1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there ANY DOUBT about Rudy...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kidrock8, Nov 30, 2001.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

and his inability to create an offensive system, that does not revolve around 2 players?

Yes, Francis and Mobley are without a doubt, our 2 best players. However, our offense is even more stagnant because of the ISO.

If we utilized an offense that makes 5 guys actually move around away from the ball, then maybe, just maybe we can do something.

Who the hell do we have to ISO with now? Rice? Mobley?

Fact is, that in our "offense" the 4 guys without the ball are asked to scratch their nuts and watch one guy dribble for 24 seconds.

This turd of an offense is too reliant on 1 man being able to dribble his way through 5 guys to make a layup.

Rudy, get your head out of your ass, and just try to devise an offensive system that utilizes the strengths of five players on the floor, not just one.

It's great to see Rudy trying to use his offense with a bunch of no-talent clowns like Moochie.

:mad:

2. Houstone

Houstone Member

3. Houstone

Houstone Member

Get your head out of your ass Rudy Tomjanobitch...

4. Everyday Lurker

ouch you guys are fierce... *goes back into hiding*

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on Rudy is starting a lineup of 2nd tier players....missing his 2 best players, and his team has no comfort level playing together.

You know what makes a team comfortable other then time together?

A true PG, that is what !!!

DaDakota

6. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

I really don't know what the hell Rudy does. Our offense is more simplistic than my old high schools, and they sucked. We don't have a defensive scheme at all. I hear him talking about studying film and trying to find matchup problems but I'm beginning to think he's just locking himself in the film room with a bottle of scotch. :eek:

7. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

As much as i hate to be a rudy-basher, i gotta hand it to him, he makes it really dificult not to.

8. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Rudy never had a defensive scheme. He just funnel everything to Hakeem and let him intimidate/block the shot. Once Hakeem's jumping ability declined, Rudy never adjusted. In fact, has he ever change his game plan on defending the PnR?

On offense, its dribble and if someone is open and you feel like passing, then pass. A dead man moves more than the 4 players without the ball in our offensive sets.

Sometimes, its downright painful to watch this team play ball. It just seems like we have a bunch of streaky jump shooters. In fact, this team is the exact image of Rudy as a player.

#8 3Rings, Dec 1, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2001
  9. DaDakota

BULL SH..

Rudy ALWAYS hustled, he played hard every single night on offense and defense, he was a very good player, and if this team played with his passion we would be a much better team.

DaDakota

10. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

All you guys do is complain. Rudy is one of the best coaches in the league and you guys find ways to complain.

You never know what you have until it is gone. WE WOULD NOT BE ONE OF THE BEST AND MOST RESPECTED FRANCHISES WITHOUT RUDY.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Alright fair enough. But uh, can you tell me what makes Rudy such a great coach? The fact that he had arguably the greatest center of all-time?

12. DaDakota

Rudy got Hakeem to believe and trust in his teamates. Before Rudy, Dream would constantly try to beat teams by himself, Rudy taught him how to trust his teamates and it would make the TEAM better.

Once Dream started passing to his teamates the Rockets starting winning more consistently.

It will happen again, as soon as Steve and Cat realize the same thing.

Oh, and he also got the Rockets to play Defense during Dreams era, and he needs to do the same thing with these young bucks too.

DaDakota

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Uh, unless we get another big man the caliber of Olajuwon, we won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

It's easy to have a first-tier defense when you have the leading shot blocker of all-time.

I don't know what it will take for Rudy to adapt from the Olajuwon years.

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

B.S.

15. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Let me clarify.

I agree Rudy hustled and played hard. He was a great jumpshooter but a below average defensive player.

This team has a bunch of jump shooters (streaky) and below average defenders.

16. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

You would think you would see a change in the offense after it has been clearly shown FROM DAY 1 OF THE SEASON that it aint going anywhere. Yet, nothing has changed. Yes, we got off to a great start, but we only won by a couple of points in each of our first 4 or so wins.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Rudy is doing a HORRIBLE job coaching this season. Now I'm not taking away any of the positive things that he has done for the team in the past , but his coaching this season is horrendous.

1) Moochie continues to dribble himself into oblivion. This is where the coach is supposed to step him, do some coaching and teach him how to be a point guard. Yet we still see his dribbling show every game with absolutely no improvement. Rudy has clearly not said anything to him.

2) Rudy refuses to change. He hasn't gone anywhere all season with his stupid ass iso offense, yet he continues to run his offense around it. That is just plain STUPID.

3) Rudy doesn't have a CLUE how to utilize his players correctly. SOMEONE GIVE IT TO EDDIE IN THE POST!! We've seen Eddie throwing up 3's all season, and nothing has changed. Another coaching mistake. Rudy needs to tell him to get his butt in the post!!!!!! I didnt' see EG even TRY to post. I know this could just be a mistake by Eddie, but what signals to me that the coach is at fault is that nothing has changed. Rudy has clearly not said much to him either.

Don't get me wrong, I know Rudy is one of the greatest coaches. It's just this season, I think he's been doing horrible. Blah had to get that out. That's my nightly rant.

#16 RocketKid, Dec 1, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2001
  17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

DaD - Any possibility that Rudy is a one trick pony? :D

I am starting to get a feeling that Rudy's time is past. Lenny Wilkins is a well respected coach,too but Lenny needed several teams to get his NBA wins record. Riley is respected, but he's built the Lakers, Knicks & Heat. Larry Brown is respected and I don't have enough fingers to count the teams he's coached.

Doug Collins, Chuck Daly, George Karl....the list goes on & on & on. Oh, yeah and there was Adelman at Portland and the current Adelman winning in SAC-town without Webber.

Maybe Rudy has just reached the end of the line in his ability to communicate and motivate. Forget Kevin Garnett swimming across the Pacific Ocean. The past Rudy-coached NBA Olympic team came as close as any NBA Olympic team to losing a game.

There is nothing wrong with reaching the end and then renewing/resurrecting yourself later. All of the well known NBA coaches I mentioned have done this.

#17 GATER, Dec 1, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2001
  18. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Rudy speaks

:(

19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I'm at the point where I don't want Rudy as coach.

:(

I know he's a life-long Rocket, but dammit I am a Rocket fan first and foremost. I do not want to invest the future of my team in a coach who doesn't seem to have the slightest clue.

We have looked like the Bulls the last few weeks.

20. coma

coma Contributing Member

Rudy needs to get thrown out of the game more often.

Notice how EG was posting up more often when Larry was running the show?

-We need to start EG now and run plays for him inside the paint.
    -Cato and Griffin as a pseudo-twin towers.
    -Let's trade for a true PG and put Francis at the two.
    -Let's start Oscar at the three.

1 - A true PG who we trade Cat and Langhi for.
    2 - Francis
    3 - Torres
    4 - Griffin
    5 - Cato

Yea I said it, trade Cat if it brings us a true PG.