cornerstones, 1a/1b like Jokic/Murray)
    Jabari (3rd option due to inconsistency, if he ever becomes consistent though could be 1c and we would have a true trio of superstars)
    Tari (borderline all-star starter)
    Amen (Could become best player if he learns to shoot, otherwise he is a bigger/better Rajon Rondo)
    Whitmore (Scoring spark off the bench, do it all player...except pass of course :p)

Maybe
    FVV (If he hasn't been traded to a contender or can't take being sent to the bench for Amen)
    KPJ (6th man contender if he hasn't been released due to further soup throwing and then Ime smacking sense into him and showing him he ain't Silas)
    Brooks (will not take being demoted well so probably traded as his ego is too big, but leaving him as a maybe for now as his contract is too large to easily trade)

Will be traded or released
    Landale (Not the long term answer at backup C)
    Tate (will be traded at some point, good off the bench player on a contending team that's stacked with shooters. Lack of shooting truly limits him though)

I would love to do this again in a few months to see where things stand. Interesting thread. Honestly, I just want to see how my for sure players develop with real coaching, those are the true high potential players in our team.

14. TheBeastSystem

bari is a defensive stud

15. TheBeastSystem

bari is a defensive stud

16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt Green and Sengun are good players. Im not discounting that. However, anyone who has watched them play basketball can not deny their lack of effort on the defensive end.

And with Ime, I just dont know if his main players can be one way players.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Nothing has shown me that Jabari is a better two way player than those two. The team literally has a higher opposing team ppp with Jabari on the floor relative to Green and Green mirrors the opposing team's starting unit and Jabari has a lot more minutes against opposing bench units.

HardenReturns likes this.
  18. cml750

cml750 Member

Hopefully he will be one this year but he dang sure wasn't one last year. Doing it against G-leaguers and kids fresh out of college is not the same as the regular season. Hopefully what we are seeing translate into him taking a big leap this year because he truly sucked last year.

19. fchowd0311

18 percentile in team on/off opposing ppp.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty solid.

I think it's possible that Green has settled into a bench role by then and sticks around.

It's hard to say with Sengun, I could definitely see a scenario where they push Jabari to play more of the 5 and go with a more positionless style. If they do, we'll definitely move on from him...but I could also see a scenario where they try ot build around him if he steps things up.

I think for sure Jabari and Tari are kept.

Brooks is trash, but given the hilariously awful contract they gave him, the Rockets are stuck with him for at least 3 years....hopefully they have the sense to move him to the bench at some point.

When it comes to Fred VV, it depends on Amen, if Amen is the guy a lot of people think he is, the Rockets decline that 3rd year and he moves on for sure unless he signs a smaller deal to stay as a bench guy.

With KPJ, who knows? Right now he's the 2nd best guard on the team behind Fred VV and would be the best SF too if he was in that position....but we still don't know how they want to use him. Based on talent alone, they'd keep him, but they could lose him if he's not given a proper role.

With Whitmore and Thompson, I think it's a lock they are still here, but what their role will be will largely be dependent on how they develop.