1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Garner making a difference?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by franchise?..NOT, Aug 25, 2004.

1. franchise?..NOT

Letting starters go 6 and 7 innings. Playing hot hitters like Viz and Lamb instead of Jimy's deal of not wanting to undermine a struggling guys confidence. Actually daring to sit Bags for a much hotter Lamb when Bags is clearly struggling. Getting Lane in the lineup as a bat and defensively. Are these things helping the team win. I know that Viz is in because of injury and Hernandez and Backe have provided a boost to the rotation but would Jimy have sat Bags and Kent for guys who are on fire or stayed with the starters regardless of production?

The jury is still out but it looks like Garner is helping.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Given that they're only 1 game up in the standings... most cynics would probably give an emphatic 'no'...

But, I do like the way they play under Garner. We've seen far more rallies, offensive explosions, and a nice running game than anything we saw in Jimy's years.

The W-L really has a lot to do with the lack of a bullpen, and two of your main starting 5 being out due to injury. I only wish Garner had the opportunity to see what he could do with this team at full strength... I really like the way the offense has played thus far.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm saying no. It was on the players before. It's still on the players, today. There are things I like better about Garner..some I like better about Jimy. But on the whole, I don't think they make much of a difference.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I said that it was not all Jimy but that you can't fire the players.

This team has no emotional leaders in every day players.

They lack a certain fire.

I wish they were all as competitive as Oswalt.

DD

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Playing the Phillies has sure helped!!!

Managers don't make that much of a difference. This is especially true with a team like Astros where their offensive is suspect.

6. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Bagwell looks lifeless out there; it looks as if he is just going through the motions. With his recent comments combined with a lack of production, it looks like he may have been alienated by some of the players. Is anyone else getting a reading on this?