1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeremy Lin best when he is primary scorer/ball handler?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oelman44, Dec 10, 2012.

1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

We saw it last year with the Knicks. Lin was money, but then when Carmelo came back the chemistry he created went downhill and his stats dipped because of it.

First game with James Harden out and Jeremy Lin is going off, cutting to the basket, drawing fouls, making threes, and not turning the ball over, easily his best offensive game of the season. Is this just a one time thing, or is Lin most effective when there is no other primary scorer in the offense and he is primary ball handler?

Granted, James Harden is way less of a chunker than Melo, and this is in no way supposed to knock on Harden. Harden is definitely a top scoring talent in this league, but I'm just wondering if you think Lin is at his best as the primary offensive go-to guy, or can become a good 2nd option/run the offense type of guy?

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Linsanity is at his best when he attacks the rim.

He doesn't need to be the primary ball handler to do that.

3. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Can't attack the basket if you don't have the ball in your hands.

4. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

ITS THE DAMN COACHING MAN

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

If Lin is your first or 2nd option, you're not a championship team.

This game should tell Lin he should be aggressive all the time. Find his role when Harden comes back, and be aggressive. He's a decent player, but he needs to stay confident and aggressive.

6. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

You can say that about any other Rocket but Lin is best when he's 2nd option at least.

7. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I was thinking the same thing, Lin may be the best as 1st option, but you probably won't have that great of a team in this scenario.

8. t_mac1

Harden can be a #2 on a championship team.

9. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I was assuming he was first option.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If harden is your best player you are not a contender.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's just looking over his back when Harden is playing. Mchale is probably yelling at him. Props for not playing Patterson at crunch time.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't think the Rockets brought Harden over with the intention of making him the number 1 option.

We are waiting on that one player who Harden can compliment.

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Dunno I figured that's the Rockets plan. Build around Harden.

14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Same here. I always thought of Harden as primary scorer. Wonder who everyone has in mind that Harden could be a realistic complement to on this team?

15. t_mac1

If he's your first option, the best your team will be is playoff fodder. I envision harden in his prime at best a #2 on a championship team.

Agreed.

16. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

People say the same about melo....

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Is that because there are 4 players in the league who score more points than him?

Fail statement. If we had (for example) Chris Bosh or Aldridge at PF, with Ray Allen on the bench and someone like Kyle Lowry at PG then we may well be contenders. And Harden would be our best player.

I take it from your statement you don't understand how good he is. That's your issue, stop projecting it!

1 person likes this.
  18. fishguy91

fishguy91 Member

I'm absolutely happy for Lin's performance tonight, and it does seem that he plays better with average talents than all stars.

However, for this team to go further Harden and Lin needs to figure a way to coexist and play off each other. They are both young with high bball IQ, I'm confident that it will work out some dayl

19. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Who knows.

20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I could see the Rockets trying to get a dominant low-post scorer, or ball-handler at point gaurd, but am scratching my head at who the Rockets could get as a main score first player that would be an improvement over Harden. :confused:

Maybe Hardin shouldn't run so many iso's, but he's like top 5 in scoring this year so far.