1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there any chance of landing Gortat?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Ramathorn006, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

According to ESPN, http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-091112-13/weekend-dime-players-soon-trade-eligible, Gortat is averaging 6.8 minutes in the month of September. After December 15th he is trade eligible. With this being said there are a few questions i would like to ask.

First is he worth the 5 year $34 million dollar contract?

Second would you want to break the chemistry of this team up (obviously you would have to package something including probably Scola and fillers)?

Third are the rockets roster set for the season pending a serious return of T-Mac.

I think we are a Gortat away from once again being an upper force team, not elite.

Your thoughts?

Lock if already posted. Thank you.

2. RocketMania1991

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

I love what we have. And no need to spend more money.

3. avexhype

avexhype Member

i would pass. i havent seen a single good thing from this guy at all.... guess ive been under a rock or something cause "best back up center in the nba"?!?!? when the hell did this happen...

4. redao

redao Member

exactly this.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If I had a 10 foot pole, it might be worth it to touch him.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not unless they toss in Rashard Lewis....

Gortat is now a poison pill contract.

DD

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

With Yao Ming needing to play less minutes, I'd think to acquire Gortat. He'd still be upset he's not getting minutes though. Dont really need a "ticking time bomb" upsetting things, but he'd be nice to plug in. Brandon Bass might be good Scola insurance, though Scola's restricted after the year. Get Gortat, let David Andersen play some power forward.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

+1. Gortat is not better than Landry or Scola, and he is making more money than both.... Awful.

He is also still an unproven commodity imo...

9. Francis 4 ever

If i could go back to this summer knowing what i know now i would still rather have signed Gortat to the MLE

10. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

McGrady and filler for Lewis + Gortat?

11. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

McGrady + Anderson + draft pick?

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I've seen you spout this over and over, and you still don't seem to realize that we weren't getting Gortat with the MLE, as the Magic would have matched as they obviously did to Dallas. What gives, seriously?

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Good idea. If we're going to do it, they better be willing to sweeten the taste of that poison pill contract by adding the most over paid player (who actually plays) in the NBA today.

Have you forgotten Rashard makes like 20 million a year? Talk about a poison pill contract. That's a whole lot of money for a decent third option.

#13 Williamson, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Morey has already answered that question: No.

The rest is immaterial. Gortat might get traded, but he ain't coming to Houston.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Exactly...Morey assigned Gortat a value this offseason and it wasn't mid-level money so why would he change his mind now? I mean we are not good on the defensive boards but great on the offensive boards and in the paint, now a defensive minded center would be a different story.

16. misterNguyen

misterNguyen Member

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I think with the addition of Brandon Bass and the way Ryan Anderson is playing, Gortat is going to see his minutes given to those two. 5 year $34 isn't bad if he can still play like he did last year and last post-season, and why not, he is 25. They won't trade him.

18. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

the more money he makes the bigger his nose gets :eek:

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Eddie Curry is a poison pill contract. Gortat is tradeable and can be if Orlando wants but the latest is they'll keep him despite his unhappiness. I thought this would happen with him playing behind DH, Orlando needed to go with a twin towers rotation to get him more minutes but they didn't.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-orlando-magic-notes-1208-20091207,0,2723721.story

20. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Gortat was very productive (averaging double-double) while Howard was out last season. I think he'd make a decent starting center. That is why the Mavs offered MLE for him.

You can't always compare someone's contract to Scola or Landry's. They are the exceptions, not the norm. MLE isn't much for an average starting center.