1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Carr stupid?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Summer Song Giver, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Summer Song Giver

Throw the damn ball away, too many times he's ran out of bounds for a loss instead of flipping the ball out of bounds. He just did it again costing us 6 yds and I've seen him do at least four times this year. Either the coaches aren't telling him or he doesn't understand that once outside of the tackles he can throw it away.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He's not as stupid as Dom Capers... how can you not even try to challenge that when the ball was clearly out? I know the announcers said that the officials may have told him he couldn't challenge, but I watched the field... the officials never went anywhere near Capers.

3. Summer Song Giver

I didn't/don't expect us to be on par yet talent wise with other teams around the league but stupidity, bad decisions and poor playcalling are inexcusable for any team, pop warner included.

We're still in this game but bad decisions are more times than not costly in hindsight.

I agree Cat.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Thats 2 games we let get away. I thought Carr played a decent game and he missed Bradford twice when he was open. J. Lewis has been a flat out bust so far. Fumbled 4times and one of those fumbles costed us 7pts. Bradford might be a pro bowler if he keeps up these stats and Gaffney is improving by the week. He was a steal in the second round.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He may have missed him once, but that second one was on Bradford. Carr hit him around the upper chest... Bradford has got to make that catch. No excuse for him dropping that one.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

That one doesn't fall on Capers. It's up to the coach's upstairs to determine if the ball came out and then they relay it to Capers for him to challenge.

Brent Jones is an idiot. The offcials never told the Texans that the play was over because a whistle. He made a few other stupid comments that made me wonder how this guy has a job.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Northcutt also fumbled on a kickoff return and Capers never challenged it.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

seriously...i may have my carr colored glasses on again...but the title of this thread is STUPID!!!

david carr continues to improve...he had as good a game as i've ever seen a rookie QB have yesterday. if bradford hangs on to the one he should have had yesterday he would have had another TD and over 300 yards passing.

special teams killed us in this one...fumbled punt leading to a gimme touchdown and not being able to cover the kick return were the two biggest plays of the game.

JERMAINE LEWIS IS EASILY MY LEAST FAVORITE TEXAN!! :mad:

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No doubt. He's done nothing to show that he's worthy of the money and the pick.

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I also think Carr has played much better then you should expect from a rookie thats taking a beating week after week.

When the hell is Young coming back ? Our line couldn't stop a high school D.

11. Summer Song Giver

Stupid is running out of bounds for a six yard loss.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read somewhere that Young was supposed to have started against the Browns. Did he?

13. MadMax

Young started yesterday...didn't make much of a difference, quite frankly.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm not making any excuses for a stupid play like that, but if you are getting sacked as much as he is you are just thinking about how to survive.

15. MadMax

and it's not like he's the only QB doing that...he may be worried about his blindside knocking the ball out from his hand if he goes into a throwing motion

16. Summer Song Giver

I know I'm probably coming out of left field with this but I feel the Texans were built to put butts in the seats. Offense brings the crowd defense wins championships.

What good is it to have a blue chip QB if he doesn't have time to throw the ball? IMO the Texans would have been better served to take Mckinnie number one or trade down and pickup Jammer, Roy Williams and one of the DT's, someone whose health is not so contigent on so many other variables as Carrs is. Hindsight is 20-20 but for all the credit the Texans brass got for building this franchise the right way I think most of the moves were done in the interest of selling tickets.

PS Please don't flame me, I'm hoping Carr survives until we can get some protection around him too.

17. MadMax

The fact is the Texans are leaps and bounds ahead of the Cleveland Browns given where the Browns were at this point of their first season. There are few teams that have a real QB that can be counted on...it appears Carr is that kinda guy. Taking a cornerback or a strong safety wasn't necessary...hell, they already drafted Glenn and Coleman, veteran corners with pro bowl experience. The defense is the strength of this team, so I have no idea where you're going with this. Dom Capers is a defensive-minded coach...they're clearly built that way. Where in the world do you get that this team is building around its offense? Because it used the first pick on a QB? A QB that all of the rest of the league said they'd take if they had the first pick, too?

Rookie QB's typically get sacked more than veteran QB's...they don't know how to use the protection to their benefit in the NFL yet. Carr is learning. Keep in mind, the Texans also through Boselli would be playing this year. Instead, they've had to start rookies on the OL...they didn't anticpate that. The injuries to Young and Schau have been frustrating as well.

Patience...geez this was the franchise's 5th regular season game!

18. Live

Live Member

Are you serious?

The kid goes out there, has his best game as a pro, makes several big-time superstar-caliber throws, and all you can point out is that he held the ball too long or didn't throw it away?!

Newsflash: He's been holding the ball too long all year, that's what rookie QBs tend to do. That's why rookie QBs tend to have a high # of INTs and sacks. Easily correctable.

C'mon, give credit where credit is due. Carr's blown away my expectations so far, the Texans are in great shape and hit a HR by selecting him.

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I thought Avion Black hit the holes much better when he was in there for the Philly game. Hopefully J. Lewis will have a breakout game against the Jags and Bengals.

20. MadMax

amen!! Avion Black showed me far more as a punt returner so far than Jermaine Lewis did!