1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Introducing Jaren Jackson Jr

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Apr 5, 2023.

1. what

what Member

In case you haven’t been following him (and why would you be) he is a Memphis Grizzly, this guy is starting to become a straight-up problem.

You probably know that he has a knack for defensive highlight reel plays — and is currently blocking 3.0 shots a game and that his has one of the ugliest shot-put style 3 point shots. And that he somehow received enough votes to be elected to the allstar game by the coach’s vote.

What you probably didn’t know is that most of his advanced stats have incrementally improved and that he is seemingly getting just a little better at everything year after year.
    He has added 1 board a game to his game this year from 5.8 to 6.8. His effective fg percentage is up to .563.
    He is getting to the line more than ever — 4.7 a game.
    His points per game are at 18 and climbing, all while playing only 28 minutes a game and some of the stingiest defense this side of Alonzo Mourning.

And the scariest part — he is still not reached his potential yet.
    Jaren will be a top 10 player in the league in the next 2 years and don’t be surprised if he has a coming out party in this playoffs.

#1 what, Apr 5, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    don grahamleone likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

A top 10 player in 2 years? Why do people always have to jump out the window with hyperbole?

I like JJJr, but just stop it…

3. what

what Member

He is already good enough to make the all star team, and is the leading candidate for the defensive player of the year.

Most guys that are the level of defensive player he is, usually are terrible offensive players. But Jaren will quite possibly be a 20+ per game player by the playoffs this year. And is shooting 3s at a 35% clip. Not to mention his 7 foot frame is a matchup nightmare for anybody to guard.

Jarens biggest issue in the past has been his lack of aggressiveness on the offense. In fact the guy is only shooting 12 shots a game to get his 18 points. He has a lot of scoring potential he is still leaving on the table. But he is becoming more and more aggressive on that end. So it is not inconceivable that he becomes a 20+ point player and with his defense which is already some of the best we have seen in a long time. So yeah, hyperbole but also within the realm of possibilities.

He will never be a top 10 player in terms of scoring, but if he is 20 points per game plus 7 boards, a steal a game and 3.5 to 4.0 blocks a game. Yeah, that would be too 10 material.

4. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Literally loled at 4 blocks a game. Isnt chasing blocks precisely why he cant stay in games

5. what

what Member

It’s also why the grizzlies are top 2 in defensive efficiency.

6. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

I dont think you are understanding... Its not possible for him to get more blocks without fouling out

7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

He could be averaging 20 right now if he stopped fouling

8. what

what Member

He went from 2.3 blocks a game to 3.0 blocks a game and only went from 3.5 per game foul rate to 3.6 foul rate and while Jaren has had an issue with fouling he has consistently has brought his foul rate down.

Criticizing his foul rate at this point, seems to be misplaced because he is trending in the right direction.

Jontro likes this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

@what needed an Introduction.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

12. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I have always felt like he tries to do more than he is capable of. He should not be shooting as many 3s as he does. I dont feel he is a offensive player. He should focus on D and rebounding, but I know that is a young team and he is trying to be 'something' in the league. You see what their record is with him trying to be 'the man' this year....

JumpMan likes this.
  13. Rokman

Rokman Member

If only he could get over to a team with a great shooting coach. . . hmmmm

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I liked how he carried team USA to gold as a top 10 player

Jontro likes this.
  15. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

His struggles to create efficient offense for himself and others reminds me of #1 option Trevor Ariza. Looks out of his comfort zone. Doesn't have the creativity or handle to make plays. He's really missing Ja Morant collapsing and shifting defenses for him.

On defense, he doesn't want to do the dirty work. His FIBA performance should tell you that much. Steven Adams does all of that, allowing him to hunt and help weakside.

I think we often fall into the trap of believing all progress and development is a constant linear trajectory.."He's already this good at 23 years old? Imagine when he's 25!"

Not saying Jaren has peaked, but other than shooting, his game hasn't really grown since his rookie year. And it probably doesn't have to.
    I think its better that he's an efficient #3 guy who can devote more energy and attention to being an elite weakside shot blocker.

napalm06, roslolian and SamFisher like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I thought I would want him over Jabari...at this point, I think I prefer Jabari. More upside.

Also:

FLASH21, Jontro and roslolian like this.
  17. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hey @what, just checking in on your latest DD-esque curse.

JJJ doesn't seem to be anywhere close to his stats from last season. I wonder if it has anything to do with the scorekeepers being put on blast late last season for some very intriguing numbers to say the least.

Ahhh. That good ol' Memphis shield is sure going strong this season.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Put JJJ on a real contender, and he is much better defender than Bari.....Bari can shoot better.

Alperen, Jokic, Embiid's ability to draw fouls are above anything else in the league.

JJJ is a power forward, he cannot guard Alpe.

Bari and JJJ both have their little perks.

Memphis looks like a team that does not believe in itself and they already were one of the worst Offenses in the last years.

Dredd likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jabari is better because the dude is healthy as an ox.

JJJ spent the first 3 yrs of his career missing a ton of games.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Embiid missed 2 whole seasons as a very late rookie and soph and turned out alright, it depends on how you finish....