1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Brandon Backe for real?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Mar 30, 2005.

?

Is Brandon Backe for real?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. To early to tell

27 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I think so but a lot of people don't. He had a terrific postseason versus the best lineup in baseball but his regular season wasn't that good. Do you think he can survive a whole MLB season starting since he hasn't really pitched untill the last couple of seasons. He really has struggled bad this spring but I think he could win 15 games with a decent offense. I also think he must get better on the road to reach that great level with Oswalt and Clemens.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think he is. If you can pitch in a tight, pressure-cooker game like he did in the NLCS, against some of the best bats in the game today...then you're "for real." Depending, I guess, on how you define, "for real."

[​IMG]

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

There's nothing to really add, we will know the answer in a few weeks.

4. MadMax

sidenote --

the more time passes, the more i think mfclark was right! :) sucks to be him!!!

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I'm more apt to believe that his regular season performance was more of what we will see from him as opposed to what he did in the postseason. If I am wrong, and he is more like the pitcher we saw in Oct, he could win 15-20 games.

6. MadMax

Jeriome Robertson or whatever the hell his name was...won 15 games with great run support.

I think we need to define, "for real." I don't know what you're asking.

Is he a legit MLB starter...I'd say that with a fair degree of certainty. Not absolutely certain, because things change from year to year. But fairly certain.

Is he a Cy Young winner?? I don't think so.

So what do you mean by, "for real??"

7. fya

fya Member

How bout Chad Harville and Mike gallo? Are they for real? LMAO

8. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I know alot of people say that spring training stats don't mean anything, but Backe had another rough outing today, taking his spring ERA to 6.57. I'm a little worried, but I'm hoping he can be a solid 4th starter for us this year.

Anyone notice that former farm hand DJ Houlton pitched four scoreless innings against us today? He's got an ERA of around 4.5 this spring, I think he has to make the 25 man roster or we can bring him back. What are the chances that he makes the team?

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

DJ Houlton probley won't make the team now considering they just named Scott Erickson there 5th starter.

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Quintero went 3-3 today so he is already better than Chavez.

11. NJRocket

Backe got shelled like a Palestinian on the gaza strip today

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Backe seems like a guy who would not do very well in spring training, because he relies so much on adrenaline, and getting hyped up for the bigger games.

That's probably why he ended up being a far better playoff pitcher than he was a regular season pitcher.

13. NJRocket

i agree.....but unfortunately, he needs to be successful in the reg season this yr if he is to get a chance to pitch in a big game...his doing well is no longer "gravy" for us....its more part of the main course