1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Thunder are trying to stay alive in Dallas -- it's Game 6. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is MLB tv worthwile?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Kilgore Trout, Sep 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I am thinking about subscribing to MLB.com's broadband webcast so that I can watch the NL central race. Its only $15 for the rest of the season and I should have no problems with blackouts. Have any of you guys used this service? Is the guality good enough to be watchable? I am worried that it may not keep up with the speed of the pitch very well.

Thanks

2. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

bump*

I was wondering the same thing. has anyone used this? Do you get all the astros games w/ this service?

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I ended up geting it last night so I could watch the Cubs Cards game. It was fairly good but every now in then the video would get off for a few seconds. After the game was over I clicked over the the San Fransico game and it didnt have any problems at all.

If you live in the Houston market where the games are on FOX sports or any other channel they will be blacked out. I live in Louisiana and the Stros game was blacked out last night.

4. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Well I used it on a free trial basis, and from what i saw, it was definitely worth it.

You can make it full screen, but it's not the best quality. It's fantastic quality if at regular viewing size, which is about 5 x 5 inches.

But the way it works is quite odd.

NOT EVERY GAME IS WEBCAST.

I don't know why, but only a select few are. I'd assume the games that are focused upon division races would be televised more.

If you live in Houston, it will not be televised within a 50-mile radius of MMP.

It's the same rules as cable blackouts.

Also, games that are nationally televised probably won't be boradcast, at least not this season. This is mainly due to the blackout fact. Since most people can gain access (whether yourself, a friend, or a bar) to cable and watch a nationally televised game on TBS, WGN, Fox, or ESPN, it would be blacked out and/or not televise din place of another game.

My guess is that more and more games (and soon certainly all, unless MLB focuses on Satellite/Digital Cable packages) will be webcast. If I lived out of the country, I could see how great this really is.

I was considering getting it for the entire season (at $80), but I decided against it when I realized not every game was webcast.

I would suggest you guys either watch an archived game that has been webcast (you will probably only be able to get the preseason free preview games) and check the quality out or you can buy a single game and test it out for $2.50.

I think it's worth it.