1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there ANY DOUBT about Rudy...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kidrock8, Nov 30, 2001.

1. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

What do you all think of trading Moochie to Chicago for Greg Anthony?? I don't know what Anthony is making, but we could throw in Langhi, Collier, and Glen Rice to for all I care.

We need a quarterback for the offense.

2. IVFL

IVFL Member

Okay this whole argument of Rudys offense being so simple always cracks me up. I coach B=ball, Do you know what we run, now this is 8th grade B-Ball. We run motion, so does our highschool, so does Duke, and over half the other teams in the NCAA and guess what so does the NBA. I bet half the teams in the NBA run motion, DO you know what the vaunted triangle offense is? Its motion with rules, thats it. Motion is a very simple offense, you either screen or cut, while reading the D. NO tricks no gimmicks no "Secrets" to fool the other coach. In football the Lombardi packers only used 3 running plays, pretty simple if you ask me.

What do you expect rudy to do? Make up this new offense overnight, then implement it overnight. ANd have the team running at 100% for the next game. If you expect that, you might as well expect Rudy to walk on water also. Get real guys we are missing our 2 best players. How good would the 96 Bulls be without Jordan and Pippen. I will bet you money they lose to the Grizz. If you think otherwise you are mising something

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Great post, IVFL. Our three best players are injured, we lose a few games, and everyone wants to dump Rudy. If we need a scapegoat, fire the team trainer. Or maybe the team doctor. Or maybe the team pastor.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

IVFL - No offense Coach, but your point is contradictory. If 8th graders, High Schoolers, major colleges like Duke and half the NBA teams run motion wouldn't you at least expect that a few of the players may have been exposed to it before they came to Houston?

Barkely's been gone for awhile, Akeem had a diminishing role for several seasons and Steve Francis is in his third season as "The Franchise".

Excuse me but if 8th graders are running it, I sure as hell expect Rudy to implement something that resembles ball movement and movement away from the ball. Or at least a background check to see what high school potential Rockets may have gone to. :p

5. IVFL

IVFL Member

Gater my response about motion offense was directed toward those that think the Rox offense is too "simple" I was just trying to point out how "simple" offenses are played in the NBA. Also, the offense Rudy is running is the one the players are most familiar with. It would be pretty difficult to get a new offense started in a week. We dont run motion well until mid season.

I would love to see rudy run motion, I think the gaurds could be just as effective. Howver he has his offense and it works pretty well when the starters are there. Plus Iso could be considerd a motion type offense when it is ran correctly, I think the big problem is that the other players are just not moving.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

IVFL-There's nothing wrong with the Rockets running a simple offense. I just have a problem when it's a simple offense to defend.

I would imagine your 8th graders do a much better job of moving without the ball, and getting open shots than the Rockets do.

7. IVFL

IVFL Member

No we really strugle with the whole open shot thing, but thats not a rockets thread.

the one thing I think the NBA should do to make basketball better is call the 5 second rule. seriously then you would not have Franchise Cat Mobley and Norris dribbling down the clock. It would force movement.

I guess I just have a soft spot for coaches because when our team wins. . . the players played a great game, when we lose, I coached a bad game. Or I am doing something wrong. SO when i see people getting all over the coach I am quick to defend. But I have many of the same grips about our offense as you guys, However It can be a very good halfcourt offense, the Rockets really need to run more, we got the ponys lets put them to work.

8. Sane

Sane Member

I'm no strategy expeert, or whatever, but from what I've read, the halfcourt game is struggling with the implementation of the new zone rules.

Is this true?

Because, I don't see why we can't be the best running team in the league (outside of Glen Rice).

Hmmmm...From the little I know, it seems that the reason behind this is that you don't want the other team to set up for the zone defense, so play "run n gun" to get them in transistion.

Another question. If so many teams have started to play non-halfcourt offense, whatever it may be, then shouldn't the Rockets' lightning fast players be reasonable good at getting back really fast to provide great transition D?

Anyone?