1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is This Fair?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketManJosh, Nov 4, 2004.

1. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I was wondering how the number of electoral votes is awarded to a state. It is obvious that this is why a candidate can win the popular vote by a full 3% and lose an election due to the electoral college.

The simple solution would be to distribute the electoral votes evenly based on population right? Or are the electoral votes distributed based on how many people actually voted in previous years?

According to:
    http://www.fec.gov/pages/elecvote.htm

and
    http://www.census.gov/statab/www/part6.html

New Hampshire
    Population: 1,287,687
    Electoral Votes: 4
    Each Electoral Vote represents about 321921 people

California
    Population: 35,484,453
    Electoral Votes: 55
    Each Electoral Vote represents 645171 about people

That means each persons vote in New Hampshire is TWICE as loud as a vote from California. THIS is why a candidate can win the Popular Vote and lose the election. I think this is something that NEEDS to be fixed. It just doesnt feel democratic as each persons vote is not as important as the next persons vote.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

or fully get rid of it

3. RocketManJosh

I can see why they don't get rid of the electoral college because it would have been an absolute mess (way more so than it already was) last year if we would have had to have a nation-wide recount.

I just think if they distributed the EV more appropriately the Popular vote and Electoral college winner would agree with each other on more occasions

4. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

The number of electoral votes is equal to the total number of members of Congress the state has. California has 55 because it has two senators and 53 representatives; Wyoming has 3 because it has two senators and one representative. That senators are not allocated proportionately is why small states have more electoral votes per capita.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Then, if you allotted EC votes according to reps and held senators out, then it would be proportional?

6. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Not exactly, I guess, because maybe Wyoming's one representative for the whole state represents fewer total people than a representative who covers 1/53 of California. But it'd be closer to proportional.

7. Cesar^Geronimo

The sad thing is, is that it is just as "fair" as the voting in Congress. The people in the little states have more of a say in the laws that are passed then the people in big states

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The can still count votes by state, which in turn does it by county anyway. There shouldn't be any need for a recount unless someone's vote isn't counted or counted properly, which is exactly the case now. Regardless of whether or not recounting a state will change who wins via today's electoral college system, I would still want my vote recounted if I knew it was counted improperly in the first place.

9. r35352

r35352 Member

The number of representatives is proportional to the population while all states have 2 senators regardless of population. Thus if electoral votes were based simply on the number of representatives (not representatives + senators), then the electoral votes would be much more proportional to population than it is currently.

In this election, we know that Bush won 286 electoral votes while Kerry won 252 electoral votes. We also know that Bush won 31 states while Kerry won 20 states and DC.

So it is easy to calculate that if electoral votes were proportional (meaning only number of representatives) then Bush would have obtained 286-2*31 = 224. Kerry would have won 252-20*2 = 212. In this election, it would not have made a difference but you can see that Bush is helped out much more than Kerry since Bush tends to win lots of small states so gets a lot more of the "extra", "non-population" based EVs. It is also, of course, easy to see that if EVs were number of representatives only, the campaign strategy would be different and there are easily many scenarios where Kerry would lose in the present EV scheme but would win with a state's EV=representative only scheme.

10. RocketManJosh

The goal is to get it to where the person that wins the nationwide popular vote should win the election. Winning the way Bush won in 2000 is one thing where Gore barely edged him out in the popular vote and Bush won the electoral vote.

This year demonstrated a much bigger flaw in that with a few hundred thousand votes in Ohio, Kerry could have won the election despite losing the popular vote by a full 3 percent.

Even if the electoral votes are distributed exactly even it still could be unfair though ... A candidate could lose California by 1 percent and win Texas by 45 percent, and since it is an all-or-nothing EV, the candidate with the larger popular vote would still lose.

11. r35352

r35352 Member

You could have the electoral votes be based on a congressional district by congressional district basis instead of state-by-state basis. Actually Maine and Nebraska use this system. There was also a state constitutional amendment in Colorado to apportion the EVs proportionally rather than winner-take-all. However, this amendment failed by a large margin.

Personally I would prefer to get rid of the electoral college entirely. I see no reason for it at all.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The reason for the EC and for each state having 2 senators is to keep the nation from being controlled by the whims of 5-10 states. Would anyone care what the people of Montana thought if they had 1 electoral vote and one member of congress. It is a way to keep people in lower population states from being marginalized. The country already turns on what the urban population thinks, just look at the county by county map here. Some people don't think the rest of the country should be controlled by California and New England.

re: a swing of 200,000 votes in Ohio giving the election to Kerry, the election was actually closer as a percentage of population in Wisconsin and New Hampshire, so it was closer to being an electoral blowout for Bush than it was a squeaker victory for Kerry.

This country really just might be too big. It is obvious that we are already living in basically 2 nations, but we could divide it up further than that. If we divided it into 5 countries: New England, the Great Lakes, the West Coast, the Midwest, and the South, everyone would probably be much happier with their elected officials.

13. r35352

r35352 Member

I've heard this argument before but fail to see how the EC solves this problem instead of exacerbating it. Consider that under the EC, Kerry and Bush essentially campaign in 5-6 states and ignore the rest of the country because they are EC locks. Kerry doesn't campaign in the South, since losing 100% or losing by 51% makes no difference while Bush doesn't campaign in the Northeast. In essence much of the country is marginalized in the EC system. It reduces what is supposed to be a national campaign into a 5-6 state campaign. OTOH, if it was by popular vote, then Kerry would see a need to campaign in the South and Bush would definitely see a need to campaign in the Northeast.

As for Montana, Alaska, etc, under the present EC system, nobody campaigns or pays attention to these states right now anyway since they have few EC and are locked up. OTOH in a popular vote system, it makes a huge difference for Bush whether he loses CA 80-20 or 60-40.

14. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

I agree. One has to change the Constitution, and some in the small states may feel that having two senators is not enough power for them. :)

15. RocketManJosh

I agree with you on that ... I guess I am just making the point that if a candidate wins 51%-48% in the popular vote, the system should be set up where it would be almost impossible for that candidate to lose. The bottom line is Bush could have had 4 million more votes than Kerry and still lost, which I think should never happen in any circumstances. If its a situation where a candidate wins the popular vote by 0.5% or something and loses the electoral college, I think I could deal with the chance of that happening. But when you win by 3%, I don't think there should be any way that you lose.

I don't know that the current system is the right or wrong system. It seems like there are good arguments for and against it.