1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inside the Racist Republican Voter ID Sham in North Carolina

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I think the contents of this thread warrant bypassing discussion of itself and instead summarizing the opposition to voter ID's with a singular hashtag.

BTW, what is racist about having one's photo taken?

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for contributing, really deep and insightful stuff. I can tell you've absorbed the court's ruling and fallen back on the "What's so hard about x" defense when it was proven that legislators specifically requested information, based on race, that would impact certain voting blocs more than others.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn't care - he tows the the line - all that matters to him is that his side wins at any cost. Facts, morals, reality - none of that matters.

Republicans can do no wrong, there is no such thing as racism, Climate Change is a hoax, and anyone who refuses to remove a veil at a restaurant is clearly a domestic violence victim whom should be thrown out.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nothing at all is racist about having one's photo taken. What is racist is when legislators are documented at requiring voter ID in order to keep minority groups from voting.

Please try and keep up with the topic. Nobody ever claimed having a picture taken was racist.

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

You didn't know? My passport is racist. So is my job, as I have to have an ID badge with my picture on it.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That's beating up a strawman.

The suspicion of motive for implementing these polices stem from the notion that there is no legitimate evidence of voter id fraud yet mostly conservative legislators are pushing to 'fix' a problem that doesn't exit. It warrants a question of motive.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course nobody is accusing the idea of ID's for things as being racist. Not one person in this thread, or in general has done that. You can keep pretending that's all it is while ignoring the fact that the people who made these laws have been caught doing it to keep minorities from voting.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Three pages in and not one of the usual suspects has addressed the substance of the court ruling. It's as if nothing can be racially motivated if the perpetrator isn't screaming the n-word when they do it.

9. Svpernaut

I could keep going, because voter fraud DOES occur often. Is it widespread? We don't know - as it isn't actively investigated across the nation. You simply cannot say that it doesn't occur, and any instances of it should be a sound for alarm. Or does everyone forget, that the 2000 Presidential Election was decided by just 537 votes in Florida, when more than 5.8 million were cast?

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is the kind of post to be expected of someone who is willfully ignorant of the relevant history.

11. CometsWin

From your own link. LOL

Nearly half of Americans say that voter fraud occurs at least somewhat often according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll, a viewpoint at odds with studies showing it rarely occurs in U.S. elections.

And maybe you don't know, but voter ID requirements don't prevent registration fraud nor absentee ballot fraud which are by far the easiest methods of voter fraud. Good job, good effort.

12. Svpernaut

What relevant history is that? Requiring people to be ID when voting is done across the world. So Canada is racist? Poor people can make it to get an ID every 10 years. Get the hell out of here with race, it has nothing to do with it.

Poverty rates for blacks and Hispanics are above average (2.5-3 times that of whites), but there are far more white poor than any minority group. Whites outnumber blacks 6:1, and Hispanics 4:1. Math isn't that hard.

I grew up poor, and my grandmother was legally blind, and never drove in her life - and she was able to get an ID once every 10 years (all that is required for a TX ID card). Get the hell out of here with the idea that race is behind this.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Thank you.

So requesting election data is racist?

14. Svpernaut

I know what it says, that doesn't change the fact that IT DOES OCCUR. That's the reason I bring up Florida, 500 votes out of 5.8 million - is just .009%. A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION was decided by nine one thousandths of a percentage point. Thus proving, that it doesn't have to be widespread to make a big impact.

15. CometsWin

The necessity for the Voting Rights Act which had everything to do with race. The fact that once the Supreme Court lessened oversight over former Confederate States these states went right to voter ID laws that targeted minority voters.

Do you history much? Was Jim Crow instituted around the world? How about poll taxes and literacy tests? Did foreign countries target minorities by cherry picking which ID's they were most likely not to have in order to vote? Did foreign countries target minorities in limiting early voting to make it more difficult for them to vote? I mean really dude? Jesus.

16. CometsWin

You can't find any election in history in which anything near 500 votes were fraudulently cast. Can you even find 500 votes total that were fraudulently cast in all of US history? You're not proving anything but the idea that you can present theoreticals with no basis in fact. You propose that we disenfranchise millions of voters, largely on racial and economic lines (though it has nothing to do with race, all facts to the contrary), because you think that IT DOES OCCUR though you have no evidence that IT DOES OCCUR with any frequency whatsoever.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

A few things called: Slavery, the Civil War, Reconstruction, Civil Rights era -these are not really Canadian things, though it was the terminus for the underground railroad.

18. Svpernaut

Oh, so a few things that happened FAR BEFORE most Americans can trace their lineage to America?

Do you history much? Things have changed a bit... and I don't give a damn what other countries have done, good or bad, I care about this country. Me not wanting my presidential election decided by fraud, has nothing to do with the past and everything to do with democracy. I can't change the past, nor do I want to. We are who we are because of what we've been through. I focus on the FUTURE, while others focus on the past.

If one election is decided by fraud, that is one election too many - as it silences the democratic foundation of our country. It doesn't matter if it is an election in a small town, or across the entire country. The foundation of this country is democracy.

If you are a citizen, and have an ID, you should be able to vote. Your race only comes into play with it because people can't get over the past. The vast majority of Americans (white or not) can trace their lineage to post-slavery and post-Civil War - we are not the same nation from then. The same could be said of Jim Crow laws as well, as more than 30 million legal immigrants have come here since 1969, and more than 11 million illegal ones.

According to the US Census Bureau, minorities babies will make up 50% of all babies born in the US by 2020, and minorities will make up 56% of the nation by 2060. If you think history is going to repeat itself when it comes to racial segregation and rights issues, you need to stop being so melodramatic... as whites are going to be a minority in a matter of decades.

19. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Who mocked minorities? Why are you outright lying? Please provide proof for your statement.

20. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

If you were referring to my comments that you quoted from that thread, please explain how that is mocking minorities in any way? Is your reading comprehension really that bad? Or you just feel so insulated by the overwhelming majority of liberals in these threads that you feel you can lie and won't get called on it?