1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Klay Thompson a superstar?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by s3ts, Jan 4, 2018.

?

Is Klay a superstar?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. No

111 vote(s)
    84.7%
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

hell no he’s not a superstar

and for all the praise he gets on defense, if u force him to be your #1 option and increase his burden on offense then that defense probably slips

he benefits greatly from that GS system

BigMaloe and malakas like this.
  2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Was reggie Miller? They are similar. And both do not create for others. And therefore are not superstars in nu opinion

Easy likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Steph Curry all shoot/shot twice as many as that in their primes.

Superstars, true focus of the defense stars get fouled, even is they are jump shooters. Thompson gets to the line once every other game. Only 5 times this year has he attempted more than 2 FT's. It just shows how little actual traffic he ever has to deal with.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good question. Reggie was considered a superstar during his days mainly because he was the Pacers' best offensive player for a long time and the Pacers was one of the top few teams in the East. Most importantly, Reggie was clutch.

The interesting thing is, Thompson is a better defender and might be on the same level as Miller on offense if he was the first option. Reggie probably was better at creating shots for himself. But that's not his strength. The Pacers used complex screens to get him open, and he's great at catching and shooting in a split second. People say that Klay is a system guy. So was Reggie. You can be a system guy and still be the first option of a very good team.

That said, the Pacers were never an elite team with Reggie their best player.

s3ts likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Could Thompson produce consistently if he was constantly double and triple teamed and be the focus of the opponent team?

It is possible for a player to be a superstar even if he can't create for others, like AD, but AD has been constantly producing while facing triple teams.

I think that if Thompson was the sole star player of his team, that team wouldn't even make the playoffs.

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

Great post...I have watched plenty of games and confirm this...Every single time he's on the floor without Curry and Durant, he can't get nothing going...He's an awesome (all time great) role player, but he's not capable of being a cornerstone of a team..he just can't create on his own..

7. BackdoorHarden

Yes, Reggie was considered a superstar.

8. Mr Chuck Norris

**** no. Klay is ****ing garbage. Most overrated player in the league

9. s3ts

s3ts Member

Yes, and Reggie is considered one of the greatest shooters to ever play this game.

In some people's eyes, one of the all-time greats, one of the next 20 of the greatest to ever play.

I don't know if I can put Klay up there with him, but he's got similar game. His team is just not built around him, and it limits his game.

Which is to say, I think I agree that Klay is as good, but just not ranked high realistically because his team holds him back.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He might be overrated. Garbage? I'd take him over Ariza everyday, unless you think Ariza is worse than garbage.

malakas likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Are you saying somebody views Reggie Miller as a top 20 player all-time, because that's more than a little ridiculous.

Top 50 would be a stretch.

12. s3ts

s3ts Member

I'm saying the next-20 after 50 greatest of all time.

And like I said, some people. not all.

13. Red Nation RGV

Would he be able to carry a team on his own with only complimentary pieces?

Helllll no, ain't nobody got time for that

14. s3ts

s3ts Member

I guess that's what I end up doing too. But TBH, I kind of do the same w/ Harden. I'll watch him explode for 50+ pts, 10+ rbs, 10+ asts, and I'll just sit and cry my eyes out for having a superstar on the Rockets team who can do that.

With Klay, take away the assists, take away large part of those rebounds. Also take away ISOs and ball domination.

Talk about the best option for any ball-dominant player... Putting him next to Harden or CP would take his game to another stratosphere.

I guess it all boils down to him being a potential superstar, just not yet.

15. JaceMan da SpaceMan

Klay good but klay Bich

Obito likes this.
  16. Caesar

Caesar Member

I guess he could be a Reggie Miller type of player on his own team surrounded by really good role players.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Klay is def a max player. He's 'A' tier, but like Pippen, his historical status is unknown until he becomes top option.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I like this list but would add giannis

malakas and BigggReddd like this.
  19. Steve_Francis_rules

Reggie Miller was not a superstar. He was a one-dimensional scorer (career averages of 3 rebounds/assists per game) who still only ever once managed to finish in the top 10 in scoring, and that was really early in his career. He received a total of three third-place MVP votes in his entire career and was a three-time third-team all-nba selection.

In reality, Reggie Miller was a borderline all-star player (five all-star games in 18 seasons) in his best years, who managed to maintain that level of play for a long time. His reputation as a "superstar" stems almost entirely from a handful of really memorable, clutch playoff performances, that just happened to be played against the NY Knicks, the most media over-emphasized team in American professional sports.

BigMaloe, malakas and Mr. Space City like this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Was a good amount of space between him and Kyrie . . .. kyrie just missed the shot

Rocket River