1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeff Kent a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bottlerocket, Nov 5, 2004.

1. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

JK is a former MVP, 4 time All Star, and probably the best or 2nd best hitting 2nd baseman to play the game. If he is voted into the HOF I wonder if will go in as an Astro. If he has a chance then that is more incentive (not main incentive) to resign him. We might have 3 future Astro HOFer’s in Bags, Bidge, & Kent. So is he a HOFer?

2. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

If Clemens returns too it could be 4, as well as possibly one of Beltran, Berkman, and Oswalt.

3. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Oh, and as for your question, maybe.

4. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Yes, i think he will be in the HOF. His overall stats aren't great compared to today's sluggers, but when you compare him to other 2nd basemen, he's still one of the best in the game at his position. Coming back for another year, will really help his cause.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i think his offensive numbers are near the top of all second basemen of all time. if that's true he defintely should go but i'd have to look at it some more. as for going into the hall as an astro it definitely won't happen unless he wins a championship here or maybe plays 2 or 3 very competitive years here. as is he has a longer tenure with the giants, was in his prime there, won an mvp there, and got to the world series with them.

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

He will be beacuse of the numbers he put up being a 2nd baseman. Not many had power numbers like him in the past and he was a leader in HR and RBI's each year at 2nd base for so long.

7. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

No doubt the Rocket is a HOFer but I seriously doubt he go in as a Astros. My guess would be a Yank.

So if JK goes in I hope he goes in as an Astro and not Giant or Met.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

MLB now decides which team a player "goes into the HOF under," ever since Boggs wanted to go in as a Devil Ray.

Thus, Clemens will have to go in as a Red Sox, and Kent will most likely go in as a Giant.

9. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

wow i didn't know that. So if bags and bidge left and played for other teams, MLB would still pick an astros cap when they retire?

that was one of the reasons why i wouldn't want bags and bidge to play on another team but since its different now, i'd be okay if they were traded. I just didn't want another nolan ryan situation.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The situation with Nolan was a little different, because at the time of his induction, he was still a member of the Rangers organization (as an advisor)... but, under the new rules, even that may not have been enough to keep him out as an Astro.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ryne Sandberg was better, and he has not (yet?) been elected into the HoF.

Now, if J(er)K comes back for two more years and goes 'crazy' with production then let's see him in C'town.

12. Elienator

Elienator Member

If Jeff Kent were to retire today, I can't imagine him being in the hall of fame. He has never even been the best player on his own team. (Although playing with Bonds for a while hurt him there).

If you look at how the middle infield positions have changed in the last 10 years, his offensive numbers don't look as good. Defensively, he's pretty mediocre. His cold relationship with the media won't help him much either.

So right now, I don't think he's a hall of famer. If he has 4 more seasons of .290, 25 HR, 100+ RBI, I think he will be.

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

If he was a frist baseman, outfielder, ect. theres no way we would even be having this convo. BUT he plays 2nd base & he is damn good at it. I dont know if he has a strong chance of making it but saying hes not going to make it wouldnt b right.

14. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

The guy's a former MVP so he was the best at one time or another.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Doesn't he lead all 2b in history in career HR's? He's also got to be one of the top 2b of all time in RBI's, that alone should be enough for the HOF. If he was an OF or 1b yeah there would be no way.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i had no idea boggs wanted to go in a devil ray. that's hilarious i guess some bad feelings towards the sox? i always thought that guy was weird but a monster hitter.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He was (is?) being paid by D Rays.

18. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

In addition to Wade Boggs, Jose Conseco had a clause in his contract stating that if he went into the HOF that he would go in as Devil Ray.

19. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The MLB hall of fame chooses what hat to put you in when you enter the hall. The players have no choice on which team they want to enter the hall with.

20. Greg M

Greg M Member

BS. Ryan stuck it to the Astros. Boggs stuck it to the Red Sox and Clemens will probably do the same. Maybe you're thinking of another sport?