1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It appears that Brazil has gone full totalitarian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by K9Texan, Apr 12, 2024.

1. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

You certainly haven't advocated as a "extreme 1A absolutist" so I hope you'll forgive me if I got the wrong impression.

Kim likes this.
  2. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're joking right? Have you somehow missed AtW's posts in this forum? I mean, in this very thread he thinks pointing out that we don't know everything Jesus ever said is, like, checkmate in a discussion of the Bible's treatment of homosexuality, abortion, etc.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't believe all Trump voters worship him. I do believe a lot of MAGA people do though. From NFTs and shirts with images of him like God, to hanging on a cross, to references of him being persecuted like Jesus, Even some pastors and far right MAGA churches have spread messages like he is God's chosen one.

Screenshot_20240414-125251.png

MAGA's Disturbing Transformation Into a Church, Trump Into Its Savior

https://www.newsweek.com/magas-disturbing-transformation-church-trump-its-savior-opinion-1744661

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You have the very wrong impression. I teach the history of the 1st Amendment in the American context. I think the Biden admin has sucked in regards to following 1A priniciples, but so did the Trump admin. Gov Newsom and Gov DeSantis are two sides of the same coin - they both suck at 1A principles and are attacking it from different sides. If you're a true 1A person (not a fake 1A person like Musk), then it doesn't matter about progressive or conservative, but about the principles and constitutional history. My 1A beliefs are most closely aligned to FIRE foundation's beliefs, an organization that got famous/infamous for defending religious freedom on college campuses, but because they are true 1A people, they've defended many liberal causes and people too. They don't always get it right imo, but most of the time do.

No Worries and K9Texan like this.
  5. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

I think that such people go too far.

Is your criticism reserved exclusively for Trump supporters? Have you ever criticized the behavior of a leftist?

6. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Well said, good to know, and thanks for sharing. As for Musk, he's done wonders for free speech. Prior ownership censored en masse on behalf of the Washington Establishment and wacko, leftist, ideology. They banned the Babylon Bee for calling a man a "man".

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What?

8. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

9Hj.gif

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I think everyone sins, from far right voters to far left. I just don't get the ones who preach about how homosexuals are evil, yet praise and support other sinners. I don't believe some guy with a boyfriend is any more of a sinner than a man who cheats on his spouse or a guy who intentionally lies to and deceives others. As long as what someone does in their private life doesn't harm anyone else I think people and the government should just stay out of their business. You have those far right types that want to ban mixed marriages and same sex marriages when those people aren't harming anyone. To me that's crazy. It's like back in the day when some church going "Southern Gentlemen" returned from church and then lynched or raped their slaves without blinking an eye. Its hypocritical thinking to me.

10. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

They're as common in society as the leftist, lesbian, women who want to mandate the castration of all males.

11. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

We're all evil.

I was referring to a couple of posters who essentially claimed that Jesus was cool with homosexual relations.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That's BS and you know it. I've never seen a politician suggest putting something like that into law. I'm talking about those in power wanting to ban that stuff.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

JC shunned women and hung out exclusively with 12 other dudes. Definitely not gay.

14. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Yea? Where are all of the people that are demanding a ban of interracial marriage? I honestly don't know of any.

15. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

200w (2).gif

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

36 Republicans voted against the Respect for Marriage Act, that provides statutory authority for same-sex and interracial marriages.

Those who opposed are Senators John Barrasso; Marsha Blackburn; John Boozman; Mike Braun; Bill Cassidy; John Cornyn; Tom Cotton; Kevin Cramer; Mike Crapo; Ted Cruz; Steve Daines; Deb Fischer; Lindsey Graham; Chuck Grassley; Bill Hagerty; Josh Hawley; John Hoeven; Cindy Hyde-Smith; Jim Inhofe; Ron Johnson; John Neely Kennedy; James Lankford; Mike Lee; Roger Marshall; Mitch McConnell; Jerry Moran; Rand Paul; Jim Risch; Mike Rounds; Marco Rubio; Rick Scott; Tim Scott; Richard Shelby; John Thune; Tommy Tuberville; and Roger Wicker.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Why?

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Don't ask me why politicians do what they do. I don't understand their mindsets. They are a different breed than most folks.

19. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

You are fundamentally dishonest.

20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I think your judgement of me is dishonest. I don't care who people marry. It has nothing to do with me

Now if you called someone like Ted Cruz fundamentally dishonest I'd agree with you. Ted Cruz, a man in a mixed marriage, with a lesbian daughter opposed the bill.

#80 deb4rockets, Apr 14, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    FranchiseBlade likes this.