1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone else afraid?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by haven, Sep 11, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I am, but not in the way I thought I would be. I've been going between my bedroom and living room for the past hour or so...attempting to get some sleep, but ultimately coming back to the computer. Anyway, I'm scared doing that. It's almost like walking in my house after watching a scary movie and all the lights are out.

Weird.

2. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I feel like Cohen.

I'm not scared. More angry than anything else. I'm also at a heightened sense of awareness.

Remember Houston has the third most skyscrapers in the world tied with Hong Kong.
    • New York - 140
    • Chicago - 68
    • Houston & Hong Kong - 36

I think what I'm worried most about right now is retaliation by U.S. citizens on people of Middle Eastern decent.

Today at U of H, I was in the bathroom right before I was going to leave. I walk into the stall, and staring me right in the face is this grafitti "F*CK ARAB'S" (Yes, with the misplaced apostrophe). The letters were about a foot high. I immediately went and informed a woman in the student services center of Melcher Hall. She seemed busy and said she'd "get someone on it". I then went to one cleaning lady who told me that some other cleaning lady was cleaning that part of the building. So, I went looking for her. I finally did find her and asked her if she had something to clean marker off the bathroom wall. She said she did, and that she would clean it up. Hell, I felt like doing it myself, but left it in the hands of the THREE people I told.

The University of Houston has a large Middle Eastern and South Asian (Indian, Pakistanian, etc) population. Also, we are in Texas, so there is an indelible (?sp) redneck sentiment that runs deep.

Just a warning though, if I see some crap going down against a person who looks to be Middle Eastern, I'm using all my available resources to squash that threat.

3. haven

haven Member

Yeah, that's me too exactly. I had actually managed to drop off from sheer exhaustion, but then my dad called to check on me. And now I can't sleep again.

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I'll agree with you on that one, DREAMer. We should not remake mistakes we made in the past, and moreover, NO HATE.

5. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Not anger, just full of hate. Blinding, pulsing, throbbing hatred.

I know now is no the time for hatred but I can't help it. Can't help it at all.

Addendum --

I fear for all my American countrymen right now -- that includes those of Middle-Eastern decent :)

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Sonia: No... not scared... frightened maybe.
    Boris: Interesting distinction.

I'd say I'm scared for my friends across the country quite a damn bit. I share Cohen's fears. I see a nuclear blast occurring on our soil. If not tomorrow in Chicago or Boston, a few months from now during the Olympics here in Salt Lake.

Osama Bin Laden is too well organized. Want to hear something even scarier? He's patient. People that perpetrate acts of violence like what occurred today do so several months or years in advance. That's discipline. The people involved today all committed suicide. That's even more discipline. I can't remotely fathom that sort of belief system. I can't even convince myself to keep the fish that I catch.

Today was merely the beginning. Maybe one day one of Osama's men will betray him.... but not before he's murdered thousands more of us.

7. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Ya know, I haven't been scared this whole time, but I'm tired, and I want to go to bed, but for some reason, I'm fearful of that.

I can only imagine how the spectators must feel.

8. TIburon

TIburon Member

Its hard to realize that something like this has happened...

I personally have been in a situation where I worked that got robbed and they put us in a room and took the money...

When things like this happens you lose your security that you had... Sometimes people never get that back, it took me a while but in a second something can happen.... JUST IN A SECOND...

Now I'm not trying to compare being a victim of a robbery to being in a building that just collapsed and/or being on a plane that crashed into a building...

Right now all I feel is sadness for these people especially for the families... They have been through a lot...

God Bless those men and women working to save anyone they can...

When I see these men and women working together I get tiery eyed... Nothing matters now but getting anyone out thats alive...

Race, Religion, Social Class none of this matters right now, just helping your fellow man...

I don't feel hatred/anger... I'm just confused with the situation and know that whomever(terrorists) planned this tragic situation will be dealt with...

All I can do as person now is pray for the families, people involved in the rescue...

And also pray for our President George W. Bush, whether you like him or not, he's our president and he needs our faith and trust now more than ever....

God Bless you all...

9. PhiSlammaJamma

The moment that scared me the most was when it was noted that a plane was headed straight for DC. Basically, that's a missile headed straight at me. A Guided missile. Here I am thinking where is it going to land, and hoping to God someone shoots it out of the sky before it gets here. That's when I was most afraid. Today, I'm much better, but who knows what is next.