1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Chinese economy about to implode?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Sep 22, 2023.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

The only thing exploding is me after a 3 am Taco Bell run after the bar when I was young

2. adoo

adoo Member

which kinda explains this recent trend,

Growing Numbers of Chinese Migrants Are Crossing the Southern Border

How an underground industry is helping migrants flee China for the US

Many, from the age 20 - 30 range, who left point to a struggle to survive.​

#82 adoo, Jan 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  3. Exiled

Exiled Member

Its time for China to take Taiwan back

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

House of cards?

5. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t have an issue with Chinese immigrants coming to the United States, especially if they are unhappy in the United States.

New immigrant coming waves tend to help the USA long term. I have heard from people in US government about plans to evacuate huge numbers of Taiwanese to the USA - which I would 100% support if they eventually want to come.

MadMax likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Why? Taiwan is happy and more successful than PRC…. Also as a Muslim, supporting PRC is short sighted, they like putting Muslims in concentration camps.

Invisible Fan and astros123 like this.
  7. astros123

astros123 Member

These people entire narrative is America bad and everything else is good. Houthis are literally starving children in yemen on purpose and have brought back slavery. PRC is literally keeping muslims in concentration camps and re-educating them to become christians but these dipshit losers @Exiled entire MO is america bad.

As a fellow Muslim I'm so embarrassed how fkin stupid my people are. So many have been brainwashed

Nook likes this.
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

Russia broke international law and invaded Ukraine, why? bc they can

US broke international law and support Israel occupation why! bc they can

so why not China , not rooting for any, just pointing to the hypocrisy

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

KMT got greedy with the vote sharing arrangement with the TPP because their candidate Ko Wenje was gaining momentum. They both ended up arguing in the same announcement and split the vote.

CPP had all sorts of money and back channel dealings with both. Even got a third opposition candidate Terry Guo to drop.

Youth in (east) Asia are dying a silent death (euthanasia?) Every year, Taiwan and S. Korea fight for the lowest birthrate ranking. Wage repression is real to spark exports but a decent apartment in a midsized city costs around a million. 2 million min if you want to live in Taipei. DPP's Lai ended up promising something like tax credits to reduce prices, but it doesn't solve structural supply shortages in affordable housing targeted by speculation and foreign investment.

I don't think anyone has an answer that will satisfy that group and landed interests, but the incumbent party will suffer until standards of living rise again.

Nook likes this.
  11. adoo

adoo Member

Taiwan’s exports to China have enabled its economy to enjoy strong growth, especially after receiving a lift from the COVID-19 electronics boom.
    This has made China more important to Taiwan’s economic well-being—no matter how ambivalent many Taiwanese feel about the trend.

In view of this, what would happen to the Taiwan economy, should this prediction come true.

2024 is the year of the incredible shrinking China
    • enormous deflationary pressures driving down demand, towards recession.
    • the Gov doesn't have the will/commitment to print $, a la the QE programs that were successfully implemented by the Federal Reserve, to drive up demand

#91 adoo, Jan 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

This might be changing in the next few years. Taiwan enjoys a net trade surplus of over 150 Billion dollars a year from China, Taiwan's GDP (nominal) is 859 billion dollars. Taiwan enjoys 0% tariff rate on many products in its export to China, but there is a talk of eliminating the favorable trade terms as Taiwan severely restricts imports from China. China is also ramping up its semi conductor capabilities due to US sanctions, which could greatly reduce its import of various Taiwan semi conductor products. We will see where Taiwan is at in four or five years economically.

13. adoo

adoo Member

China has shown many capabilities, semi conductor mfg is not one of them; as compared to Taiwan and the US, to say that it is non-existent in China would not be far-fetched.

14. adoo

adoo Member

beyond the property crisis, short of china central bank implement QE programs, these telltale signs point to a shrinking Chinese economic pie

#94 adoo, Jan 22, 2024
    Nook likes this.
  15. pirc1

https://www.scmp.com/tech/tech-war/...-2023-country-braces-new-round-us-tech-export

China's import of semi conductor decreased by 15% in the first 9 months of 2023, the country has set a goal of 70% self sufficiency by late 2020s, if it happens, it will significantly impact the global semi conductor mfg. I think currently the country is less than 30% self sufficient, but seeing how EVs and solar equipment mfg have turned out, I am not betting against it.

dmoneybangbang and Invisible Fan like this.
  16. adoo

adoo Member

17. pirc1

No one knows the future for sure, but China came back from 1970s, by comparison, China is in much much better position now, which country doesn't have problems today? Are we going to see Argentina style collapse in China? Maybe, but I am not betting on it.

18. adoo

adoo Member

[
    revisionist history on your part.

in the 1972, thanks to Glen Cowen's ping-pong diplomacy which paved the way for Richar Nixon's visit of the PRC, China openned up.
    the decade-plus before the visit, China was suffering from Mao's economic folly, The Great Leap Forward, which led to famines

since openning up China's economy improved immensely.

#98 adoo, Jan 22, 2024
  19. pirc1

I am not saying Mao did not bring the country to the brink of collapse, just saying China is in much much better position to deal with what ever problems it is facing today than in the 1970's. Will China successfully deal with the issues, only time will tell. I lived in China in the 70s, if you told me then China would be what it is today, I would have told you dreams are nice to have.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think we can compare the PRC’s boom from the 1970’s to now thr PrC was a complete wreck in the 70’s with massive starvation and a rigid economy. It was backward technologically also. There really wasn’t anywhere to go but up.

Once economic liberalization took place
    The huge advantage the PRC had was a massive workforce that could work cheaply. That advantage doesn’t exist anymore and the means that the PRC used then to nuke economically can’t be used now.