1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it possible to trade Bagwell to an AL contender (DH) ?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dc rock, Jul 21, 2004.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to trade Bagwell because I "hate" him now that he lost a step or two, I just think that if the Astros arent going to make it to the playoffs why not let Bagwell go off into the sunset with a chance to get a ring.

Now I was thinking I wouldnt want to see him play the Astros a lot, so it would have to be an American League team. Plus, I think with his injury and all he would be best suited to fill the designated hitter role in the lineup.

I would love to see the Boston Redsox pick him up, but I'm not sure if they are contenders. What team out there could use a hitter like Bagwell. I think he still has a little left in the tank.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no. no way. not with that contract.

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The only way the RedSox will take him is that you will have to pay about 80% of his salary. Plus everybody in the Sox lineup can hit. Bagwell would make that team worst.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

and with that shoulder. No team in their right mind would trade for that monsterous contract. 3 years and 40 million; not even Steinbrenner would bite on that.

5. MadMax

good point...you certainly wouldn't bench Ortiz for Bagwell!

6. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I don't understand how anyone talks about trading Bagwell.

He has a no-trade clause in his contract. He will not be traded unless he agrees to the trade.

Even were he consent to a proposed trade, not many teams would be willing to take on his huge contract and his shoulder problem. The only team I can imagine him possibly wanting to jump ship for would be the Red Sox, who were his childhood team. But would they take him? I doubt it.

What good is a Designated Hitter that can't hit?

Let Bagwell and Biggio retire in Houston, or you regret it like you do with Olajuwon.

7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Hey fella, I asked if it was possible for Bagwell to be traded . I think the people above had answered that for me. I don't understand how you don't understand that sometimes people ask questions. Not everyone has the time to be up to date on every player's contract. That's why I asked.

As for the part of "regretting" trading Biggio or Bagwell... give me a break. I said I wanted Bagwell to be traded to a CONTENDER , so he could have a chance for a ring. I wouldnt regret him getting to win a championship. Same with Biggio. One more thing, please don't compare Bagwell and Biggio to Hakeem Olajuwon. I love Bagwell and Biggio for all their years of hard work, but Olajuwon made Houston. He took the damn Cougars from basketball oblivion (where they currently our I guess) to the NCAA finals, then he gave Houston its FIRST two championships. Bagwell and Biggio have yet to win in the FIRST ROUND. Olajuwon is the greatest athlete Houston has ever had, hands down. No one comes close.

8. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Ditto

9. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Of course you wouldn't replace Ortiz with Bagwell, but if Bagwell were to go to Boston you most certainly would play him at 1st. Would you replace Kevin Millar with Bagwell? I know I would. As far as salary goes, do you really think Boston has a problem taking on salary? Still I don't see something this major happening. Bagwell is retiring in Houston.

10. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Associated Press

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox obtained infielder Ricky Gutierrez from the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday for a player to be named or cash.

Like I said, I don't think Boston has any problem spending money. 4.1 million is alot to pay for a utility infielder.

11. caphorns

caphorns Member

NO NO NO. You may be too young to realize this but only one man - Guy Lewis - took the Cougars from oblivion - long before he recruited Hakeem. Hakeem was still fairly raw in his Phi Slamma Jamma days. I'd actually have rated Clyde as his equal on that particular UH team.

Don't forget Elvin Hayes ("The Game of the Century") and Otis Birdsong

12. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

your talking about paying 17 million dollars to a player who isn't worth half of that anymore. Why would Boston want a 36, going on 37 year old who can't throw across the diamond and who no longer is able to hit. It makes ZERO sense

13. MadMax

i hear ya. i just highly doubt it. particularly for a player that may very well retire after this season. i think it's likely the astros will allow him the opportunity to accept a buyout of his agreement.

it is for a couple of more years, at least, i know. i just can't see anyone taking on that obligation with the risk that this guy may be done very soon.

14. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Nope.

He would make them less of a contender.

15. Raven

Raven Member

The best thing for all involved is if Bagwell agrees to a buyout.

16. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Great Post!

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Hey, I just want to mention this one little thing... Have you guys noticed what Bags has done this week. Not Bad!