1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting things going on in RGV, effect Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by megastahr, Dec 12, 2013.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Was reading up on Canaan and Covington this morning and was blown away.

Then I was shocked no one on clutchfans was talking about it.

The team is looking to break a record of consecutive wins in D league.

Team is averaging 50 3 pointers a game!

Both Cannan and Covington are destroying down there.

Check this out:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/rgv_vipers_winning_streak_by_the_numbers_2013_12_10.html

With canaans play especially I think this effects the rockets trade situation. Either they can move a rotation PG or they can move Canaan.

I think that will make things really interesting with the Asik trade situation.

What about you guys?

2. NotChandlerParsons

I don't think Morey has ever been particularly concerned with the roster construction. I doubt it matters to him. If he wants to move Lin/Bev/Canaan he will, end of story.

3. NotChandlerParsons

Of course that strategy will change when he considers us to be a championship contender. But he doesn't, so it will continue for the time being.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

#TeamTroy

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

6. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

did t-will avg triple double d-league?
    where is he now?

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

T-Will posted a triple-double in the NBA as well.

The D-League isn't the NBA, but it gives young, developing NBA players a chance at playing time.

[​IMG]

8. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Plus ive read that they share similar philosophies in offense, so when a player does get called up from the Vipers to the Rockets because of injury, trade etc it makes the transition easier/faster because they run similar sets, plays etc

1 person likes this.
  9. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Canaan's putting up some good stats down there. Unfortunate that we are so packed in the PG spot.

8-0 on 21.4/9.5/4.5. 39% from the three.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanks Clutch !

Am watching the game live now !

DD

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

That's what i find the most interesting and important. They are developing their farm system to better ready players when it us time to be called up. The problem with young players is knowing the offense, set plays, philosophy, defensive positioning etc... This allows them to gain practice and knowledge to better as a fit in our offense and defense.

Huge in my mind.

1 person likes this.
  12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I was sure that had to be a mistake, and I was right. Their 3PT% is 50.7%, not really 50 3 pointers a game. Hell, they probably don't even average 50 2&3 pointers combined...

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

megastahr,

Do you listen to the Rockets home broadcast? I'm just curious because Bullard has mentioned the 50 threes thing several times. At least five.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

They've taken 384 three pointers thru 8 games. That's 48 per game. The coaches goal is 50 per game. They're scoring 131 ppg. Total shots made per game combined: 46.5.

It's not 50, but it's very impressive. Compare it to the big league leaders who make 37.4 per game.

15. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I still remember T Jones in D-League last year and he was one of the best players. When it comes to the NBA it is a totally different ball game because any scrub is as good as the best in the D-League.

Canaan and Covington are the only 2 NBA players in RGVs so they should do well. They are guaranteed major minutes in the D-League and no chance even for garbage time in the NBA. It will take a season or more to develop them into a role player. I still remember they both couldn't buy a basket in the Rockets pre-season for a few games.

16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Ah, 50 3pt attempts per game. That makes sense. But damn, that's a LOT of 3 pointers, and they're making half of them. Very impressive indeed.

Thanks for the clarification.

17. Raven

Raven Member

I hope Canaan enjoys snow, because he's probably heading to Minny next year. ;)

18. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Thanks clutch !

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think the strategy is more interesting to what the Rockets might do than the performance of any individual players.

Guys like Canaan, Covington, etc. may well have a future in the NBA, but they are just guys that Daryl Morey pretty consistently find. We've had plenty of similar stories on the roster (Brooks, Landry, Budinger, Beverley... etc.) and will continue to have them.

This 50 3 point attempts per game thing, though, is something different. The Rockets have attempted 3s at a high volume, but nobody does it at the rate that RGV does now. I wonder if Morey wants to see whether the extreme 3 point bombing strategy can work in the NBA and is now trying it out in at RGV. Will the Rockets soon be shooting 50 3 pointers per game?

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Definitely agree. I think Rockets are trying to get a more accurate picture of how 3 pt shooting, offensive rebounding, and transition defense work together. When a player is at spot X on the court and a shot goes up a spot Y, what path should player take that maximizes value of offensive rebounding and transition defense.