1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Greg Popovich a good coach?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr.Scary, May 8, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Most likely the reason you dont like him is he is a potch-faced jackass. He does the same job you or I could do with Duncan and Robinson on our team. I honestly think that 3/4ths of the leagues coaches could do just as well with the Spurs talent.

------------------
    "I may be mistaken, but I'm never wrong" -Barkley

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I don't like him either.

Is he a bad coach? no

Is he a good coach? no

Poppavich = mediocre

------------------
    snap crackle pop

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think Popovich is a good defensive coach,but not a good offensive coach.It's easy for him to get points because of Duncan and Robinson,but I think if he were coaching the Rockets we would have lost a lot more games this season.
    Rudy,Riley,Karl and even Sloan are better coaches than Popovich.

------------------

5. Cato=Bum

Cato=Bum Member

Popovich is a horrible coach. Anyone who would start and play Danny Ferry over Sean Elliott is a moron. I know Elliott is about 50 % or so, but i'll take a 10 % Elliott over Ferry, a "poor man's" Matt Bullard.

You are right, Popovich TOTALLY backstabbed Bob Hill, who was a much better coach than Popovich. He fired him RIGHT when David Robinson was getting healthy. Robinson had missed a bunch of games and the Spurs had a poor record. He fired him and promoted himself!...LOL!...

-Also, in the Book "Keepin it Real", Vernon Maxwell claims that Popovich called him a "rebellious (expletive used to insult black people)"

-Popovich is not a good coach at all. One of the worst in the league.

------------------
    Get Cato out of there...

6. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Coaches aren't X and O peopla any more. There job is to not pi$$ off the star players, which pop has been able to do. Duncan & David both love him and the team is winning.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's already in the class of Karl and Sloan, hell at least he's won a championship. This coming from a guy who gets nauseous everytime they show him on television.

If he wins, it would be hard to argue putting him in the same class as Rudy, even though I don't think he should be.

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

He's not only a coach, but also the GM.

Doesn't hurt when you tank a season for the Number One pick.

------------------

9. Toast

Toast Member

He's a fairly poor coach in my opinion. Any coach in the NBA or most college coaches could win about the same amount of games with the Spurs as Popovich.

As general manager, Popovich hired a coach who wouldn't be in it for the money as much as he'd be in it to have the best seat in the house to watch a very talented team compete for the NBA championship. Why pay Bob Hill to coach when he didn't have to? Blame the poor season instead of Popovich's personal agenda for firing a coach the city embraced, and his image isn't really tainted.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

10. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

Yes, Popovich has won a ring -- but you can be a mediocre coach and still win a championship, if your players are good enough. (Especially if they were playing at or near that level as a team before you showed up.)

I think most NBA coaches win as many games as their players' talent allows them to. The better coaches -- guys like George Karl, Pat Riley, and Larry Brown -- get their teams to overachieve on a consistent basis.

I also think, though, that there's a difference between regular-season coaching and playoff coaching. Riley's and Sloan's teams overachieve in the regular season because they get more effort from their players, but when everyone else's intensity goes up in the playoffs, their teams often have no higher level to go to.

Similarly, some coaches are better "finishers" (like Phil Jackson, getting existing talent to play at its peak level when it counts most), while others are "teachers" (like Larry Brown, getting the most out of lesser talent by improving their skills and being a whiz with X's and O's).

I don't think Popovich has shown much as a teacher, but you can make a case that he's a pretty good finisher.

Incidentally, regarding Bob Hill -- I doubt he's considered to be a very good coach, seeing as no one's hired him since he got dumped by SA.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by Swopa (edited May 08, 2001).]

11. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Horrible coach, decent assistants. A more seasoned Tim Duncan and a healthy DRob makes them pretty good this year.

Even Mike Dunleavy couldn't screw this team up. Well...uh, maybe.

------------------
    5..4..3..2..1.....We have lift off! Go Rockets!

[This message has been edited by BlastOff (edited May 08, 2001).]

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I mean, if you had a strong, veteran center, arguably the best player in the league, a terrific shooting guard, a vet point and an extremely deep bench, wouldn't you win a title?
    Rudy would have them go 78-4 this season. [​IMG]

------------------
    "They couldn't shoot, rebound, or pass, but other than that, they played great!"

-Bill Walton

13. Band Geek Mobster

I've disliked this guy ever since he appointed himself coach and ran Bob Hill out of town. You don't fire a coach when his superstar center has been hurt most of the season, what a joke.

Anyone can coach the Spurs, all of those guys are boyscouts, there wouldn't be any lockerroom problems that normal coaches have to deal with.

Once the admiral retires, we'll see how good of a coach Popovich is...

------------------
    Saturday, Donny, is shabbas, the Jewish day of rest. That means I don't work, I don't drive a car, I don't f***** ride in a car, I don't handle money, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as s*** don't f****** roll!

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

A close friend of mine frequently says:

"I'd rather be lucky than good".

That pretty much sums up Popovich.

Anyone want to guess what the records would be if the Rocks played this past season with Duncan and Popovich had Mo T?

------------------
    GATER

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Has anyone with Acne scars that bad ever won a championship before???

------------------
    Pollution is Killing the Earth..... and the main rockets forum!

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while

------------------
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I want to know what you all think of this guy. If we wins the championship this year, does it mean he belongs with some of the best coaches. Is he in the class of Rudy, Riley, Sloan or Karl?

Personally I dont think so. He backstabbed the previous coach to get his job. He might be better then I had originally thought, but I dont know why I just dont like the guy.

------------------

18. cson

cson Contributing Member

Pop IS a racist feck!

------------------
    C-son
    --------------
    "When life gives you lemons, Shut up and eat the lemons!" - Harry Solomon