1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the Year Yao makes All-NBA first team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by white lightning, Mar 7, 2006.

1. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Yao has made the All NBA team only once: 3rd team in 03-04.

Here are all NBA centers since Yao joined the league.

02-03
    Shaq
    Ben Wallace
    J. O'neal

03-04
    Shaq
    Ben Wallace
    Yao

04-05
    Shaq
    Amare
    Ben Wallace

It seems that Ben Wallace will be his greatest competition, but can the all-Nba first team center carry a scoring average of less than 8 points a game?

I think the only thing stopping Yao is his injury problems this year. Yao's numbers are better than Shaq's, and both have missed about the same number of games. Amare hasn't played yet and J. O'neal has missed more games than Yao and his numbers aren't as good.

If the Rockets can make a push into the playoffs, Yao should have a very good arguement for being on the first team this year.

2. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

05-06
    Yao
    Ben
    Shaq

3. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

I think the thing that may prevent Yao from getting elected for NBA 1st team is the prejudice against him among league personels. They will somehow justified putting Shaq or Ben in front of him. Our struggling making the playoff doesn't help either.

4. user

user Member

Play off. Yao did not get ROY because Rockets were a lottery team that year.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was talking to my brother about this the other day. Stats-wise, Yao is CLEARLY the best center in the league. Whether they give him first team or not, I doubt it.

6. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I highly doubt that the coaches will place Shaq lower than first team.

If Yao doesn't get at least 2nd team, that will be a travesty.

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I doubt it. Yao doesn't have the "rep" of being the top center. The only way I see Yao making 1st team all-nba, is if he continues with his torrid post all-star production, 26 and 14, while leading the Rockets to the playoffs. Even then the first two slots might go to Shaq and Big Ben based on reputation and the Piston's record. But if Yao can't at least get 3rd team all-nba, that would be truly criminal.

If Yao can reproduce his post surgery numbers next season, 21.9 and 11.2, then there's no doubt in my mind that he'll make the First Team next year and for many years to come.

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

As long as they keep classifying Amare as a center, he'll be tough to beat for many years to come.

9. lalala902102001

No.

Shaq will be on the first team as long as he plays.

Ben Wallace will likely be on the second team due to Detroit's excellent record.

Yao will be on the third team if the Rockets make the playoffs.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Interesting. I don't think Ben will be 1st team because offensively, Yao and Shaq or so much supperior.

Purely looking at #'s, Yao is playing better than Shaq. Especially if they take into consideration Yao's play since coming back from surgury.

The ONLY justification one could make is team record. But even that sucks. Shaq/Wade have played nearly all season together. Had Yao/TMac played all season, they'd clearly have similiar team records.

If Yao doesn't get 1st team this season, it clearly demonstrates a bias.

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Let's wait until we see Amare run and jump on the court before we conclude anything.

12. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

As long as they keep Amare playing at the center position, his NBA career will end in 5 years. How many games has he missed since he joined NBA?

To select Ben Wallace as the 1st team is a joke. How can you select a guy has zero offense skill as the best center in the league?

Dennis Rodman only was selected to 3rd team twice and he is better than Ben Wallace.

13. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

SHAQ
    YAO
    Big Ben

BSPN love to kiss SHAQ's ass

14. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

doesn't Yao have to play a minimum number of games? isn't that way his stats r not listed on any sites that track them because he is under the minium of minutes or games.

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yao will never get respect until he makes some noise in the playoffs. That's just the way it is, and always has been.

16. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Yao not never have a chance at 1st team all NBA until he leads the Rockets to the title, or puts up 25-13 for the whole season. Even so, they will claim that Ben's defense negates all Yao's offense. And as long as Shaq plays, he will be automatically selected as a 1st teamer even if he averages 18-8. No sportswriter will have to question his selection for sure.

17. billybartlels

billybartlels Member

You all WRONG!!!

Dampier
    Camby
    Kaman

18. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

1. As long as Shaq is playing, he will always be in the 1st team. (I think he'll retire in 2 years).

2. Yao will not be voted into 1st team unless he lead the Rockets deep into playoff;

3. Yao will be in 3rd team this year IF he keeps up his current playing.

19. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

I think Yao has a great chance at being 1st team even with Shaq healthy AND Houston not making the playoffs.

You all are underestimating how great Yao is playing and if he continues doing so, and the Rockets keep winning at a decent clip, even if the Rox don't hit the playoffs, Yao will be at 23.5pts, 11.5rebs, 2blks, 52%FG, 85%FT at the end of the season (with the Rox around 40 wins). Pretty good numbers to support his case... and if Miami hits a losing streak, it can only help Yao's chances.

With all that, if he doesn't get it, I won't be heartbroken, but he had better make second team, if not theres something wrong.

Stuart

20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

So how did Elton Brand, Steve Francis, Allen Iverson, Damon Stoudemire, and Vince Carter to name a few won the ROY. It's decided by how you play not if you make the playoffs.

Yao took a while to develop his rookie year and Amare outplayed him that year in many peoples eyes.