1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Klay Thompson a superstar?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by s3ts, Jan 4, 2018.

?

Is Klay a superstar?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. No

111 vote(s)
    84.7%
  1. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

I wanted to log in here to VOTE Hell NO klay is not a damn superstar in this league. He's a bonafide scrub playing in an easy system with 2 real Super Stars in KD and and Curry which benefits Klay. He's just a great shooter not a superstar. You put him on these Rockets team his ass would struggle in taking this Rockets team to the playoffs, hell he could not do what Harden has been doing carrying the offensive and defensive load for the Rockets the past couple seasons. Klay would get expose of avg player he is if he was on the Rockets. Harden is clearly the Superior player.

napalm06 likes this.
  2. cebu

cebu Member

No one would build a team around him so it's not super at all but he's got a superstar attitude in game.

3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Klay or Devin Booker?

4. Mr Chuck Norris

booker > Klay....Booker can dribble

5. omgTHEpotential

Reggie Miller was more of a superstar than Klay.

Jontro likes this.
  6. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Klay Thompson is a better player than Reggie Miller. Better shooter, much better defender. If Thompson could take his prime self, travel back in time and replace Reggie, Klay Thompson would probably have been a bigger star than Reggie.

Reggie's claim to fame is very famous clutch shooting (like Horry). But if you look at all his numbers, they aren't that impressive, especially considering that Pacer's gameplan was for everyone to set screens to get him open. Imagine a team did that for Thompson!

Conversely if prime Reggie played instead of Thompson today, Warriors would definitely be worse.

#66 celebrevida, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I would love him on the Rockets. I think he could be the "go to" guy on many if not most NBA teams. I think his overall game is better than Curry's.

8. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

One thing I noticed about Warriors threads:

When discussing specific players like Klay or Steven or Draymond... they’re always so overrated.

But when discussing the team as a whole, they’re “unfair”.

How can a bunch of overrated players playing together be “unfair”?

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

10. Mr Chuck Norris

WTF are you crazy?

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL GSW Curry Durant & Dray is holding Klay back

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hmmm, me thinks he has some tools he did not develop or did not show like dribbling more, assist and rebound numbers.

I think he can do that but wasn't relied upon.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

can any of them single handedly carry the rockets to 55 wins last year?

gotta admit durant leaving a wcf team to bandwgon with a 73 win team is unfair

14. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Other than Green who is more of a super glue type player, I think any of the others can do it.

If you swapped out Harden with Durant but it was coached by Popovich, why not? Durant is better than Kawhi and the rest of the Rockets last year was about as good as the mostly no-name or elderly Spurs. Since Popovich coached the Spurs to 61 wins and Durant is better than Kawhi, the answer is absolutely yes.

As for Curry, Dantoni could use him like he did Nash and run that kind of system. Harden is like a mini-Lebron and Curry arguably is an even better fit for a Dantoni type team.

Thompson might do okay under a Popovich system too. He's not as good as Kawhi but I could see Popovich making it work, at least coaching last year's Rockets to a high 40s win team.

15. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Klay to me is like a Scottie Pippen

That's the best analogy I can use.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Scottie Pippen is listed as a Top 13 or 15 player of Alltime, I dun think he is Scottie Pippen as good as he is.

Ray Allen light with more D maybe.

17. Realjad

For a 'top 13-15 player' of all time. I propose you get a list of the top 15 greatest teams of all time.

Then tell me, of among those teams, which one would have been better if they chose to build around Pippen opposed to their core 'superstar'.

Pippen is a great analogy for Klay. People may see Pippen as a superstar, but he wasn't a player you would want to build your entire franchise around. <-- but he is a 'top 13-15 player!'
    He was a superstar at filling a specific role around another superstar, much like Klay Thompson-

That talent is overlooked. There are some 'superstars' who cannot co-exhist with another-- it isn't an easy thing to do. Any players who can achieve that at an elite level should deservedly be seen with just as much respect.

Pippen was a much better player 2nd/3rd fiddle to another superstar, opposed to him being the star.. and the exact same thing for Klay.

#77 Realjad, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    s3ts likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I see what you are getting at.... Pippen was the best at being 2nd fiddle to the best, Klay is much weaker defensively in my opinion.

I think Klay is at least one tier below.

19. Realjad

Yeah, I was strictly using the comparison in regards to the paradigm of superstar/star status and not specific individual asset/talents.

It's like me saying Jordan and Hakeem were both superstars, even though they played the game completely differently.

Klay is whatever kind of 'superstar' Pippen was.

And while I'd think a top 13-15 player of OF ALL TIME, would be someone you could build a legitimate dynastic championship team around-- that is obviously not the case per Pippen.. yet Pippen is indeed regarded as a superstar correct? A 'top 13-15' player of ALL TIME would have to be categorized as superstar right?

s3ts likes this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Superstar has various definitions. If we use the definition "# of Clutchfans threads about Klay Thompson", yes, he is absolutely a superstar. :oops: