1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Klay Thompson a superstar?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by s3ts, Jan 4, 2018.

?

Is Klay a superstar?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. No

111 vote(s)
    84.7%
  1. BackdoorHarden

Too many players

LeBron
    Durant
    Harden
    Curry

2. BackdoorHarden

LOL. is that even a question? No response needed

Elephant810 and RiceRockets like this.
  3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He's a fn dweeb system player.

4. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Can he carry a team on his back, we will never be able to know unless he really does,therefore, I don't think he is a superstar.

RiceRockets likes this.
  5. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Klay Thompson could certainly lead a contending team under the right circumstances.

I could imagine a well balanced, well coached team where he is considered the top player and leading it, at least by example. Think something like Spurs of past years but with Thompson instead of Leonard. (No I don't think he is better than Leonard but a Spurs-type team and system led by Popovich could make Thompson a legit superstar as it did for Leonard.)

hakeem94, Ozzy and s3ts like this.
  6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

OP in here getting superstar and 'super at playing his role' confused.

A team would sink to the bottom of the league quick-smart if they had Klay as their 'superstar'.

Ozzy and malakas like this.
  7. BackdoorHarden

Wow . Vernon Maxwell is 52 years old and still look like he did in the 90's. He aged well, unlike Franchise. He looks like a crackhead

8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

If he plays a role where he is he main guy he can be. There literally is never a shot he takes where I don’t believe it has more than a 80% chance it’s going in, he is that scary!

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

is Klay even a top 10 wing defender ?

Lebron
    Durant
    Kawhi
    Roberson
    Paul George
    Giannis

Are all definitely better .

The next tier of

Danny green
    Porter
    Oladipo
    Marcus smart
    Jimmy butler

Are all probably better

And even guys like igoudala , pj , and Trevor have a good argument .

Hell , Klay might not be a top 15 wing defender ( 2,3, and small 4's )

RiceRockets likes this.
  10. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

I'm surprised no one quoted you yet.

Do you think he's better than Kawhi? His shooting is elite for a SG however I think his defense is overrated as hell.

RiceRockets likes this.
  11. Rox11

Rox11 Member

@snowconeman22 thats absurd! Klay is amongst the best of the best game changers in the game put hate aside! If the rockets were to somehow land him they would immediately be on gs level then.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has to leave the team to challenge himself again.

Stats has to be there, and he has to carry a mediocre team to the playoffs.

I think he is borderline superstar and on a stacked team like GSW his star won't beam that bright.

s3ts and Rox11 like this.
  13. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Klay Thompson is a great shooter but his one-on-one defense is what Warriors really depend on even when his shooting is off. This was the case throughout the Finals.

One big play during Finals Game 3 comes to mind. Everyone remembers when Durant scored that big three to put Warriors up by a point. But what gets overlooked is what happened right after.

Thompson stayed with Irving during the one-on-one iso play and stopped him from blowing by and contested his jumper to prevent Cavs from retaking the lead. That play was just as important as Durant's go ahead three.

Whether or not his defense is "overrated" (and I think Durant and Green are probably better help defenders), not many can stay with Irving on a one-on-one iso like that. Other defenders either get blown by, give up too much space for a clean jumper, commit a foul, or require help which then leaves a man open.

Durant gave them the lead but it was Thompson's clutch defense, alone against Irving, that maintained it. Thompson's defense caused Irving to badly miss the jumper, Warriors rebound, forced Cavs to foul, Warriors extend the lead and go up 3-0 in the series.

#33 celebrevida, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    s3ts likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They always tell you ..... Get stops get stops, and get new possession.

15. watashi315

watashi315 Member

He's a great two way player. Solid defense. But like Draymond Green, his game largely benefits from the Warriors' system. He's more of a system player. If you make him the centerpiece of a franchise, he wouldn't be able to carry the whole team like Lebron, KD, or Harden. He's a star, not a superstar.

RiceRockets likes this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Well, he is a great player nobody will ever doubt that. But he doesn't have the burden of defenses focusing on him. If we traded Paul or Harden for him we would be worse.

He doesn't create for others and he doesn't break down defenses himself. He averages about 2 FT's a game for his career, which is pretty telling about how much coverage he gets defensively.

17. wesbound

wesbound Member

Yes, i totally agree that he's one of the nicer off-ball player in this league.
    But i can't say he's superstar level.
    As much as i love Harden i still think he can show up a lil more on defense, and with that said i'll still take Harden over Klay because of his ability to score at will, draw fouls, and lastly get everyone involved.

I've watch warriors game where KD was injured and steph is out.. klay was not able do what harden does and was just straight up shooter.
    He is definitely a great shooter aside from that his offensive game can't compare to Harden.

short answer is NO he's not a superstar

s3ts likes this.
  18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think he could get about as many wins(maybe a few less) as Westbrook did last year with a similar type of team talent level wise.

Pretty numbers but not enough wins to say superstar.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pure shooters rarely absorb contact. There are exceptions of course.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

No but he's top 20-25.