1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Stephen Curry an upgrade over Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jopatmc, Jun 10, 2009.

1. hotdamn

hotdamn Member

He is equivalent to JJ Redick

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I think Curry will be a Kevin Martin clone.

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I am a fan of Stephen Curry on Facebook. Lol.

and yes he WOULD be an upgrade over aaron brooks. definitely.

I WANT THE WIZARDS NUMBER 5 PICK. BAD

4. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Agree to an extent. I do see some similarities. Kid can flat our score

5. Asian Sensation

Curry reminds me of Daniel Gibson.

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

.........except Kevin is 6'7 , longer, and much much more athletic.
    .......but Curry is the better shooter.

7. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

Richard "Rip" Hamilton is who Curry reminds me of, i think he is a good player but its hard to judge him honestly, his shooting mechanics are top notch and for a player like him to play anywhere in the NCAA and have defenses key in on him should give an indication of how much skill he has... he intrigues me but at the same time not having seen enough of him i dont want to say yay or nay

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Derrick Rose over Kirk Hinrich

Mario Chalmers over whoever

Kevin Durant over whoever

Michael Jordan over whoever

Shaquille O'Neal over Stanley Roberts and Greg Kite

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm not so sure about that, you realize Curry was a beast, even against superior teams.

He'll be slightly better than Daniel Gibson.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. solid

solid Contributing Member

The thing that worries me a bit about Brooks is that his inconsistency is almost Rafer-like. Perhaps time will change this, but he has some wild performance swings. I for one am a lover of consistency; I like to know what I am going to get night in, night out. Tonight, Rafer may go out there and take 20 shots and hit one.

11. Asian Sensation

Slightly better but I honestly can't see him being THAT much better. When you're only 6'3 trying to play shooting guard and you lack other god given talent attributes like amazing hops, explosiveness, speed of lightning (Allen Iverson, Monta Ellis etc) you can dominate the college game but when he gets to the NBA it's going to be much tougher for him as a PRO. I can think of a number of tweener shooting guards who dominated the college game yet never sniffed that kind of success in the NBA. Recent players like JJ Redick, Salim Stoudamire quickly come to mind or how about a blast from the past like Shawn Respert.

I'm inclined to say he'll be like a Daniel Gibson with a ceiling of Mo Williams.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I definitely understand the "bust" factor, given that Gibson was a much lower pick and Curry could easily go in the top 10. On one hand, he'd be bust for ends up being like Gibson. On the other hand, I don't think expectations are generally high for him to begin with, though. He almost has to become a point guard to be effective, as well. Curry is probably going to struggle with that, since he isn't point guard-ish shooting guard.

Hard to say...

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'll watch whichever team picks Curry, if for no other reason, for shots of his mom on the sideline.

14. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

If we had a pick to trade or to get him draft, I wouldn't mind but since we would have to buy our way into this draft, I say heck no.

The kid is ok but as an upgrade over a developing player that has been pretty good for us lately, I disagree.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Curry got his against teams designed to do nothing else but stop him, imagine how well he can play when he is not the defenses focus.

I would love to have him on the Rockets.

DD

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Take Thomas and the 3rd coming of mj; give Battier, Landry and BB + 3mm and you just might get that pick.

17. That Boi Oz

That Boi Oz Member

At this point there nothing that says Curry is going to be a significant upgrade over Brooks at PG. AB can bring it up the floor a little better, shoot the 3 and I'm sure AB is quicker than Curry.

Heck I say try get Curry at the no 5-8 pick and keep Brooks. Have Curry come off the bench at the 2!! We all know the guy is explosive and can shoot lights out!! That will give us insurance in case Ron Ron goes somewhere else.

The question should be would you rather have Curry over VONZILLA as the back up SG? Now that's a tough one!!!

18. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I personally would not. With the way this draft is and how weak it is depth wise, to get Stephen Curry you probably need to be in the top 10 and for us to get into the top 10 that means we've made a fairly significant change to our roster, not to mention we'll have to pay him top 10 money. I liked Stephen Curry the college player alot, but I dont think he's going to play at that high of a level in the NBA. I think he will turn into an Eddie House type player, someone I'm not willing to move valuable assets from our team and budget to aquire.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is an upgrade but not a significant one.

20. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

So did Redick. It's not as if Curry is much quicker or athletic than JJ is. Considering that Curry is being projected as a top draft pick, I don't think he's worth any sort of effort on our part. Maybe for Dorsey and White, but, yeah, you get the picture.