1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Hakeem really this underappreciated?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blocked_ by_ olajuwon!!!, Apr 4, 2001.

1. blocked_ by_ olajuwon!!!

I've been visting this site for over a year now, and never felt the need to respond to anything since most of your guys say what I wanted to say. But it really sad, when some ignorant fans out there (especially in Houston) feel the need to blame everything on Dream.
    To be fair, let's take it from a casual, neutral standpoint. Fine, Olajuwon is not the same player, we all freakin' know that. Fine, Olajuwon doesn't dominate on both ends like he use to, we all freakin' know that. But to say that he's washed up, and he's a cancer to the Rockets is just plain absurd.
    Please look at the games this past season, everyone is always about numbers. When Dream's in the game, he plays D, and that's the number one rule for all centers. He jumps up to alter, change or tip some shots. He's always jumping, it's amazing he can still jump after all these years with the scoring, rebounding included. On the stat sheet it says one or two, and I guess most people are going by that. But look at the intangibles that Dream brings to the game. He's scoring 12, grabbing 7, and still blocking and stealing.
    That might not be superstar numbers, but that's still average or above average. How is it even remotely possible that Hakeem is some whiny dwindling player? He said he could still play, and he proved it since the All-Star break. I'm sad if his 15/10 isn't on par with the critic's standards.
    To tell you guys the truth, I hope Dream leaves. I'm a fan of the Rockets because of Hakeem. If he goes to the east and becomes part of an contending team, I'm going to supoort him. He deserves so much more credit than what is happening to him now. I hear it all the time in Houston from annoying radio talk show hosts to some clueless viewer at the Compact Center. Dream deserves more than this.
    Shoot, Dream just standing in the pain plays more defense than Cato.

------------------

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

welcome to the board.

that guy was just being a dork and trying to rile up people, don't worry about him... he's a troll. Noone really thinks that way about Dream.

------------------
    I'm sorry, but it's vital to the health of the U.S. economy that we destroy the entire Earth - Chris Stratton,
    Delivery Driver, on Global Warming.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Except that Francis3 guy. You make sure you let him have it blockedbyOlajuwon! That guy absolutely has no respect for Hakeen the Dream. He starts all these crappy thread titled Hakeem is a whinny #$%^&!

------------------

4. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

What you guys haven't figured out yet, is that Francis3 & Say_Jack are really Kelvin Cato trying to turn everyone against Dream, so we won't hate him so much. I guess he hasn't figured it out yet. If you want to get out from under Dream's enormous shadow, play with some heart & hustle every once in a while.

Blocked_by_olajuwon!!!,

Nice post.

------------------

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

What a great start, BBO. That is a fantastic post. I agree with every word.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

6. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I don't go respect for Hakeen either. What a cheap ripoff of Hakeem. [​IMG]

------------------
    Note: It was my cowhead. I started the cowhead craze, and my cowhead inspired Mooch to step up and bring us a victory. Thank you for your time. :D

7. blocked_ by_ olajuwon!!!

Thanks guys, I've always enjoyed reading all your threads. I'm happy there are some true Dream fans, not coat tail riders praising when a guy is doing good, and ignoring him once he stutters.

------------------

8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

bottom line , dream is the greatest rocket of all time and always will be. i hope he returns next season, which i think he will.

------------------
    http://www.democrats.com

mgh 1925-2001

9. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

You may be right, but personally I hope Steve can be that great of a Rocket one day as well.

BTW Dream is a bad mutha and is loved by the real fans. Hope he retires here.

------------------

10. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Steve Francis will be one of the greatest Rockets, but the Dream will forever be the greatest! [​IMG]

------------------
    They couldn't stop him in the early 90s; now they can't stop him in the 21st century
    -- Bill Worell on Phoenix defense on Hakeem

11. Say_Jack

Say_Jack Member

You guys can say what you want about me, but it is my opinion that Hakeem quit on the Rockets this year. When he found out he would not get his way and get traded, he came back and worked hard to rehabilitate his image in Houston, and improve his chances of joining a contender this year.

You may want Hakeem to come back next year, but he will be gone if SA, Dallas, or the Lakers come knocking.

------------------

12. Say_Jack

Say_Jack Member

------------------

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

now who can top ico1999 on fewest posts since Feb '99

14. University Blue

------------------
    <table width="17%" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr bgcolor="#333333"><td><div align="center"><font color="#0000CC"><font color="#0066FF">Natural Blues</font></font></div></td></tr></table>

[This message has been edited by University Blue (edited April 05, 2001).]

15. blocked_ by_ olajuwon!!!

I'm supporting Olajuwon wherever he goes, period. I guess Dream has been on such a consistent intangible level that once he produces an average game, we start to doubt him. Bottom line: Opponents start driving the lane like a freeway once Dream sits on the bench. Cato will block his share of shots. For him, it's either I'll block it or stare you down. Dream jumps at everything.

------------------

16. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Nice post Blocked. Never too late for an appearance ... loved yours!

This was posted by popeye (one of my favorite posters) even though I disagreed then (2-7-00) and still do today.

"Refusing to trade an aging , perennially injured big guy and a 9 ppg streak shooter with no 'D' and who shows signs of being 'old' at 29 years of age, for a seasoned 'youngster' like Gill who can put 12 ppg in the net every night, and play D all night long. Is a No Brainer."

We all see things from different perspectives. I look at Starke in a Utah uniform and cringe. Ewing in Seattle ??? Hakeem in any other teams color ... ??? There is a case for continuity.

regards

------------------

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, only a contending team?

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    I think my w**** is dead.